Sponsored

Ultron

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm assembling a list of mostly cheap (under $100) things that I'm acquiring as essentials for my new Jeep. A lot of it I had borrowed from friends on previous adventures, and since I don't have a car payment this month I figured I'd use that hole in my budget to get all the things I feel I need on my trips. None of it is Jeep specific, just general leaving the pavement stuff. Here it is in no particular order.

• Portable air compressor - I went with a VIAIR 400p because I don't want to wait forever for me and my friends to air up (this is the only item that was over $100).
  • Fire extinguisher - so much cheaper than a burned out Jeep or starting a forest/brush fire.
  • Shovel - I found an all metal 30" D handle spade shovel for under $30 to dig my way out of sand or a hole for the call of nature.
  • Walkie-talkies/comms - CB is popular. FRS is the cheapest and usually all you need. GMRS is a little more powerful, but requires a $85 license. Ham is best and can be cheap.
  • Portable grill - my friend had a char-broil charcoal grill (~$35) for a couple years and it worked great so I picked one up. It's cheap but it works.
  • Tarp and bungee cords - sit on it, sit under it. Get a hi-vis one so you don't forget it, and can use it as a flag to find base camp/attract help.
  • Cheap sunglasses - they don't look good, but what's really not cool is not being able to see nature in all its glorious beauty because you or a passenger lost or broke sunglasses. Also cheap because they might get stolen, but not so cheap that they don't have UV protection.
  • Gloves - I have some big thick leather work gloves that stay in there, and mechanix gloves in a bag that usually comes with me.
  • Water - I have a couple Nalgene 96oz canteens. They take up basically no space when unfilled. Also a water filter and water purification tablets if I get caught in a pinch but find some water.
  • Emergency food bars - 3600 calories per rice-krispy treat sized bar. If you NEED to eat one they'd probably taste really good at that point. Or take a little nibble for lunch if you forgot/ran out of food.
  • Tire deflator - It can be really cheap and be a stick, but there are much better cheap options too. Air down to proper levels for the terrain.
  • First aid kit - look at the contents of popular kits, then buy 2 or 3 generic empty first aid bags and buy and assemble the contents yourself. Limit it to things you have the knowledge to use, you aren't the doctor from Master and Commander. Now you have a couple for the price of one and can leave one in your Jeep and one in the hiking bag/at home/other Jeep/etc.
  • Recovery strap (NOT tow strap) - be the one who has their own recovery gear to potentially break if someone has to pull you out, at the very least. Don't get stuck and need to ask for help AND gear. Or learn how to use it properly and help others as well.
  • Jumper cables - to help those in their TJ's who left their headlights on with the doors off and walked away like a cool guy walks away from an explosion.
  • Trash bags - put both yours and the trail degenerates trash in one, and throw it all away when you're done! Have a roll of them so others can help too. Go heavy duty because you don't want anything leaking inside.
  • Paper towels - those blue shop ones are my favorite.
  • Passengers/convoy - if watching 127 Hours has taught me anything about going out alone, it's don't.

Let me know what you all think, if you have any additions I should make, or stuff that's essential to you!
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Great list - should be a sticky IMO.

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Maybe add some cheap rain gear, never know if you need to do anything on the outside while it is raining. Great list, thanks for sharing.
That's a good one that I should have mentioned! I blame my home base being a desert for leaving that one out. My favorite is a poncho because you can tie the hood to make it a tarp too, and it's easy to take on and off.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assembling a list of mostly cheap (under $100) things that I'm acquiring as essentials for my new Jeep. A lot of it I had borrowed from friends on previous adventures, and since I don't have a car payment this month I figured I'd use that hole in my budget to get all the things I feel I need on my trips. None of it is Jeep specific, just general leaving the pavement stuff. Here it is in no particular order.

