First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I took delivery of my new Punk'n Metallic Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara yesterday, factor ordered on April 29, 2018.

The following is a summary of the order, build and delivery process. I hope this might help other Canadian JL owners manage their expectations.

Order, Build and Transport Process:
I started by circulating an RFQ (request for quotation) among the regional Jeep dealers near Vancouver, British Columbia and selected the one with the deal that best matched my needs and goals. I ended up at invoice plus about $300 and the lowest doc fees charged in this area. It was a hassle-free experience as I did not have to talk to any car salespeople until I had made my selection and was ready to place a deposit on the order. The order was placed on April 29, 2018, a Sunday, and I had my VIN about 4 days later.

The JLUS was built and received KZ status (released for shipping) on May 29th. Rail transport got it to the local rail yard on June 14 where it sat until it was finally delivered to my dealer on July 18. As I was out of town I was unable to take delivery until Aug 2.

Dealer Delivery:
My JLUS was ordered through Maple Ridge Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, who "claims" to be the highest volume dealer in Canada. I emailed weeks earlier and confirmed one week ahead that I would be there to take delivery at 10:30 AM, Aug 2.

Upon arrival at the dealership, the Jeep was not ready for delivery. After about 30 minutes it was brought out front partially washed. It was my impression that it was badly soiled and the salesman dared not bring it out in that condition but was unable to get it properly washed. In any case, it was not ready for delivery at the scheduled time.

The salesperson appeared somewhat surprised that I stated a need to do an inspection prior to handing over the cheque and completing the paperwork. That inspection turned up the following, things I was looking for with the knowledge gained from this forum and a model/option specific checklist:

- Fuse Panel: Nine fuses and/or relays were found to not be completely seated. The salesperson commented that fuses were like an extension cord, as long as it was partially in it would work fine. Needless to say, our opinions did not jive.

- Window Sticker: There was no window sticker and the salesperson stated they just threw them out. I did note that none of their cars on the lot had them displayed. I was a little ticked but fortunately, I had previously gotten a copy of my window sticker online.

- Fuel Level: The fuel level was in the red zone just above empty. This, of course, limited the length of our test drive without an additional hassle and delay getting them to put some more fuel in. It was filled up, without objection, prior to us taking delivery.

- Tire Pressure: No more than two of the five tires was set to the same pressure and all were above the door sticker's recommended 36 psi. As all the tires had to be softened, it was a fast and easy fix after we got the Jeep home but it should have been done during the PDI.

- Aux Switch Package: A package of connectors and shrink tubing is included with the optional auxiliary switches in the cold weather group. The baggy was no were to be found and the salesperson came up with a number of BS stories to justify that no such package exists. He even went into a discussion with the parts manager and came back with a story that that part was discontinued as everything required was now pre-installed. Only after I told him that I had had enough made-up stories did he finally introduce me to the parts manager. He did not believe me either, stating that none of there Wrangler came with this. I finally took him onto the JL Wrangler Forum and found some posts on the subject. We were able to find an image with a readable part number. He did not have that part in stock but it is supposed to be available for me to pick up this afternoon. I know the baggy is of no material consequence but I just hate being lied too.

The delivery process was an ordeal with lots of wasted time just standing or sitting around for no apparent reason. We did not drive off the dealer's lot until more than 2 1/2 hours later. The dealer had a great opportunity to encourage me to come back for service work but failed miserably at that.

Now, to get out and put some break-in miles on my Orange Toad before I start dressing her up to tow behind our motorhome and explore backcountry trails.
Sponsored

lwebs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
carbucks.ca
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, JLU Safari
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Good info.

Was yours a 2.0 Turbo?

I took delivery of my new Punk'n Metallic Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara yesterday, factor ordered on April 29, 2018.

The following is a summary of the order, build and delivery process. I hope this might help other Canadian JL owners manage their expectations.

Order, Build and Transport Process:
I started by circulating an RFQ (request for quotation) among the regional Jeep dealers near Vancouver, British Columbia and selected the one with the deal that best matched my needs and goals. I ended up at invoice plus about $300 and the lowest doc fees charged in this area. It was a hassle-free experience as I did not have to talk to any car salespeople until I had made my selection and was ready to place a deposit on the order. The order was placed on April 29, 2018, a Sunday, and I had my VIN about 4 days later.

