Sponsored

My 3.6 Etorque takes more than 5Q

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Dipstick is not always accurate. In my Ram the required amount goes above the hash marks by a good bit. It is a Hemi though. I would go with what the manual says. 5 is convenient, 6 or more is a pain.
Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Read the dipstick with the engine fully warmed up and then switched OFF for 5 minutes, on perfectly level ground. The 3.6 dipstick can read high or low depending on if you check it while it hot/cold/sitting for some minutes/while running. It's picky. I don't know if the oil pan is different on eTorque models but I highly doubt it - mine is a regular 3.6.

That being said, I find I'm usually adding 1/3 to 1/2 a quart over 5Q when I change my oil.
I read my dipstick the same way on my 2021 3.6 eTorque as I did on my 2018 3.6 and the 3.6 eTorque reads lower on the stick than the 2018 did with 5 qts. That is why I was wondering if the eTorque does take more oil or if the sticks in the newer Jeeps might be wrong.

park_place

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
So I understand the oil should get to the last "A" or so. But what if it's more in the middle between the end notches? Is that risk of engine damage? Other dipsticks have a "min" and "max". Sorry - I haven't been a car guy - until now, my Wrangler (3.6L w Etorque) was just delivered a few days ago. Thank you.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
When I did my first oil change myself, I poured the entire contents from the catch pan back into an empty 5 guart jug (still have it). It all went back in but barely....only leaving a half inch or so of head space below the cap. When new.....that same bottle has graduations that show where 5 quarts should be...and that's an easy 1 1/2" below the cap. I won't guess on how much exactly that additional oil is....but I wouldn't say it's more than a 1/3 to 1/2 of a quart . When I did my refill...I dumped an entire 5 quarts back in and ran the engine and observed the level had just touched the very bottom on the stick.......so I topped it up from a single quart bottle as I always have. It isn't any more difficult than that.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
Check the dipstick tube and make sure if goes all the way into the engine. I have seen a few that weren't seated properly and no matter how the dipstick goes into the tube the level will never read correctly unless extra oil is added.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
not much room for an error- drained, filled from a sealed bottle, analog dipstick. I’ve found that draining overnight yields a more thorough drain than one than goes for a half hour then is dripping when the plug is screwed back in.
Exactly. The 3.6, all of them, are known for continuing to drip/drain for a looooooong time after opening the plug. If you do a typical drain, 5 quarts should get you right where you need to be.

The recommended procedure for checking is 5 minutes after shutdown of a hot engine. But it's like horseshoes and hand grenades. You can run a quart low to a quart high in FCA designed engines. I can't speak for the new Hurricane I6, but I suspect it has the same design requirement to meet all performance tests a quart low or a quart high.

So if you top it off and it goes a little over the fill line, don't worry about it. I'd personally rather it be a little overfilled than underfilled. But both are fine.

Rick4570

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
The dipstick is so finicky with the 3.6.

One side of my dipstick always reads higher than the other side. Which one do you go by?

JLfromCA

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! 2 Door Rubicon/2024 Sarge Green 392
E torque has a generator. Non e torque has an alternator. They both take exactly 5 quarts of oil.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey @mreloc does your engine look like this one?

2020 Pentastar V6 engine difference.png

I saw a video this morning that did not mention "eTorque", but I cannot identify this part vs where the alternator is on the the 2018/2019 Pentastar...

UPDATED
Well, I found my own answer... Yes, this engine has a BSG, so the alternator would be different...

2020 Pentastar 48v BSG.png
Thats an electric vacuum pump. My early 3.6 has it mounted in front of the engine, about centered, and vertical.
Sponsored