Sponsored

My 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Checked out your Instagram page...”Houston - we have a problem”. WTF!!!! Good idea towing to another dealer.... You are shorted out somewhere....big time. I see a buy back in your future with that video...
Oh there is more then just that one video I shot today. If the second dealership can’t figure it out then yes I will have no choice but to move forward with making “lemon juice”.

Again for those reading this I posted a short 1 minute video of the more then 12 minute video of today event in my Instagram @ fsttanks
Sponsored

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Oh there is more then just that one video I shot today. If the second dealership can’t figure it out then yes I will have no choice but to move forward with making “lemon juice”.

Again for those reading this I posted a short 1 minute video of the more then 12 minute video of today event in my Instagram @ fsttanks
I just saw the video, just as i expected it to be. Do not drive this thing anymore until you have a written CONFIRMATION of them stating they know what the issue was and detailed summary of what fix they applied.

Looks like this is gonna take a long time to diagnose this or find someone with the skillset and experience to find this "bug"

JimSa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My money is still on something shorting out at CAN-BUS C. The star connector behind the glove box has all the goodies plugged into it and one short tends take everything down. All of these are on that BUS; Cluster, Power Steering Pump, Occupant Restraint Controller, Powertrain Control, Steering Column Control, Anti-Lock Breaks, Transmission Control, Drive Train Control, Sway Bars, Electronic Shift, etc etc. While you shouldn't have to, If you reproduce the problem while parked, you can start by pulling some of these and/or measuring the connections with a multimeter.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update 11/27

Just spoke with the second dealership and they provided me with a copy of the OBD print out. 90% of the electrically controlled systems have failed or show faults. The service writer said they have never seen one quite this bad.

Below are photos of the print outs. You might have to enlarge the photo to read them more clearly.
D3197777-F78E-4F40-82D1-E87856DC92AE.jpeg
9CA8833E-B87E-4129-AD9E-BEB5E5F82E06.jpeg

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
It looks to me like the "engineers" put to much reliance on CAN BUS C. I am not an automotive tech, just a marine tech. Our stuff is pretty far behind automotive. But just the same, that's why they have different CAN buses; So if say, your door ajar monitoring bus goes down, it doesn't take out the brakes. Good God, what kind of piece of crap am I driving around in????

Sponsored

JimSa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I took another look at the CAN-BUS C wiring diagram. Most (if not all of those) are from CAN-BUS C. I had a similar report on mine, but about half the length. When I had an issue it was EPS (C3 Connector), but the Sway Bar Disconnect (C12) is somewhat notorious from what I have read. as several owners have reported shorts at the disconnect motor.

Attachments

NorCA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T eTorque
2019 JLU Rubicon | 2.0T eTorque | Sky One-Touch | All Options; All Factory; No Mods

Late on Friday 11/13, my partner was driving the 2019 JLUR 2.0T eTorque in rain/snow. With roughly 15K miles on the odometer and 40 miles from his destination, the engine check light came on, followed by various other fault indications from stability control to a failure in the forward collision warning. After pulling over on the highway and cycling the JLUR, the electrical faults continued to mount, including various transmission and stop/start system failures. The JLUR made it through the night.

Two days later, the JLUR was driven 140 miles home without any issues, alarms or faults illuminating. An appointment was made with the local Jeep dealer to investigate the faults encountered on 11/13, but the first service opening at the dealership was Friday 11/20.

Prior to the scheduled service appointment, late on a rainy Tuesday 11/17 while getting on the interstate 40 miles from home and with 60 miles to go, all faults went off and a complete loss of electrical accessories was encountered (e.g., steering, brakes, etc.). After pulling over, attempts were made to clear the faults by cycling the JLUR, including opening/closing doors, allowing time to elapse, etc.; no luck. The JLUR would not allow the transmission to go into drive; all faults were cascading.

Attempts were made to contact roadside assistance through the SOS uConnect system, but the uConnect operator was unable to reach anyone after 15 minutes; abandoned option. As I started the 90 minute drive to intercept the JLUR, my partner was able to start the JLUR in a limp mode (all faults still going, but transmission would go into drive), allowing him to take some back roads to a nearby Jeep Dealership.

The JLUR arrived at the remote dealership just before the sales department closed the lot. The transmission would not engage park upon arrival. Keys were left in the service department night drop box.

The initial diagnosis centered around the PCM. A replacement unit was ordered and installed, but all of the faults and problems still remained.

The JLUR remains in the service department at the remote dealership, now for over a week-and-a-half. While the dealership has been extremely cordial, I do not know if a root cause has been identified. I do not know what course of action is being discussed or how long it will take to reliably remedy everything. I also do not know if a TSB or recall campaign will result yet. I agree, this is a safety concern/issue.

