My 392 is hot. Literally.

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
I'm not sure this is a problem but just wanting to check with other 392 owners. I drove back from Atlanta this evening (2 hour drive). Easy drive. Ended with a drive up our mountain. Got home and touched the passenger side floor board and that thing was hot! I have rubber Weather Tech mats so I thought maybe the rubber acted as a conductor and made it feel hotter than it really was. But I could barely hold my hand on the mat. No warning lights or anything on the way home.
Anyone else notice this with their 392? Is this normal or is there a problem about to manifest? We're hoping to take this on a 7 hour ride to Florida next month and I'd hate to be stranded somewhere on the way down. Especially somewhere in Alabama :LOL: (I'm just kidding- I lived there for 10 years).

EDIT: No further issues. No heat noted on passenger floor again. I think it was a combination of a thick rubber mat, a hot day and an insulated soft sided cooler.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
Probably the cat converter. I've got Vipers, and they cause 3rd degree burns when you accidentally hit them when exiting the car. They also are known to discolor the car's paint. Usually, when a really bad catalytic converter problem is happening, it's because of a fuel injector issue - and you might not see that code for two or three driving cycles.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
If it’s of any help I could add that my 3.6 does the same thing.

BLU392

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392xr
I just got my 392 yesterday and yes that motor puts out some serious heat. I won't be putting anything but a winch in front of that grill. Every jeep I have every owned has been fairly warm on the floor boards. I think it’s normal for this drivetrain.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
Is their a factory heat shield above the catalytic converter on the passenger side?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of fuel + lots of air = high combustion and exhaust gas temperatures.

I‘d say it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Funny different experiences. My 3.6 was a hellfire inferno. #1 reason I don’t have it anymore. My 392 is well within reasonable temps. Never see the scary temps. Never saw my 3.6 where I didn’t say to myself, how can this be so frickin hot. 240* coolant -20 outside temp…. Made me sick to my stomach.

OP
OP
JeepVet74

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
I just got my 392 yesterday and yes that motor puts out some serious heat. I won't be putting anything but a winch in front of that grill. Every jeep I have every owned has been fairly warm on the floor boards. I think it’s normal for this drivetrain.
Congratulations!