Sponsored

My 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
This thread, and the election results have proven to me, to keep my 2013 and not to worry about a new vehicle. I have given up the idea completely. It will be because it won't be worth a tinkers damn in year, with all the new environmental crap coming down the pike. I also think Jeep, Ford, and GMC will be like Woolworths, and Sears in 2-3 years. GONE. I hope Jeep figures this out for those people who now own one, hopefully they won't go broke before the fix it. Owned RV with OOB mothership, getting anything fixed was impossible, and after 10 years no one would take it in trade, finally got dealer to take it, only when agreed to new one. Once Diesel hits 10 gallon won't be able to afford to drive it, so it will rot in place.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This thread, and the election results have proven to me, to keep my 2013 and not to worry about a new vehicle. I have given up the idea completely. It will be because it won't be worth a tinkers damn in year, with all the new environmental crap coming down the pike. I also think Jeep, Ford, and GMC will be like Woolworths, and Sears in 2-3 years. GONE. I hope Jeep figures this out for those people who now own one, hopefully they won't go broke before the fix it. Owned RV with OOB mothership, getting anything fixed was impossible, and after 10 years no one would take it in trade, finally got dealer to take it, only when agreed to new one. Once Diesel hits 10 gallon won't be able to afford to drive it, so it will rot in place.
Keep your chin up - you're still above ground. In life sometimes you have to adapt to survive. Just ask Woolworths and Sears.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
How does one almost get killed when you aren't even injured in the first place or the Jeep never gets hit?

Also, I have seen a lot of posts lately where someone says how loyal they are as a customer and about how much they spent on a Jeep, only to have this or that issue. If you think Jeep, FCA, Stellantis corporate office guys are reading these forums, you're kidding yourselves.

AKAMAC2

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Hi All, my 2020 rubicon 2.2 diesel suffered a similar fate today. Total shutdown of all electrical components. Every possible warning light came on, no movement in drive, even the wipers came on slowly WTF. And stuck for 2 hours on a busy intersection. checked fuses & relays and most were not seated properly. After reseat still nothing and the Jeep basically electrically dead with the speedo needle jumping every few seconds and random flashes of the hazard lights.
Tow trucked back to Jeep today Saturday and will be looked at Monday. Only done 2100 km so far. Also not long after buying the Jeep I noticed that the battery terminals were never tighten (quite loose) is this bad dealer delivery........

AKAMAC2

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Harvs:

So sorry you're having an electrical issue. I too am having the same problem. I am located in Texas, USA. I have a 2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU (30k). I noticed last Monday as I was pulling out of the parking garage, the entire display went off (it sounded like a pop). The eletrical shut down for a few seconds. I put the gear shift into park and restarted the engine. Luckly it all came back. Drove home about 65 miles and parked the Jeep in the driveway until Wednesday when my daughter and I entered the Jeep. I had the FOB with me and hit the push button and all I heard was a click and the speedometer gauge go up and down and no starting of the engine.

I took my other car and when I came back I tried it again and no luck. This time, the dam jeep was possessed. I pressed the button to Run, but it didn't start. However, all the lights started to flash, RPM and Speedometer gauges were going up and down, and the wipers were going back and forth on their own! Mind you, the switch was OFF! It was really creepy. The headlights and taillights were blinking asw well. I couldn't shut it off. It did settle down, but 15 minutes later, it started all over again on its own.

This happened a few times before I disconnected the negative cable to the battery. I had it towed to the dealership Thursday morning. It's only been there a day so we'll see what they say. I'm guessing a major short because of the poping sound on Monday. This has to be addressed because we don't need our jeeps shutting down all eletrical while we're in the country camping or on a major highway.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would be so grateful. I just have a strange feeling my jeep will be at the dealership for a while.

I did take video. Both videos are attached for download to view.

Regards,

Geo

Attachments

Sponsored

JimSa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
This is very similar to what happened to me. Wipers, dash lights flashing, etc, and run button to turn off did nothing. I had to disconnect both negatives at the battery terminal to shut it off. If you want to try and diagnose yourself there a a couple simple things you can try:

1.) Make sure that every fuse and every relay is fully seated.
2.) Behind your glove box is the CANBUS connectors. You can try:
a,) measure the voltage on each side of them. They voltage should sum to 5v (AFAIK) but one should be higher than the other. If they are the same (i.e. both 2.5v) or not 5v, you likely have a short on that circuit. At least it's something to look into... Refer to JL Wiring diagrams to what may be the cause down that line, and continue trouble shooting, looking for pinched wires, frayed wires, connectors that are filling up with water, etc.

-or-

b.) *DISCLAIMER* I generally recommend against this, as measuring voltage is better and less risky... However, it doesn't require a volt meter. With the electrical CANBUS map in hand, disconnect them one (and only one) at a time, skipping critical startup systems, and then switch to run mode. *IMPORTANT* Don't do this if you don't know what you are disconnecting and whether it is necessary to starting. *NEVER* drive the vehicle with any of these disconnected. This is diagnostic only, to narrow down origin.

If you think you found something in 2a, you can also try 2b with that circuit to help verify, noting if unplugging it changes behavior. Again, never drive with any of these unplugged and be certain of what you unplugged before even attempting to start. Going to Run mode is usually enough.

Best of Luck!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Harvs:

So sorry you're having an electrical issue. I too am having the same problem. I am located in Texas, USA. I have a 2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU (30k). I noticed last Monday as I was pulling out of the parking garage, the entire display went off (it sounded like a pop). The eletrical shut down for a few seconds. I put the gear shift into park and restarted the engine. Luckly it all came back. Drove home about 65 miles and parked the Jeep in the driveway until Wednesday when my daughter and I entered the Jeep. I had the FOB with me and hit the push button and all I heard was a click and the speedometer gauge go up and down and no starting of the engine.