The JLUS was built and received KZ status (released for shipping) on May 29th. Rail transport got it to the local rail yard on June 14 where it sat until it was finally delivered to my dealer on July 18. As I was out of town I was unable to take delivery until Aug 2.

Dealer Delivery:
My JLUS was ordered through Maple Ridge Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, who "claims" to be the highest volume dealer in Canada. I emailed weeks earlier and confirmed one week ahead that I would be there to take delivery at 10:30 AM, Aug 2.

Upon arrival at the dealership, the Jeep was not ready for delivery. After about 30 minutes it was brought out front partially washed. It was my impression that it was badly soiled and the salesman dared not bring it out in that condition but was unable to get it properly washed. In any case, it was not ready for delivery at the scheduled time.

The salesperson appeared somewhat surprised that I stated a need to do an inspection prior to handing over the cheque and completing the paperwork. That inspection turned up the following, things I was looking for with the knowledge gained from this forum and a model/option specific checklist:

- Fuse Panel: Nine fuses and/or relays were found to not be completely seated. The salesperson commented that fuses were like an extension cord, as long as it was partially in it would work fine. Needless to say, our opinions did not jive.

- Window Sticker: There was no window sticker and the salesperson stated they just threw them out. I did note that none of their cars on the lot had them displayed. I was a little ticked but fortunately, I had previously gotten a copy of my window sticker online.

- Fuel Level: The fuel level was in the red zone just above empty. This, of course, limited the length of our test drive without an additional hassle and delay getting them to put some more fuel in. It was filled up, without objection, prior to us taking delivery.

- Tire Pressure: No more than two of the five tires was set to the same pressure and all were above the door sticker's recommended 36 psi. As all the tires had to be softened, it was a fast and easy fix after we got the Jeep home but it should have been done during the PDI.

- Aux Switch Package: A package of connectors and shrink tubing is included with the optional auxiliary switches in the cold weather group. The baggy was no were to be found and the salesperson came up with a number of BS stories to justify that no such package exists. He even went into a discussion with the parts manager and came back with a story that that part was discontinued as everything required was now pre-installed. Only after I told him that I had had enough made-up stories did he finally introduce me to the parts manager. He did not believe me either, stating that none of there Wrangler came with this. I finally took him onto the JL Wrangler Forum and found some posts on the subject. We were able to find an image with a readable part number. He did not have that part in stock but it is supposed to be available for me to pick up this afternoon. I know the baggy is of no material consequence but I just hate being lied too.

The delivery process was an ordeal with lots of wasted time just standing or sitting around for no apparent reason. We did not drive off the dealer's lot until more than 2 1/2 hours later. The dealer had a great opportunity to encourage me to come back for service work but failed miserably at that.

Now, to get out and put some break-in miles on my Orange Toad before I start dressing her up to tow behind our motorhome and explore backcountry trails.

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
My JLUS was ordered through Maple Ridge Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, who "claims" to be the highest volume dealer in Canada.
My dealer told me the same thing.
Columbia Chrysler Dodge Jeep Fiat in Richmond BC.
I guess someone's lying here :facepalm:.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on taking delivery, despite the ordeal doing so. I ordered a month ago and still have no VIN.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealer told me the same thing.
Columbia Chrysler Dodge Jeep Fiat in Richmond BC.
I guess someone's lying here :facepalm:.
Like the old joke goes:
How can you tell when a car salesman is lying?
When his lips are moving.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Congrats on taking delivery, despite the ordeal doing so. I ordered a month ago and still have no VIN.
It took me two months to get a VIN. Canadian ordering experiences certainly don’t seem to match our American friends.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you want to track your order's progress, consider using the tracking service available through Jeep Garage. A paid Lever III ($25) or higher membership is required. Level IV ($30) and up receive PDF vehicle build sheet after the vehicle is built

To have your order tracked go to the Jeep Garage forum (https://jeepgarage.org) and send a PM to Milous or Scotty or post your request in the following message thread: https://jeepgarage.org/f102/custome...ep-dodge-chrysler-and-ram-vehicles-96545.html

The following information must accompany your vehicle tracking request:

[1] Your VON, VIN or E number.
The VON is the Vehicle Order Number, that is assigned when an order is placed with your dealer, the same day or shortly thereafter). The VIN is assigned, a few days or more after the after the VON has been processed. In Australia, an "E" number is provided. These can be provided by your dealer.

