Sponsored

My 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
The old steering locks were mechanical you do not have them with key fobs
Not necessarily...
I have vehicles with push-button start and steering locks (solenoid actuated.)

And the JL/JTs don't have steering locks; that's one reason they're popular for flat towing.
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Not necessarily...
I have vehicles with push-button start and steering locks (solenoid actuated.)

And the JL/JTs don't have steering locks; that's one reason they're popular for flat towing.
I was talking Jeep

Stiljms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
fsttanks, is the your Wrangler an eTorque model? Could the low voltage you reported related to the generator not working correctly?

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
fsttanks, is the your Wrangler an eTorque model? Could the low voltage you reported related to the generator not working correctly?
It is a 3.6 NON eTorque. I mentioned nothing about it having low voltage quite the contrary. As I stated in earlier post threads, the voltage “gage” read before and after the second event 12.5-12.7 volts. Checked it independently and the battery was holding a charge and had a steady 12 volts.

There was NO low battery warning light either before or after both events. The check engine light came on after the second event, but went out before the Jeep reached the dealership.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... Also keep in mind there was no stable power and turning the wheel to far could have engaged the “parked” wheel lock with no way to unlock it. ...
That is exactly where I was expecting your initial post to go, when you said you lost all power. That is a very legitimate concern, and obviously an extremely hazardous situation.

The “man handle them” part concerns me. I am a big guy in pretty good shape but my wife and son are nowhere as strong as myself and if I had difficulty, it would have been...well ugly. Same is true for many many others I would suspect.

If it was one failure I could see them working through it but all three of the major systems all requiring such effort.
Oh, you're absolutely right, I don't mean to down play the seriousness of the situation. It is extremely dangerous and for someone who is ill-prepared, and/or ill-equipped to handle such a situation, it could easily have been catastrophic. You have a very valid complaint/concern about this.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
This was absolutely terrifying to read, I'm glad you and your family made it out okay.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly where I was expecting your initial post to go, when you said you lost all power. That is a very legitimate concern, and obviously an extremely hazardous situation.

Oh, you're absolutely right, I don't mean to down play the seriousness of the situation. It is extremely dangerous and for someone who is ill-prepared, and/or ill-equipped to handle such a situation, it could easily have been catastrophic. You have a very valid complaint/concern about this.
Shots, some good is coming from all this. Others have tested the steering wheel locking concern and found the JL does not have it. I did not know this at the time as I have only had this Jeep a short while and had never tried to us it. Seem others haven’t either so I thank them for testing their JLs to see what would have happened. Still at the moment I assumed it had a steering wheel lock since every vehicle I have ever driven in the last 35+ years has had one.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something interesting I am seeing in my recent research of similar system failures. Most of the JLs this is happening to are Rubicons and Saharas with the Alpine 8.4 infotainment system.

Anyone else seeing this commonality?

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Dealer has had it for three days...has the issue or suspect issue been identified. This is pretty scary crap....

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer has had it for three days...has the issue or suspect issue been identified. This is pretty scary crap....
No word back yet. It is still under “investigation”? I am hoping that there is more information available tomorrow, Fri. If not it won’t be until Mon next week.

Jeep Customer Care contact me today and actually seemed concerned?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Thank you for the reply - your episode is really disturbing the more I think about it. I could probably handle the situation but my wife and daughter could not. I’m glad Jeep Cares is concerned. Hopefully it’s something minor...but then again that would also be a concern if such a huge vulnerability could appear because of a small issue. Take care and good luck! I will be watching this tread.

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
Thanks in advance @Fsttanks for keeping us all informed. I don't own a Jeep yet but I'm about 99.9% ready to buy a JLRU. I too have the big time concern about what if this happen with either my wife are daughter driving. Steering play, death wobble, locker sensor failings, and now this! Pause button has once again firmly been pressed.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks in advance @Fsttanks for keeping us all informed. I don't own a Jeep yet but I'm about 99.9% ready to buy a JLRU. I too have the big time concern about what if this happen with either my wife are daughter driving. Steering play, death wobble, locker sensor failings, and now this! Pause button has once again firmly been pressed.
The issues like I experienced have been around for a while. First started seeing them pop up in the 18-19 models. I figured “first year bugs” and it for sure has been sorted out by 2020 so I traded in my 2013 Wrangler. Apparently not, it is still happening.

The other issues you brought up have been solved or are owner induced (locker sensors failing when gears are changed). They are mechanical issues and much easier to track down then electrical gremlins.....LoL

I would have much rather had one of the other problems vs what I have. At least those we know have solid one time fixes for.
Sponsored

Last edited: