Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
You're very welcome! And you mentioned a great point that I didn't even think about, with the potential for modifications. I doubt you will find any other vehicle out there with the sheer breadth and availability of great aftermarket options and upgrades that you will find with a Jeep. That's definitely one more thing to consider.
Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
Here is my thoughts on TRX, Hummer, Raptor, 392 comparison.

392 will be able to squeeze through with out a scratch, the other 3 will be turning around and watching. i will be at this exact location in 3 months or less with a brand new 392 squeezing throug.

BD14C302-2FC7-4F8C-ACE3-EA16A18A9405.jpeg
Love it. Let’s hope Jeep comes through on the time line. I have plans to be in Moab last weekend of April with the 392.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Thanks guys... appreciate the POVs, helpful..

I just got word from one local dealer that the ADM on a TRX is $25k !!!! That would put it at nearly $120k... are they F... Nuts??? No one is going to pay that kind of premium.. *and they want $45K over MSRP for the launch edition.. what a joke.. Even at MSRP it would have been a stretch for me...

I think I am ruling out the Hummer... Batteries are going to keep getting cheaper and so will the Hummer, just look at what happened to the early Leafs... (great car BTW) but they depreciated like crazy and I think the Hummer will too..

On the other hands they are not going to be making big block V8s for long so if anything will hold its value well, a Jeep with a V8 will (and the other V8s too)

I agree the Raptor and TRX are big and might not even fit in the garage (unless I kick the wife's car out.. hum, probably not a good idea)...too bad there isn't a Ranger size with a big V8... that would be a cool offering... I also think one might hesitate even taking a TRX or Raptor into harms way... just seems like they would be more delicate and harder to repair...

Finally while the Jeep isn't going to be a nice ride like my old SSR or an SUV for that matter, I don't think that is going to bother me...and there is so much you can do to modify one also you can really open it up... I remember driving a friends back on the farm 40 yrs ago, he didn't have doors, windows or roof... it was such a blast...

So I a still leaninmg towards a 392... thou was tempted by the TRX until I got that pricing...wish they would just release the Jeep MSRP... what the hell are they waiting for... maybe for the Raptor V8??

Thanks again for the input.. Cheers
Oh just reach out for the guy a few pages back. He has been offered several all at MSRP. Super easy to get. 🙄

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Totally agree. I think it will get better and better as the DECADES go on. They however as the post said ELIMINATE ice cars on public’s roads will NEVER happen. Just think about how long it will take to get RVs to electric, all the semis etc. Plus you really think that all the million dollars super cars and hyper cars are literally going to become not allowed to drive on public roads, come on people. Ice will NEVER go away. There will always be a gas pump around. Now cost of that gas, who knows.

I do totally agree that if you want high HP, low MPG cars, trucks and Jeep’s you better get them soon. The one thing they can do as we have seen regulate and make it so expensive in fees, taxes etc that the manufacturers don’t feel it worth it to continue to make those.

Last thing as mentioned above and I totally agree until they can take All range anxiety away by having enough charging stations and be able to charge in the same time as filling up electric will never overtake ice as numbers on the road. That alone will take decades because these manufacturers are stupid. They all want their own charging system instead of working on one system. EV would advance much faster if they would have all figured out how to and build on the Tesla system that has taken so many years to build.
not disputing anything your saying. I am saying that the impetuous wont come from government (I pray) but more from the development of batteries. People need to want them because they are better then ICE. My only point.

As far as one system, I think we need to see a this point what develops and shakes out to be better then go one system. Might be too early.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Custom tuned suspension dedicated to the truck build

Reinforced frame for off road flex

Redesigned front fenders that allow additional travel for the suspension design

Standard off road needs such as locking rear diff and multi mode terrain goodies.

These trucks are completely redesigned from a standard 1500 or F150. All Jeep did was add a moose lift and stiffen the front frame for the additional engine weight.
392 has a reinforced frame. Axles too, but still 44s which I'm not thrilled with/

Front fenders dont need any more clearance, already pretty amazing.