Attachments

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon | 2.0T eTorque | Sky One-Touch | All Options; All Factory; No Mods

Late on Friday 11/13, my partner was driving the 2019 JLUR 2.0T eTorque in rain/snow. With roughly 15K miles on the odometer and 40 miles from his destination, the engine check light came on, followed by various other fault indications from stability control to a failure in the forward collision warning. After pulling over on the highway and cycling the JLUR, the electrical faults continued to mount, including various transmission and stop/start system failures. The JLUR made it through the night.

Two days later, the JLUR was driven 140 miles home without any issues, alarms or faults illuminating. An appointment was made with the local Jeep dealer to investigate the faults encountered on 11/13, but the first service opening at the dealership was Friday 11/20.

Prior to the scheduled service appointment, late on a rainy Tuesday 11/17 while getting on the interstate 40 miles from home and with 60 miles to go, all faults went off and a complete loss of electrical accessories was encountered (e.g., steering, brakes, etc.). After pulling over, attempts were made to clear the faults by cycling the JLUR, including opening/closing doors, allowing time to elapse, etc.; no luck. The JLUR would not allow the transmission to go into drive; all faults were cascading.

Attempts were made to contact roadside assistance through the SOS uConnect system, but the uConnect operator was unable to reach anyone after 15 minutes; abandoned option. As I started the 90 minute drive to intercept the JLUR, my partner was able to start the JLUR in a limp mode (all faults still going, but transmission would go into drive), allowing him to take some back roads to a nearby Jeep Dealership.

The JLUR arrived at the remote dealership just before the sales department closed the lot. The transmission would not engage park upon arrival. Keys were left in the service department night drop box.

The initial diagnosis centered around the PCM. A replacement unit was ordered and installed, but all of the faults and problems still remained.

The JLUR remains in the service department at the remote dealership, now for over a week-and-a-half. While the dealership has been extremely cordial, I do not know if a root cause has been identified. I do not know what course of action is being discussed or how long it will take to reliably remedy everything. I also do not know if a TSB or recall campaign will result yet. I agree, this is a safety concern/issue.
Thank you for posting your experience. These are not as isolated of incident as Jeep would like everyone to believe.

Keep us posted on your progress and let’s compare notes. I would also like to encourage anyone that has these issues with their JLs to please post your experiences as well. Maybe together we can find a common cause and solution.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE 11/30

(Simplified details)
Second dealership called and said my JEEP will be needing a new “infotainment” system and alternator. Both had been “damaged” as a result of the failures. There may be “other parts” that will also need replacement but they will not know until the new infotainment and alternator are installed as both of these “need” to be working correctly to at least have a base starting point.

Time line is looking like a minimum of TWO WEEKS. Between the two repair visits that will put me at a MONTH with no JEEP.

Last edited:

Stiljms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
UPDATE 11/30

(Simplified details)
Second dealership called and said my JEEP will be needing a new “infotainment” system and alternator. Both had “damaged” as a result of the failures. There may be “other parts” that will also need replacement but they will not know until the new infotainment and alternator are installed as both of these “need” to be working correctly to at least have a base starting point.

Time line is looking like a minimum of TWO WEEKS. Between the two repair visits that will put me at a MONTH with no JEEP.
Did the dealer give you any ideas of what was the root cause of these failures? What failed first and the cascaded to the other components?

Thanks for keep us updated.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the dealer give you any ideas of what was the root cause of these failures? What failed first and the cascaded to the other components?

Thanks for keep us updated.
Summarizing what I was told:

No. They don’t know because the systems needed to find out were ALL effect. Apparently these system are tied into the “infotainment system” and will not work properly without it. With the infotainment system being trashed they have to wait until a new one can be installed. That will take time as the systems are “coded to the VIN” of each vehicle. They had to “order” one using my VIN or it would not work.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Reading this entire post , and driving a 2019 Jeep, I'm seriously thinking about going back to a 69' Chevy truck.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
UPDATE 11/30

(Simplified details)
Second dealership called and said my JEEP will be needing a new “infotainment” system and alternator. Both had “damaged” as a result of the failures. There may be “other parts” that will also need replacement but they will not know until the new infotainment and alternator are installed as both of these “need” to be working correctly to at least have a base starting point.

One month out of service will meet lemon law requirements in CA.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
One month out of service will meet lemon law requirements in CA.
I would lemon law it if the period out of service meets CA guidelines. The techs don’t really have a clue....they are backwards building to a point when they can START troubleshooting. What a cluster. If they can’t come up with a definitive cause and solution I wouldn’t think they would want to risk the liability of a repeat....sorry for your headaches.
Sponsored