Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Yeah about the only thing these two have in common is the engine. Again not sure why people compare a TRX or a Raptor to a Wrangler. Do you all grab oranges to make apple juice as well šŸ˜‚
Well, now that the Wrangler has graduated into the $70K plus price point it makes sense to cross shop with TRX especially when most Wranglers aren't used for hard core off-roading and mostly overland, baja, mall crawling, or just plain having fun with the top off. I doubt even most TRXs will even see dirt.

This has been debated before in countless other threads and forums...never ends well.
Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37ā€ KO2s
Who knows. Several options not available at first, including various tops and interiors. Sounds like Ford is having serious supply issues.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, now that the Wrangler has graduated into the $70K plus price point it makes sense to cross shop with TRX especially when most Wranglers aren't used for hard core off-roading and mostly overland, baja, mall crawling, or just plain having fun with the top off. I doubt even most TRXs will even see dirt.

This has been debated before in countless other threads and forums...never ends well.
Just like most sports cars never see anything past freeway speeds and most guns are rarely shot. You buy for what's possible, or for the image of what's possible. Not really anyone else's business

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
OK, I somewhat retract my previous statement of this being insanely priced. Jeep is not doing a very good job of publicizing this new Wrangler. After some research and googling, it seems there is quite a bit more to it than just a Semi.

It'll be interesting to see where pricing lands on this and how it will compare to the Ram TRX which I'm considering as well. With the Ram my concern is there will be a model refresh of the Ram trucks here soon just as the Raptor is being refreshed this year.

Plus I already have a Rubicon, but is currently being borrowed by my daughter who is away at school...don't ask...long story. She's loves Jeeps and it's Firecracker red, so by "loaning" it to her it gave me leverage for the TRX.
Sounds like you'll have a supercharged V8 Raptor to throw into the mix soon too. Ford is supposed to announce the new one on the 3rd from what I'm seeing. Sounds like it'll be a great year for high performance offroad vehicles!

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
I joined this forum to learn more about the 392 and this thread has been useful in that regard, thanks you for that. I am going to order a 392 and hopefully not pay more than MSRP. At my age I get one more toy and I want it to be a good one. I want the V8 for the sound and acceleration... would prefer a stick but they are somewhat impractical.. I can't get in and out of those low riding cars like Vets although they are very cool. I have had 2 Chevy SSRs and they are a blast... convertible, V8, 6 speeds.. but not very useful except to run to the store VERY quickly... I have thought about buying a used '18 or '19 and having the V8 Conversion but you have to pay about $45k for the used Jeep and a conversion will be another 25-30k so there you are at 75k+ and you won't have the factory to back you up... You have to spend way over 100k+ to get a V8 in a F150/Raptor and its big, bulky and it is not a convertible. A 392 Jeep buys you freedom to go off road, enough real space for your buddies, Open air, paddle shifters, a V8 that doesn't sound like damn sewing machine, exhilarating acceleration and endless opportunities to mess around with it and upgrade things. Look around, there are not a lot of other options for a V8 powered machine that has the capabilities of a Jeep for less money... They will sell as many as they can make.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Going the Tesla route. Sell first, figure out how the heck to deliver what was promised later...
I almost fell for that. Got my deposit back when they kept delaying. So happy that happened.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If youā€™re not off-roading and spending this much money, it would be hard to ignore grabbing the TRX or Raptor. I canā€™t see the value in any option on a wrangler for $70k plus. It canā€™t tow anything, itā€™s still not that fast, and itā€™s not luxurious at all. At least you get the ladder with the TRX and Raptor.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Fair enough and I guess to each his own. I just donā€™t get comparing a truck to an SUV. Even if you are comparing the 392 to something and as you say donā€™t use the Wrangler for serious off road then I would think a logical comparison would be a Trackhawk, BMW X5 and the likes of those SUVs. If you do use the Wrangler as intended then you still wouldnā€™t compare it to two heavy trucks but instead some other capable off road vehicle like the new Bronco or maybe an FJ Cruiser. Oh well like I said maybe I am just the only one that doesnā€™t get it. So many comparisons of a Wrangler to a truck but thatā€™s just me. Carry on.

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
OMG. If there were just one model of compact, sedan, SUV, and truck on the market weā€™d be called the Soviet Union. Something for everyone, no? I traded my 2017 Raptor for my 2019 Rubicon because the Jeep is just more fun to drive - both on & off-road - in my opinion. To me, a 392 will be even MORE fun to drive! Thatā€™s why Iā€™m getting one. I donā€™t want a TRX, Raptor, or anything else - thatā€™s why Iā€™m on this forum - because my preference is a Jeep over the others. If you think a Raptor is ā€˜mo betta - thereā€™s probably a forum out there just for you. Jeez...