You saying the 392 doesnt have lockers ? Cant imagine they dont?? Multi mode terrain goodies? Dont think we know for sure but personally I think they are lame for REAL wheelers. lol Probably REALLY needed for the big boats.

Last edited:

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Narrowing down my "Toy" options.. went out and priced these as best I could, Ford hasn't announced pricing on the V8 Raptor but assuming it will run at least $15K more than the 6cyl. While these vehicles are not strictly comparable as others have pointed out they would all meet my goal of being fun to drive, have robust off road capabilities, could handle a lot of snow, and except for the Hummer have a V8 power plant with all that brings to the table... with all tricked outed they come in about here I think...

RAM TRX $91k (this is a bad ass truck I have to admit)
Raptor V8 $71k +15k for the V8 = $86k (at least) (and no open air capability)
Jeep 392, my guess all tricked out with One-Touch Sky, $80k
GM Hummer with 350mi range (the crab walk is very cool) $100k

So the Jeep is definitely going to be a relatively good value in this high end group... Still my #1 pick although that RAM TRX is a close #2, then the Hummer (if I can spend that much.. ouch) Thoughts?
I agree, they will all be fun, but different kind of fun. The big pickups are just huge boats on trails and wont be much fun at all. They really have no business on them. But they will be a blast on the road and FAST fire roads. THAT will be the deal with them.

THe 392 will be a hoot as well on them AND be able to have FUN on trails and no BIG boat feeling.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I know this is a Jeep forum but honestly if you just want fun factor and have no desire to do hard core wheelin the Jeep is a distant last place. They drive like shit for every day road manners, tech is miles behind Ram, creature comforts not even close, refinement not even close. Can’t even compare them to the others. My money and describing what you want it for;1. TRX, 2 would be Hummer if you can actually get one but since it will be tough then it would be the Raptor. I wouldn’t even consider the 392 in your scenario. I’d buy something else 3, 4, 5....... Maybe the 392 would be 10th on the list.
My jeep is lifted, 37's 4.88s, dinky 3.6 and it drives pretty amazing on the road and CRAZY good offroad. Fast trails, and slow trails a blast.

But yeah, boring forest roads will be made fun as hell for sure in the big boats. The beauty of the 392 is it's not one dimensional. It can do both and KILL it with REAL trail capability.

I'm betting the 392 will hold it's own or possibly more fun on the boring FS roads. I know my jeep is a blast going fast, cant imagine a 392.

THinking if you need payload or towing the big boats are the way to go.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
This is why dealers are hilarious.

They pull the ADM game, then act like your buddy and they are “one of the good dealers” when you go to buy something not subject to ADM.

Greed is prevalent throughout business and the world but it’s rarely as obvious as when there is a hot vehicle that dealers are charging ADM for.

At least take a moment to remember those who paid $20K ADM to buy a PT Cruiser when they came out and were hot, only to have dealers begging customers to take them off their hands a few years later.

Imagine how many 392s dealers will be stuck with if gas spikes to $5 or $6/gallon (because remember, it drinks premium.)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Here's my thoughts...

So, looking at your favorites:

As someone else already mentioned, the biggest drawback to the Hummer in my opinion is going to be availability (and possibly cost, depending on how much you're comfortable spending). It's likely going to be quite a wait to get one, and you may find yourself pretty bored in the meantime. And if that happens, you may end up choosing something more readily available anyway. But outside of availability, charging time, and access to charging locations might be a bit of an issue as well, depending on where or how far you're thinking about taking it to go off-roading, or on any kind of road trips. On the plus side, the crab walk feature is pretty cool, the "unique" factor will be very high, at least for a while, and the reported power and acceleration sound absolutely insane for anything that big!