I took my other car and when I came back I tried it again and no luck. This time, the dam jeep was possessed. I pressed the button to Run, but it didn't start. However, all the lights started to flash, RPM and Speedometer gauges were going up and down, and the wipers were going back and forth on their own! Mind you, the switch was OFF! It was really creepy. The headlights and taillights were blinking asw well. I couldn't shut it off. It did settle down, but 15 minutes later, it started all over again on its own.

This happened a few times before I disconnected the negative cable to the battery. I had it towed to the dealership Thursday morning. It's only been there a day so we'll see what they say. I'm guessing a major short because of the poping sound on Monday. This has to be addressed because we don't need our jeeps shutting down all eletrical while we're in the country camping or on a major highway.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would be so grateful. I just have a strange feeling my jeep will be at the dealership for a while.

Regards,

Geo
Are your concerns still present, Geo? Send us a private message with more details if they are and we can assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares

AKAMAC2

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Harvs:

Regards,

Geo

UPDATE!

The dealership had the Jeep through the weekend and notified me on Monday that both batteries were out. They stated it was extremely strange for two of them to go, but it happened. The small one probably went out first. This is used to start the vehicle and is also part of the restarting system when the vehicle shuts off at a light or prolong stop. The big battery is used for all of your other accessories. So when the small starter battery went out, it diverted all starting to the big battery and was drained. Both batteries were replaced at no charge. The dealership got on it and did keep me posted. I picked it up Tuesday and I am only driving it near and around town. No long trips until I feel confident all is fixed. I mean it could happen again and if it does, something must be shorting the system. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will give an update if anything changes. Thank you for all of your responses and suggestions. Much appreciated. Geo

AKAMAC2

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Are your concerns still present, Geo? Send us a private message with more details if they are and we can assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate:

UPDATE!

The dealership had the Jeep through the weekend and notified me on Monday that both batteries were out. They stated it was extremely strange for two of them to go, but it happened. The small one probably went out first. This is used to start the vehicle and is also part of the restarting system when the vehicle shuts off at a light or prolong stop. The big battery is used for all of your other accessories. So when the small starter battery went out, it diverted all starting to the big battery and was drained. Both batteries were replaced at no charge. The dealership got on it and did keep me posted. I picked it up Tuesday and I am only driving it near and around town. No long trips until I feel confident all is fixed. I mean it could happen again and if it does, something must be shorting the system. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will give an update if anything changes. Thank you for leaving a message. I really appreciate it. Feels good to know Jeep Cares is here to assist with any issues. Keep up the good work. Much appreciated. Geo

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Kate:

UPDATE!

The dealership had the Jeep through the weekend and notified me on Monday that both batteries were out. They stated it was extremely strange for two of them to go, but it happened. The small one probably went out first. This is used to start the vehicle and is also part of the restarting system when the vehicle shuts off at a light or prolong stop. The big battery is used for all of your other accessories. So when the small starter battery went out, it diverted all starting to the big battery and was drained. Both batteries were replaced at no charge. The dealership got on it and did keep me posted. I picked it up Tuesday and I am only driving it near and around town. No long trips until I feel confident all is fixed. I mean it could happen again and if it does, something must be shorting the system. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will give an update if anything changes. Thank you for leaving a message. I really appreciate it. Feels good to know Jeep Cares is here to assist with any issues. Keep up the good work. Much appreciated. Geo
It is not “unusual” to have both batteries die. According to my dealership it happens rather often and they have to replace one or both. Your dealership went for the “low hanging easy fruit” to say it is fixed. You are smart to give it time and let it proven its reliability before trusting it on a long haul.

Sponsored

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Chances are the batteries didn't both fail because of manufacturing defects in the batteries. My guess is something is draining them, repeatedly, until they fail. So I would be cautious.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kate:

UPDATE!

Thank you for sending us this update, AKAMAC2! Although we hope no concerns arise for you, if they do, we are here in private message to assist however we can. Have a great rest of the week!

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE 04/2021
I report that neither my dealership nor FCA could solve the issues with my Jeep and it has been bought back. Now I am in the market for a new replacement that has comparably equipment. Sadly the 3.6 auto without eTorque is no longer available and there in NO WAY in HELL I will buy one with eTorque so its an auto 2.0 turbo or nothing. I must say after all the BS I have gone through if the Broncs were available I would NOT be getting another JLU/R.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
UPDATE 04/2021
I report that neither my dealership nor FCA could solve the issues with my Jeep and it has been bought back. Now I am in the market for a new replacement that has comparably equipment. Sadly the 3.6 auto without eTorque is no longer available and there in NO WAY in HELL I will buy one with eTorque so its an auto 2.0 turbo or nothing. I must say after all the BS I have gone through if the Broncs were available I would NOT be getting another JLU/R.
After what you experienced you are staying with a Wrangler?? If I had your experience you couldn’t pay me to buy another Wrangler. Considering what you stated in several of your posts I’m truly surprised....best of luck. I’m glad you were successful in your buyback...

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After what you experienced you are staying with a Wrangler?? If I had your experience you couldn’t pay me to buy another Wrangler. Considering what you stated in several of your posts I’m truly surprised....best of luck. I’m glad you were successful in your buyback...
I would not be buying another JLU(R) except that I have been told by a number of good sources there is no chance to get a Bronco at close to MSRP for at least 18-24 months. Unfortunately I need a real 4x4 for my adventure hobbies now not two years from now.
Sponsored

Last edited: