My 3.6 Etorque takes more than 5Q

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
I did my first oil change today 960 miles in my 2020 3.6l eTorque. I drained the oil overnight and came back this morning to no dripping from the oil drain. Closed it back up, changed the oil filter, put in a 5Q bottle of Pennz Ultra Platinum 0W-20. Started and ran it for about 5 minutes to check for leaks- all good. Shut down, went back an hour later to check oil level and it only reaches the bottom of the hashmarks :/. I'm tempted to put a pint or so in to get it at least half way up the hashmarks, but I'm scratching my head why this would be!

Double checked the manual in case the eTorque takes more, but no mention of it.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I did my first oil change today 960 miles in my 2020 3.6l eTorque. I drained the oil overnight and came back this morning to no dripping from the oil drain. Closed it back up, changed the oil filter, put in a 5Q bottle of Pennz Ultra Platinum 0W-20. Started and ran it for about 5 minutes to check for leaks- all good. Shut down, went back an hour later to check oil level and it only reaches the bottom of the hashmarks :/. I'm tempted to put a pint or so in to get it at least half way up the hashmarks, but I'm scratching my head why this would be!

My Pentastar (JK non-eTorque) has a capacity of 6 quarts. Don't they all?

p.s. It rarely will take all 6, but it's well north of 5. And...buy a Fumoto - it will change your oil change experience dramatically.

OP
OP
mreloc

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did put the Fumoto on!

the JK takes 6q - the JL takes 5q. It’s been discussed often on here that dealers often are overfilling the JL thinking the capacity is the same.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I hate to be “that guy”...... but....

are you sure that you pushed the dipstick all the way in?

OP
OP
mreloc

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No offense taken :) but, yes all the way in. I drove it a bit and got the oil hot- went up half way in the hatch mark area. I think that's fine, but I'll probably put in a pint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mreloc

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t put any additional in. There’s an error somewhere here.
not much room for an error- drained, filled from a sealed bottle, analog dipstick. I’ve found that draining overnight yields a more thorough drain than one than goes for a half hour then is dripping when the plug is screwed back in.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I would leave it be. The manual says 5qts, and you added 5qts.

The dipstick is very sensitive to oil temp and how long it’s been sitting (ie how much oil is sitting in the filter).

WrnglrJL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
LEO

So I had this same issue and spoke with my trusted Jeep service manager, and he said in reality its about 5.5 quarts of oil required for the JL to be Full, that's what he's been doing in my 3.6 JL since 2018 and I have 23k miles and no issues.

Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
OP
OP
mreloc

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update here- after driving it to work and back (about 15 miles total), checking the level shows top of the hash marks now, whether cold or hot. So, 5 quarts it is for me after all :)

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Hey @mreloc does your engine look like this one?

2020 Pentastar V6 engine difference.png

I saw a video this morning that did not mention "eTorque", but I cannot identify this part vs where the alternator is on the the 2018/2019 Pentastar...

UPDATED
Well, I found my own answer... Yes, this engine has a BSG, so the alternator would be different...

2020 Pentastar 48v BSG.png

Last edited:

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Did you ever findout which it should be? My 2018 3.6L JL took 5 qts, dealer always put in 5 qts, and the dipstick showed filled at 5 qts. I now have a 2021 eTorque. Dealer put in 6 qts, doing an oil change at home I only put in 5 qts and the dipstick reads low. Does the eTorque 3.6L take more oil than the non-eTorque JL 3.6L or have they messed up the dipstick in the newer models?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Read the dipstick with the engine fully warmed up and then switched OFF for 5 minutes, on perfectly level ground. The 3.6 dipstick can read high or low depending on if you check it while it hot/cold/sitting for some minutes/while running. It's picky. I don't know if the oil pan is different on eTorque models but I highly doubt it - mine is a regular 3.6.

That being said, I find I'm usually adding 1/3 to 1/2 a quart over 5Q when I change my oil.
Sponsored