First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I have one of those Kobalt tool kits from Lowe’s. Has sockets in both metric and standard along with a slew of bits. It was 100 bucks. Has something like 200 pieces total.
You can probably get away with something much smaller. If you want be able to tackle most situations this can work, but all of the bolts on the JL should be metric. If not, you might need 1 or 2 SAE sockets, but probably not a whole set. Just depends on what you need.

HF Icon sells no skip sizes or you can get the cheapo pitsburg ones and go to northern tool and pick up the skip sizes.
Sponsored

Danny123000

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
You can probably get away with something much smaller. If you want be able to tackle most situations this can work, but all of the bolts on the JL should be metric. If not, you might need 1 or 2 SAE sockets, but probably not a whole set. Just depends on what you need.

HF Icon sells no skip sizes or you can get the cheapo pitsburg ones and go to northern tool and pick up the skip sizes.
Probably could but it serves as my general use house kit. All about dual use in my household.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
what's the difference between recovery vs tow strap?
Recovery is what you do after a night of Bombay Sapphire martinis.

A tow strap located between your legs is used by your wife after such a night.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
Ahh.... the coat hanger - two sets of jumper cables and two extra batteries (taken out of trail buddies vehicles) for 3 total and you have a welder. Ya need a way to recharge them. I forget what actual welding rod the guy that showed this trick said you could use. He also said welding rods packed in the regulate tube would be powder and metal along the trail. Not the best but hey.... JB weld can’t fix everything.

AND - tools are great things. They need an operator though. if you take Medication bring extra. I can hold 4 days worth of heart and blood meds in one of those aluminum canisters that attach to a key ring

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Got myself Ratchet Straps
Saved me from needing $2000-$3000 wrecker service, vacation days lost.....or just abandoning it altogether and bussing home. It already had 185k on it and due for a clutch.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Cheap Essential Offroading Equipment / Gear List RatchetStra

Coming off big steps prior to Crack, tranny broke loose; drive train shifted 6" to the passenger side buckling and locking up knuckles to rear diff. Ended up using a Come-Along bungied to the farm jack bolted to front bumper to reposition drive train on the trail. Removed tire carrier prior to running Golden Spike to yield a favorable departure angle. Luckily bought ratcheting straps for keeping beer and spare from shifting. Speaking of unintended consequences! Fine tuned the alignment job with the strap. Whole trail fix took 45 minutes. Continued through without further issues. That same strap was still holding the XJ together 100,000 miles and many trails later till stolen. So, a $4 Harbor Freight ratcheting strap saved my trip, several grand in towing, repairs, and transportation charges. Straps flex, stretch, compress, twist, tighten. Welds do not.

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
reading this I could only think....geese you put all this together and you need a trailer to carry it all :CWL:
Here's a better solution than dragging a trailer up Pritchett.
Bringing all the good luck you can carry is helpful too.

FabulousDeal.jpg

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is my packing list I keep in the notes app in my phone. Most of it stays in a tote I just grab and go.

Tools To Carry
  • Ratchet strap
  • Shop towels
  • Air compressor
  • Recovery gear
  • Zip ties
  • Socket adapters
  • Motor oil
  • ATF+4
  • Gear oil
  • Ratchet extensions
  • Hammer
  • 18-24mm deep sockets
  • 3/4 socket
  • Trash bags
  • Toilet paper
  • Water jugs
  • Lighter
  • Wrenches. 8mm-24mm and SAE
  • Tire deflator
  • Loctite
  • Tire repair kit
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Duct Tape
  • Spark plug socket 5/8”
  • Torx bits
  • Pliers
  • Starter fluid
  • Steering/ pitman socket
  • Axle nut socket.
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • Pry bar
  • Craftsman tool kit (sockets)
  • Bottle jack and extensions/base plate

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know about brake line caps? Would have saved me a headache had I had some when I had an issue in Moab earlier this year.
Not real sure on sizing or best type of plug/caps to carry. Thinking about at the location where tubing turns into the flex lines

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Anyone know about brake line caps? Would have saved me a headache had I had some when I had an issue in Moab earlier this year.
Not real sure on sizing or best type of plug/caps to carry. Thinking about at the location where tubing turns into the flex lines
Vice grips on the flex line also work in a emergency to stop a leak.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
jealous, or do you have a legitimate issue with what he recommends? Anybody that does monetized videos on youtube is shilling something, so your statement is pretty vacuous.
Really not jealous as accept it is his "job" to promote products.

Have you ever seen him say a product was bad?

Have you ever noticed the greatest product ever is no longer in use 3 months later?

Have you noticed having the latest Jeep de-jour as its what the vendors want to sell product for? Eg: JT.

So anything he suggests needs to be taken as a paid endorsement and completely non-relevant in the decision making process.

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
So anything he suggests needs to be taken as a paid endorsement and completely non-relevant in the decision making process.
no. Not "completely non-relevant." Reviewers review stuff. He Even creates a list of recommended products AND sells them with an affiliate fee on Amazon. Good for him, it’s not like he hides it. That wasn’t my point. You simply dismissed the value of everything he promotes, which is patently false. Either you have an issue with specific things he recommends- things that are relevant to this thread and therefore of value to the readers here, or you’re just spouting empty opinions that you dislike a person or their business model. Therefore I return to my claim that your original statement of "He's a paid fucking shill" is a pretty pointless comment. it’s like playing chess with a pigeon - you walk in, knock over the pieces, shit on the board, then strut around like you won the game. I suggest letting the adults talk and you sit this one out.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
"it’s like playing chess with a pigeon - you walk in, knock over the pieces, shit on the board, then strut around like you won the game........“
Depending on the number of forums you visit you may get me for copyright infringement. Great visual!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Bug spray.
Yeah, I stopped using bug spray. While doing a 12 day horse back ride across Michigan, I had an old cowboy/Doctor show me a cool tip for going bugless. Vanilla extract will keep biting insects at bay. Black Flies, nats, mosquitoes and horse flies will leave you alone. Just put some vanilla on your hands and rub it on any exposed skin. You can thank me later.
Sponsored