My Current Jeep Build Status

FireEye

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Some pictures of where I am on my Jeep build. You can just look at the pictures, but if you want all the lengthy details you can read on (at your own risk).

One of the great things about Jeeps is how much you can personalize them along with the availability of after-market parts. I have owned a Jeep Wranglers since 2009, and I have always wished the back could look like a WWII Willys Jeep, with a gas can on the driver’s side and the spare on the passenger side. I was always told this was impossible. Then I heard about Open Air Jeeps in Virginia Beach VA, and I talked to the owner about my wishes. He was excited for the project, and started to look for a bumper and tire carrier to modify, because almost all of them had a tire cutout/well in the center. He discovered a great option from Hauk Offroad. We ordered a bare metal bumper and tire carrier combo, and his shop went to work modifying it, then getting it powder-coated. I couldn’t be happier with the result. I love the look of the Hauk bumper, especially with the dome topped hex bolts, as well as the hinge mechanism that mounts to the tailgate so that everything opens together. It means I can’t put on huge tires, but I am okay with that trade off.

I originally had Mopar mud flaps on this Jeep, but the rear ones had to come off when the new bumper was added. I couldn’t find any after-market ones that would work or that I liked, so I modified the factory parts. Not perfect, but they match the front ones better now.

Other exterior changes include the wheels, which were powder coated at the same time as the bumper to save $, with black lug nuts and center caps that match the body color. I also added vinyl decals from then TacLifeShop (Etsy), including the flag ones that they custom printed for me from my design. I also removed the chrome Jeep letters on the fenders and the silver Trail Rated badge and put on black replacement ones. The front grill badge is the coat-of-arms of County Antrim Northern Ireland where my father was born. The license plate EYE AYE relates to my career as an Ophthalmologist in the Navy.

As for the interior, I was able to open up the dash console pieces and do some custom rewiring so I have an IPhone charging and data cord coming out of a Rugged Ridge phone mount. This means there are no cords dangling in front of the dash, and there are no phone mounts blocking the vents. The grab handle cover is a section from an old neoprene seat cover. I had a local tailor sew the edges and add Velcro, as well as adding stripes put on by a local Navy Exchange to represent my Navy retirement rank of Captain. Then there are a few Star Wars additions, such as the Millennium Falcon Sabacc dice, as well as a custom engraved plastic access label (those motivators are so often bad), done by the nice folks at American Awards and Graphics.

Next on the list will be a front bumper, inetrior overhead console panel and electronics.

Credits

1. 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Granite Crystal Metallic

2. Bumper and tire carrier https://haukoffroad.com/, modified by Open Air Jeeps https://openairjeeps.com/

3. Gas can: Midwest Can Company 5 Gallon Metal Jerry Can Gas #5810, Gas can carrier: Smittybilt Jerry Gas Can Holder #2798, Body Color gas can paining by Southern Greenbrier Collision Center.

4. Factory wheels, powder coated (same time as bumper), with Quadratec Classic Acorn Style Wheel Lug Nuts (Black) and Mopar Center Caps in Granite Crystal (body color)

5. Decals, including custom flag hood decals, from TacLifeShop on Etsy.

6. Knuckle Coupler - Trailer Hitch Receiver Cover: P.I.Engineering #560-199

7. Rugged Ridge Dash Multi-Mount Phone Kit #13551.23

8. Access sign: American Awards and Graphics http://www.americanawards.com/

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5407

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5417

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status Split Screen

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5437

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_1792

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5536

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5528

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5525

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5532

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5531

Jeep Wrangler JL My Current Jeep Build Status IMG_5478
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheGannon6

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Looking for advice.... I ordered a 21 JLU Granite Crystal Met Sport. Hard top manual. I am going to do lift, wheels and tires upon delivery. Was think 2 inch lift and I like the Fuel Beast wheels. Looking for any help or pics for inspiration. I want a tire that has an aggressive look but not too loud on the road. Thanks for the help!