• Portable air compressor - I went with a VIAIR 400p because I don't want to wait forever for me and my friends to air up (this is the only item that was over $100).
  • Fire extinguisher - so much cheaper than a burned out Jeep or starting a forest/brush fire.
  • Shovel - I found an all metal 30" D handle spade shovel for under $30 to dig my way out of sand or a hole for the call of nature.
  • Walkie-talkies/comms - CB is popular. FRS is the cheapest and usually all you need. GMRS is a little more powerful, but requires a $85 license. Ham is best and can be cheap.
  • Portable grill - my friend had a char-broil charcoal grill (~$35) for a couple years and it worked great so I picked one up. It's cheap but it works.
  • Tarp and bungee cords - sit on it, sit under it. Get a hi-vis one so you don't forget it, and can use it as a flag to find base camp/attract help.
  • Cheap sunglasses - they don't look good, but what's really not cool is not being able to see nature in all its glorious beauty because you or a passenger lost or broke sunglasses. Also cheap because they might get stolen, but not so cheap that they don't have UV protection.
  • Gloves - I have some big thick leather work gloves that stay in there, and mechanix gloves in a bag that usually comes with me.
  • Water - I have a couple Nalgene 96oz canteens. They take up basically no space when unfilled. Also a water filter and water purification tablets if I get caught in a pinch but find some water.
  • Emergency food bars - 3600 calories per rice-krispy treat sized bar. If you NEED to eat one they'd probably taste really good at that point. Or take a little nibble for lunch if you forgot/ran out of food.
  • Tire deflator - It can be really cheap and be a stick, but there are much better cheap options too. Air down to proper levels for the terrain.
  • First aid kit - look at the contents of popular kits, then buy 2 or 3 generic empty first aid bags and buy and assemble the contents yourself. Limit it to things you have the knowledge to use, you aren't the doctor from Master and Commander. Now you have a couple for the price of one and can leave one in your Jeep and one in the hiking bag/at home/other Jeep/etc.
  • Recovery strap (NOT tow strap) - be the one who has their own recovery gear to potentially break if someone has to pull you out, at the very least. Don't get stuck and need to ask for help AND gear. Or learn how to use it properly and help others as well.
  • Jumper cables - to help those in their TJ's who left their headlights on with the doors off and walked away like a cool guy walks away from an explosion.
  • Trash bags - put both yours and the trail degenerates trash in one, and throw it all away when you're done! Have a roll of them so others can help too. Go heavy duty because you don't want anything leaking inside.
  • Paper towels - those blue shop ones are my favorite.
  • Passengers/convoy - if watching 127 Hours has taught me anything about going out alone, it's don't.

Let me know what you all think, if you have any additions I should make, or stuff that's essential to you!
Jamie, don’t forget toilet paper. Great list! For cheap sunglasses, I HIGHLY recommend the safety sunglasses sold at Lowe’s. They are VERY cheap, impact rated, and UV rated - for around $10. And they look really darn good too! I wear them every day. See attached pic of my ugly mug. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL My Cheap Essential Offroading Equipment / Gear List 65CBE9B0-37D8-4941-8647-4F4ADF5DAE74

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You forgot zip ties. And duct tape.

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You forgot zip ties. And duct tape.
Good ones! Such a staple that I forgot to put them on the list. I guess some wd-40 or grease should also be on there for the other end of things that should/shouldn't move.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Good ones! Such a staple that I forgot to put them on the list. I guess some wd-40 or grease should also be on there for the other end of things that should/shouldn't move.
JB weld, some pepper (to put in radiator to fix small leaks if needed) and some butyl tape and hose clamps.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Small kit of electrical connectors and E tape. I also carry a Microstart jumper battery.

Its personal preference but we always carry firearms. (lions and tigers and bears oh my)

Great list !

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Any specific ones you had in mind? This is actually next on my list to purchase so that I can stop taking tools from my garage all the time :facepalm:
Not a clue, David. I’m in the same place you are with that. I usually grab my socket wrench set, star driver set, and a BFH - big fucking hammer ;)

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
And a tool kit too.
I left this one off the list for those that might not be as mechanically inclined. Does anyone sell a kit that only comes with just the sockets/torx bits/etc for Jeep trail repairs? Or even just a list to put together our own? It would be nice to have a Jeep kit that can stay in there or its own separate bag instead of digging through my toolbox each time to grab what I think I might need.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Any specific ones you had in mind? This is actually next on my list to purchase so that I can stop taking tools from my garage all the time :facepalm:
Every tool needed to R&R whatever you can bust on the trail and carry a replacement for.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I left this one off the list for those that might not be as mechanically inclined. Does anyone sell a kit that only comes with just the sockets/torx bits/etc for Jeep trail repairs? Or even just a list to put together our own? It would be nice to have a Jeep kit that can stay in there or its own separate bag instead of digging through my toolbox each time to grab what I think I might need.
Lowe’s has kits that fit your parameters.
Sponsored