[2] Your vehicle type (ie: Jeep Wrangler JL)

[3] Vehicle color

[4] Date your order placed with dealer

Order tracking updates are posted on: https://jeepgarage.org/f102/custome...ge-chrysler-fiat-and-ram-vehicles-143338.html

I use the webpage's search function to find my forum username to easily access my tracking info. Vehicle tracking info is updated multiple times per day, 7-days a week.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It took me two months to get a VIN. Canadian ordering experiences certainly don’t seem to match our American friends.
Receiving your VIN should be the same on either side of the border but, yes, there are many services and values unavailable to Canadians.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I walked into a Montreal dealership in March with the Canada Order Guide in hand, told the salesman all of the order codes I was looking for and then negotiated on price at cost plus $1,000. By US standards, that comes out to 10.2% below "invoice" as they put it. Still an expensive vehicle, but it is what it is.

The 2.0L Turbo turned out to not be available on the Rubicon Unlimited, so I took the 3.6L and took delivery on June 20th. 7 weeks in, 3700 km, no issues. My salesman and the others at the dealership were impressed with my knowledge of the product. They took note of the PDI details like fuses and tire pressure that have been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed. They have called a couple of times to get experience info from me to help other buyers, but this forum has better information -- so long as you know how to get the right info under all the trolling.

I love my Rubicon! Her name is Jill.

[Edit] Yes, my salesman kept the window sticker. I also had him pre-order the roof rack, cargo bin, winch guard, etc. and add it to the financing. Also helps for insurance when those things show up on the order.

Sponsored

Vipersnake

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLRU
Receiving your VIN should be the same on either side of the border but, yes, there are many services and values unavailable to Canadians.
It should be that way but pretty much all the Canadian orders havent been getting VINs, some two months in, including me. Most of the US ones get theirs within a couple days.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I agree, it SHOULD be the same. And I recognize that anything can happen with a single order, but delays in receiving VIN numbers do seem to be more frequent with Canadians.

Compounding the frustration is the inability to access any information about why the delay exists - no Jeep Chat/Jeep Cares etcs.

JeepGarage has been great. That site is the only way to see info the process if you’re Canadian.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to track your order's progress, consider using the tracking service available through Jeep Garage. A paid Lever III ($25) or higher membership is required. Level IV ($30) and up receive PDF vehicle build sheet after the vehicle is built

To have your order tracked go to the Jeep Garage forum (https://jeepgarage.org) and send a PM to Milous or Scotty or post your request in the following message thread: https://jeepgarage.org/f102/custome...ep-dodge-chrysler-and-ram-vehicles-96545.html

The following information must accompany your vehicle tracking request:

[1] Your VON, VIN or E number.
The VON is the Vehicle Order Number, that is assigned when an order is placed with your dealer, the same day or shortly thereafter). The VIN is assigned, a few days or more after the after the VON has been processed. In Australia, an "E" number is provided. These can be provided by your dealer.

[2] Your vehicle type (ie: Jeep Wrangler JL)

[3] Vehicle color

[4] Date your order placed with dealer

Order tracking updates are posted on: https://jeepgarage.org/f102/custome...ge-chrysler-fiat-and-ram-vehicles-143338.html

I use the webpage's search function to find my forum username to easily access my tracking info. Vehicle tracking info is updated multiple times per day, 7-days a week.
I appreciate that Ron, but already done. That's where part of the frustration lies. Paid for a service that hasn't given me a single notification. Not knocking the service, just anxious that something's not right on the dealer side and my order hasn't actually been placed. Hoping it's just a typical Canadian delay. ;)

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I appreciate that Ron, but already done. That's where part of the frustration lies. Paid for a service that hasn't given me a single notification. Not knocking the service, just anxious that something's not right on the dealer side and my order hasn't actually been placed. Hoping it's just a typical Canadian delay. ;)
Do you have a VON (Vehicle Order Number)?

The VON is available as soon as the order is placed with Jeep so if there is no VON, there has not been an order placed. If there is a VON the order is in the system so it should be good to go, eventually.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a VON (Vehicle Order Number)?

The VON is available as soon as the order is placed with Jeep so if there is no VON, there has not been an order placed. If there is a VON the order is in the system so it should be good to go, eventually.
Indeed, I have a VON. Guess I'm getting impatient is all.
Sponsored