Ultron

Ultron

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Lowe’s has kits that fit your parameters.
I think my plan will be assemble a list of the tools used in trail fix write-ups/manuals/etc so I can get only the stuff that I need and carry nothing that I don't need, and print all the fix instructions out to keep inside the toolbag. Then anyone will be able to make the fixes and have the right tools.
Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know what you all think, if you have any additions I should make, or stuff that's essential to you!
Thanks for making the list. I'm on the same bandwagon as you.

• Got myself Ratchet Straps for fixing unseated tire beads as well as to tie things down in case shit breaks.
https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Heavy-Ra...52-20&linkId=f8d36e8bdb3a688276af095a5f7bb019

• Maybe Max Tracks Recovery boards? They are not cheap. You may not need it if you have a winch or someone to help you recover. And sounds like you don't have much mud or snow to deal with.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I also recommend a military e tool for a shovel. It collapses down to a very small size, and it can be configured into many different shapes. The e tool can literally be used as an axe to cut down trees. As an Army Combatives instructor, I taught how to use it as a weapon too. You can literally decapitate someone with it. Sorry to be dark, but I wanted to emphasize how useful this tool can be - and it’s only $25 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Military-Ori...ocphy=9012308&hvtargid=pla-403695446807&psc=1

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely add this:

550 cord, aka paracord, aka Type III Nylon, aka survival cord. 100’ or more.
Tanner, we cross posted at the same time. Good copy on 550 cord; I carry it, and forgot! I posted above about the e-tool for a shovel. Thoughts?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Regarding tools: I carry a small kit of sockets, plus a set of deep sockets, medium breaker bar, and two torque wrenches. The small box/kit for sockets and ratchet is general purpose. The torx and deep socket set is for specific bolts/parts on my JT. Carrying one of those 1000pc sets is just unrealistic. I have what I will need for my Jeep, and that should be enough for most other Jeeps as well. I have 2 torque wrenches because some parts need as little as 5lb-ft of torque, while the wheels need 130lb-ft. It all fits under my seats, along with heavy gauge jumper cables, straps, tie downs, hammers (yes big and small, both rubber), wrenches (because sometimes you have to apply opposite force to a nut when using a socket - like on sway bar disconnects).

Actually, here is my list
  • 30pc Standard and Metric tool set -
  • 10pc Deep Socket Metric set - Harbor Freight
  • Torx Bit set - Harbor Freight
  • 5-20lb torque wrench - harbor freigh
  • Extensions and adapters for said sockets - you would not believe how many spaces there can be where it is too short or too long for one bit, I've had to use several in conjunction. No need for a set
  • Box to keep the loose bits/deep sockets/torx/extensions as none will come all in a box with everything nicely organized without also giving you a bunch of stuff you won't need. I'm currently using a zip loc bag
  • 20-150lb torque wrench - HF
  • Breaker bar
  • Pliers and Allan key set (for winch parts)
  • Rubber mallet
  • Heavy duty jumper cables - some sort of ones for truck, big set, Tractor Supply was about $100
  • Recovery strap - 30ft 8k lbs working load
  • Snatch block
  • D-ring shackle, 4T
  • Soft shackle for use with the snatch block
  • blocks for tires
  • bottle jack - 20T HB that can go up 18.75" - I may go to a smaller one as it barely fits under the axle/pumpkin when lowered and on a level surface. If Jeep is in mud/soft surface I'll need to get lower under it
  • Tarp - large enough to cover my truck
  • Moving blanket - to lay down on to work or use to put stuff on
  • SB Air compressor - 5.65 cf - I have inflated 3 sets of 35" tires and a set of 37" tires consecutively without it being too hot to handle
  • flashlights - several, some headlamps, some regular, some of those that can be standing or attach to metal via magnet
  • 3 sets of Mechanix gloves - because someone may be helping you and not be prepared; one set is hi-viz
  • Shop towels
  • Regular small towels
  • siphon kit for fuel
  • funnel - one that I know can reach and stay in the fuel tank inlet and the engine oil inlet
  • duct tape roll
  • Leatherman Wave/Charger with bit set
  • Factor 55 winch line splicing kit
  • Magnet block - can pick up 250lbs and has attachment point for a string - saw one guy lose a wheel/tire into a deep creek. I'd like to think I want to be able to fish stuff like that out if need be, takes up only a little room
  • Couple pocket knives
  • Butane lighter
  • Tire deflators
  • Tire pressure gauge (yes my compressor has one and my digital dash has one, but this is cheap backup)
  • Fire extinguisher
  • ratchet straps
  • Smittybilt shovel

I'd say except for the tire blocks, air compressor, bottle jack, tarp, blanket, fire extinguisher, and ratchet straps, everything fits under the seat. The rest go behind the driver seat (have a child seat on the driver passenger so it works well).

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Tanner, we cross posted at the same time. Good copy on 550 cord; I carry it, and forgot! I posted above about the e-tool for a shovel. Thoughts?
Oh yes I see your post now and definitely agree- a good military issue e-tool can be invaluable in any number of situations. Only word of caution is that the link you posted may not be shipping legit mil spec e-tools anymore based on the recent reviews. I happen to have three or four of them in my garage so I’m covered, but others should make sure they’re buying a quality one. Everyone check your local military surplus stores where you can handle it in person!

550 cord is super versatile. Combined with a knife and lighter, you can do so much with it, including making a great shelter out of a military-issued poncho. (The lighter is to burn the ends so they don’t fray but I’m sure you know that Jeff!)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs

These videos are from Trailrecon. former military guy that does some great trips and builds great videos. wont steer you wrong. very worth your while

He explains what he has and why he has it.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
JB weld, some pepper (to put in radiator to fix small leaks if needed) and some butyl tape and hose clamps.
Yep. Silicone tape works great as well. It’s self adhering and can be water proof to repair hoses.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yes I see your post now and definitely agree- a good military issue e-tool can be invaluable in any number of situations. Only word of caution is that the link you posted may not be shipping legit mil spec e-tools anymore based on the recent reviews. I happen to have three or four of them in my garage so I’m covered, but others should make sure they’re buying a quality one. Everyone check your local military surplus stores where you can handle it in person!

550 cord is super versatile. Combined with a knife and lighter, you can do so much with it, including making a great shelter out of a military-issued poncho. (The lighter is to burn the ends so they don’t fray but I’m sure you know that Jeff!)
Roger that, brother, on burning the ends! I didn’t look at the reviews of the e-tool, good catch, and thanks! I still, somehow ;), have an e-tool and carrier left over, with a poncho and a gortex, left over after I cleared supply. After 30 years, I was a bit over $300 short during turn-in, but my supply sergeant, who I supervised and who retired a few months after me, apparently “lost” my signed statement of charges. It was also never FLIPLD (report or survey) either...

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

These videos are from Trailrecon. former military guy that does some great trips and builds great videos. wont steer you wrong. very worth your while

He explains what he has and why he has it.
He's a paid fucking shill.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A puffy blanket that packs down small in case your going wheeling in colder climates.
Or a Mylar survival/trauma blanket. They are quite warm and take up almost no space.
Sponsored