The TRX and the (upcoming) Shelby V8 powered Raptor seem pretty interchangeable to me. Similar platform/design, similar size, and capabilities, and eventually similar power. They are trucks of course, so they will have more ability to tow, and to haul things in their beds, so they could be seen as more "practical", but only if you really need that from your choice. And as some have mentioned, they will likely both have better on-road manners than the Jeep, since they are more aimed towards high speed off-roading. But the Major trade off in my opinion, is the size. (Especially if you don't need that "added" practicality.) While great at the high-speed stuff, they won't be nearly as easy to go in, out, and over, tight, tricky spaces and obstacles off-road. And that will hold true for some on-road situations as well. Tight parking spaces in small parking lots won't be a lot of fun to deal with everyday in something that wide and that long. (Assuming you're going to drive it frequently, of course.)

Which leads to the Jeep. The two biggest advantages in my opinion to the Jeep verses the trucks, is going to be:

A. The increased off-road capability that you will get with a narrower, shorter, and more maneuverable vehicle. Just like the two trucks, the 392 will also be fast, and will also have front & rear lockers, but combined with the smaller size, better maneuverability & great articulation, there is simply going to be more places that the Jeep is designed to go, that the larger TRX and Raptor are not.

And then of course, there's B. The obvious feature that comes with any Wrangler, the open-air ability to shed the top, and doors. (or even the roof with just a push of a button if you select the sky roof option).

For me personally, I enjoy exploring remote, hard to access places off road, just as much as I enjoy the fast, mud-slinging type stuff, and I believe the 392 is the better option to do both well. The ability to remove the top is just icing on the cake for me.

Also, for what it's worth, don't get too caught up in the "crazy price" talk either.

For one, the "30k price increase just for an engine" is not accurate. Even if you ignore the frame upgrades, cooling, and other improvements they did just to accommodate the new V8, when you look at everything else that comes standard with the 392 Rubicon, it's closer to a well-optioned regular 21' Rubicon that would be near 60k all on its own. (As an aside, the argument that you can't get a base Rubicon 392 with the just the new engine is a valid complaint, however the only one that IS currently available is not comparable to a "base" Rubicon with no options, so I'm keeping this an "apples to apples" comparison). Basically, that means that the new motor only adds around 10k in price, assuming it comes in around the 70k that many are suggesting. Which is entirely justifiable in my book, especially when you consider the aftermarket price it costs to convert a standard Ruby to a V8. (Which may not even include the necessary frame, suspension, drivetrain & and cooling improvements, OR a full warranty for that matter.)

And finally, for two: It's the obvious, often stated, but more often ignored reminder, that at the end of the day, it is your money after all, and your decision. People don't get to tell you what YOU should prefer to spend your own money on.

Just look at each of the different vehicles you are considering, decide which key differences matter the most to YOU, then pick whichever choice your heart desires. It's that simple. :)

Good luck with your "search", and keep us posted on what you ultimately choose!
-Rob
well said!!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

They pull the ADM game, then act like your buddy and they are “one of the good dealers” when you go to buy something not subject to ADM.

Greed is prevalent throughout business and the world but it’s rarely as obvious as when there is a hot vehicle that dealers are charging ADM for.

At least take a moment to remember those who paid $20K ADM to buy a PT Cruiser when they came out and were hot, only to have dealers begging customers to take them off their hands a few years later.

Imagine how many 392s dealers will be stuck with if gas spikes to $5 or $6/gallon (because remember, it drinks premium.)
You don't even have to go back to PT Cruiser. Just go back to the Trackhawk. There were dealers sitting on 1-2 year old brand new Trackhawks with their ADMS's thinking people were going to pay it. Heck I think as of last month there was a 19 TH still for sale brand new at a dealer on autotrader.com. Exact same will happen to the 392 after the first few month frenzy "people with more money than sense" buying spree is over.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

I have no problem with dealers marking up pricing on HOT vehicles. They do it because people will pay it. Both parties are in agreement, so where is the problem?

