mjohns57

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I stopped using bug spray. While doing a 12 day horse back ride across Michigan, I had an old cowboy/Doctor show me a cool tip for going bugless. Vanilla extract will keep biting insects at bay. Black Flies, nats, mosquitoes and horse flies will leave you alone. Just put some vanilla on your hands and rub it on any exposed skin. You can thank me later.
Do you think it is the alcohol, or the vanilla? How often to reapply? And I assume this is real vanilla and not the imitation.
Yeah, I stopped using bug spray. While doing a 12 day horse back ride across Michigan, I had an old cowboy/Doctor show me a cool tip for going bugless. Vanilla extract will keep biting insects at bay. Black Flies, nats, mosquitoes and horse flies will leave you alone. Just put some vanilla on your hands and rub it on any exposed skin. You can thank me later.
How often to reapply? I assume this is real vanilla and not the imitation stuff. I used the elm/lemon bug spay and it worked ok. Assumed safer then Deet, but will try out the vanilla. Thanks!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
no. Not "completely non-relevant." Reviewers review stuff. He Even creates a list of recommended products AND sells them with an affiliate fee on Amazon. Good for him, it’s not like he hides it. That wasn’t my point. You simply dismissed the value of everything he promotes, which is patently false. Either you have an issue with specific things he recommends- things that are relevant to this thread and therefore of value to the readers here, or you’re just spouting empty opinions that you dislike a person or their business model. Therefore I return to my claim that your original statement of "He's a paid fucking shill" is a pretty pointless comment. it’s like playing chess with a pigeon - you walk in, knock over the pieces, shit on the board, then strut around like you won the game. I suggest letting the adults talk and you sit this one out.
If he simply does a good reviews for everything, which he does, he's a paid shill.

But it's your money and if you want to take his recommendations go for it. Nobody is stopping you.

But when I am researching something and one of his reviews pops up I actually take it as a negative - as it means the product he's promoting manufacturer has had to stoop to paying for good reviews which should make anyone go hhhhmmmmmmmmm?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
This is my packing list I keep in the notes app in my phone. Most of it stays in a tote I just grab and go.

Tools To Carry
  • Ratchet strap
  • Shop towels
  • Air compressor
  • Recovery gear
  • Zip ties
  • Socket adapters
  • Motor oil
  • ATF+4
  • Gear oil
  • Ratchet extensions
  • Hammer
  • 18-24mm deep sockets
  • 3/4 socket
  • Trash bags
  • Toilet paper
  • Water jugs
  • Lighter
  • Wrenches. 8mm-24mm and SAE
  • Tire deflator
  • Loctite
  • Tire repair kit
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Duct Tape
  • Spark plug socket 5/8”
  • Torx bits
  • Pliers
  • Starter fluid
  • Steering/ pitman socket
  • Axle nut socket.
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • Pry bar
  • Craftsman tool kit (sockets)
  • Bottle jack and extensions/base plate
This is a great list - not sure where to put my passengers once I load up my Jeep with everything on this tread. In a seriousness- many great ideas.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah... gotta say, I’m with @oceanblue2019 re: shills and their products (paid shill is redundant). I won’t go so far as to count it against a company though.

Here’s the thing: you can’t look at these types of videos as reviews; think of them as advertisements instead and you’ll be much closer to the mark. Now having said that, it’s entirely possible that this trail recon guy only shills products which he deems worthy or high quality enough to back, and if he’s got a reputation he wants to uphold then that may hold him to some standard and the products may all be great. That’s a judgement call you’ll have to make on your own.

But for my part I tend to go out of my way to avoid advertisements. I try to seek out independent reviews and comparisons. Definitely don’t read all the positive reviews on a manufacturer’s own website. Just my personal approach.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yeah... gotta say, I’m with @oceanblue2019 re: shills and their products (paid shill is redundant). I won’t go so far as to count it against a company though.

Here’s the thing: you can’t look at these types of videos as reviews; think of them as advertisements instead and you’ll be much closer to the mark. Now having said that, it’s entirely possible that this trail recon guy only shills products which he deems worthy or high quality enough to back, and if he’s got a reputation he wants to uphold then that may hold him to some standard and the products may all be great. That’s a judgement call you’ll have to make on your own.

But for my part I tend to go out of my way to avoid advertisements. I try to seek out independent reviews and comparisons. Definitely don’t read all the positive reviews on a manufacturer’s own website. Just my personal approach.
Thanks, the best recommendation is from someone who paid hard earned dollars, and after some usage states they would buy it again.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Not exactly cheap but if I'm out and about alone or with only one rig and there is no cell coverage I always carry a Garmin in-reach for emergencies.
Sponsored