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
OMG. If there were just one model of compact, sedan, SUV, and truck on the market weā€™d be called the Soviet Union. Something for everyone, no? I traded my 2017 Raptor for my 2019 Rubicon because the Jeep is just more fun to drive - both on & off-road - in my opinion. To me, a 392 will be even MORE fun to drive! Thatā€™s why Iā€™m getting one. I donā€™t want a TRX, Raptor, or anything else - thatā€™s why Iā€™m on this forum - because my preference is a Jeep over the others. If you think a Raptor is ā€˜mo betta - thereā€™s probably a forum out there just for you. Jeez...

DellCook, Is that the Airstream trailer in your pic ? How do you like it?

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Not sure if this was directed toward me, but I guess I look at some tiny amount of overall offering with a wrangler vs other fun vehicles in this price range.

I have a JLU and like it, but I would never pay that much for any Wrangler considering itā€™s not that comfy, luxury of the interior is null, it drives like a tank vs a floater, and there are literally so many other vehicles that are morepractical for situations in life.

Since you had a Raptor you know you had a bed to haul stuff, a big back seat (if you had a super crew) to stuff dogs, kids, car seats, and I wouldnā€™t imagine you would rather take a long road trip in the wrangler vs the Raptor.

Now that the Raptor will see the 5.2L Supercharged Shelby engine, I can only imagine the fun factor will be turned up. The TRX already has been received extremely well overall as a great option. So if these three are playing in the same space in terms of price, I feel you get a lot more for the money in the Raptor and TRX.

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
DellCook, Is that the Airstream trailer in your pic ? How do you like it?
It is! It's the BasecampX - it's pretty sweet. The Jeep pulls it without issue. It's not necessarily an "off-road trailer", but it does have more ground clearance and a better approach/departure angle than many trailers (we've had a few). It's a great option for a weekend in the woods!

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Not sure if this was directed toward me, but I guess I look at some tiny amount of overall offering with a wrangler vs other fun vehicles in this price range.

I have a JLU and like it, but I would never pay that much for any Wrangler considering itā€™s not that comfy, luxury of the interior is null, it drives like a tank vs a floater, and there are literally so many other vehicles that are morepractical for situations in life.

Since you had a Raptor you know you had a bed to haul stuff, a big back seat (if you had a super crew) to stuff dogs, kids, car seats, and I wouldnā€™t imagine you would rather take a long road trip in the wrangler vs the Raptor.

Now that the Raptor will see the 5.2L Supercharged Shelby engine, I can only imagine the fun factor will be turned up. The TRX already has been received extremely well overall as a great option. So if these three are playing in the same space in terms of price, I feel you get a lot more for the money in the Raptor and TRX.
Not really directed at anyone, but rather the general theme of hating on the 392 due to its price. Yep, my Raptor had the crew cab with tons of room and you know what? My wife & I (and our 2 dogs) prefer road trips in the Jeep... I don't miss the Raptor at all. We road trip from FL to western VA quite a bit to hit trails & camp - and the Jeep makes the trip plenty of fun. As in beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder - as most who are anxiously awaiting their 392 would probably echo.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
If I didn't have the Rubicon, although on loan at the moment with the daughter, I would lean more to the 392. I've overcome the sticker shock now knowing it's not just an engine swap and there's more to it. Overall, I still think the Wrangler's in general are a but overpriced, but isn't everything now days.

One of my first vehicles was a Ford Ranger 4x4, 1992 to be exact. Was the first vehicle for my wife and as well when we got married. And I haven't had. track since then, so looking forward to checking out the TRX when I can. Now do I need everything a TRX has to offer...nope, just like I don't need everything my Rubicon has to offer, but both do offer the best of what I'm looking for and will be using it for.

By the way, already got the SUV thing covered with another vehicle, so not necessarily looking at the 392 for it's SUV traits.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I had a raptor. I donā€™t miss it at all. The interior is straight plastic. I hated it. I donā€™t enjoy the ecoboost. The TRX is at least nice on the inside and very powerful but itā€™s not a jeep.

I want a jeep. I really really want a jeep with a 392. I told my wife 6 years ago that if they ever offer a wrangler with a v8, we were getting it. No questions asked. Here we are. Iā€™m not shopping around with my $70k. I donā€™t care what else costs $70k. Iā€™d already have it if I did.
Sponsored