I wont pay the prices they want, but for some who have lots of money it doesnt matter to them. THis is Merica! ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
You don't even have to go back to PT Cruiser. Just go back to the Trackhawk. There were dealers sitting on 1-2 year old brand new Trackhawks with their ADMS's thinking people were going to pay it. Heck I think as of last month there was a 19 TH still for sale brand new at a dealer on autotrader.com. Exact same will happen to the 392 after the first few month frenzy "people with more money than sense" buying spree is over.
More money then sense or sense enough to have enough money?

There are people with so much money out there that quibbling over these amounts is silly to them.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More money then sense or sense enough to have enough money?

There are people with so much money out there that quibbling over these amounts is silly to them.
I guess if you say so. Just because you have millions it still make zero sense to buy it to be the first and after a month you not only burned the ADM but also the depreciation.

Just because you have the money, it makes sense to literally put $20k in the fire? I have plenty of sense to have made the money and could buy one, I have more sense to know that the ADM is stupid and waiting 6 months to save and put another $20k in the bank makes more sense. Too each his own I guess and don’t really care what people do with their money.

point was the first wave of spenders will be over in a few months after release and you will get these at MSRP or below so why buy with ADM.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
A while back I went to order a TRX only to find out the only solid color option was Model-T black...An all black truck is not for me-especially here in 'Hell's Acres' (AKA Arizona).

Then was hopeful Jeep would offer the 392 in a 2-Door...Higher ups at FCA told the GM that was a hard not-going-to-happen...That made my decision to do even more 'upgrades' to my 20' Rubi 2-door easier: I have decided to re-gear (4.56's if keep 35's, 4.88's if go with 37's) along with chromoly axle shafts and HD ball joints...Then I might be done :) Really love the 2-door JL's for exploring Arizona's back country and they just look so damm cool !

A couple of days ago the GM at my local dealer called and told me he could now order other solid colors on the TRX beside black (still showing only black as solid color option on RAM's build & price). So, now very interested but with Ford's Raptor announcement coming in little over a week I will wait to see if they again offer the SuperCab...I have had three Raptors (all SCAB's) and really liked them-not a fan of Raptor SCREW's at all and would much rather have a TRX over a Raptor SCREW...I still occasionally need a pickup for work (both to transport clients and sometimes make a delivery to a client) and while I really love my 19' RAM Longhorn...the thought of a 700+HP SuperTruck is something I cannot seem to shake!!

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
I guess if you say so. Just because you have millions it still make zero sense to buy it to be the first and after a month you not only burned the ADM but also the depreciation.

Just because you have the money, it makes sense to literally put $20k in the fire? I have plenty of sense to have made the money and could buy one, I have more sense to know that the ADM is stupid and waiting 6 months to save and put another $20k in the bank makes more sense. Too each his own I guess and don’t really care what people do with their money.

point was the first wave of spenders will be over in a few months after release and you will get these at MSRP or below so why buy with ADM.
Why do you assume all of us first wave of buyers are paying over MSRP, the majority of us who ordered when the banks opened are paying MSRP.

Most of us buyers with no sense and more money with what to do with have signed preorder contracts to buy at MSRP or less. When I ordered the 1st day the banks were oped I got 1% off MSRP using affiliate discount program which the dealership will recoup back from Jeep. My dealership had 3 initial allocations mine and 2 for the showroom floor. They told me they will be adding a ADM on those 2 which I’m sure they will get more power to them.

All new cars depreciate after purchase, but Jeeps have some of the lowest depreciation rates, which will apply with 392 also.

The administration of President-elect Biden intends to set new fuel efficiency standards which could result on a gas guzzler tax on the 392 in future model years. I’m surprised there’s not one on it now I paid that tax on my Hellcat and I don’t see the 392 getting better MPG. Just another reason Jeep is pushing/advertising the 4xe so hard. The CAFE standards will keep the 392 a low production high price vehicl.e. Future model years will only increase in price. The time to buy is now if you can secure a deal at MSRP.

There is speculation all over the place in regards to price hopefully we will know this week. Whatever it is I’m good with knowing I’m driving a 392 3 months from now or less when we were only dreaming about it a year ago.
Sponsored