Sponsored

My 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Following because these threads are like watching an old movie again from your childhood.
Just like movies that should never be remade but are. Or sequels that are worst then the first move.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Wow that is so scary. Surprised you don't have a dash cam with your expertise on vehicles.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow that is so scary. Surprised you don't have a dash cam with your expertise on vehicles.
A dash cam would not have shown anything except the windshield wipers going back and forth. If anything that was a bit of laugher we had about the incident while rehashing it today.

There was more then just myself in the Jeep and more then just my cell phone........

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Tony, glad you & your family got through this without any damage (except to your piece of mind). Look forward to hearing what becomes of this, and hope you can get back to a place where you feel good about driving this again.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
This is a STRONG WARNING to all Jeep JL owners!
3C3EE3B8-D2DA-486D-A813-4B3E154E5553.jpeg

This weekend while taking a short family trip in our five month old 2020 Jeep JLUR we had TWO COMPLETE computer failures both without ANY warning.

The first was at a busy intersection the engine shut down and ALL the instruments and infotainment system went crazy included the SOS which started sending alerts that could not be stopped. I had NO ability to activate the hazards lights to warn other vehicles behind me or any ability to restart the engine. Twice we were almost rear ended so when it was safe enough I had my family exit to safety. My Jeep remained immobile in the intersection for almost 10 mins. At which point the computer system reset and I was able to move the Jeep to a safe location. After the incident there were no engine warning light of any kind and all the system were back to work as normal.

Thinking this was a one off glitch we continued on our trip. Well that was a huge mistake. Not much more then 10 min later while driving at freeway speeds there was another COMPLETE computer failure and total loss of ALL vehicle control. The steering all but froze up, engine was sputtering and loosing power worst the brakes were NOT working! All this on top of the other instruments going crazy. I managed with some effort to muscle the steering wheel enough to get the Jeep over to the extremely small “emergency lane” but then had NO brakes to stop with and our speed at this time was around 50mph. I was literally standing on the brake pedal and it was having almost no effect. I ended up having to use the “E” brake to stop our Jeep!

Once stopped, again NO “hazard lights” could be engaged and NOTHING worked! So now we were half in and half out of the traffic lanes. I carry flares and being this had just happen a few minutes early I was thinking about them so I deployed them to warn traffic and hopefully not get rear ended by a high speed passerby.

15 or so minutes later the computer system once again reset? I was then able to move the Jeep off the freeway. This time the “check engine” light was on. Seeing this I though REALLY NO F’N KIDDING.

Needless to say Jeep had a call from me and I have filed a report with the NTSB. Had either one of these incident occurred just a short time early as we had driven through a high speed (70mph) section of winding mountain roads I would not have been able to steer or brake sufficiently enough to have avoided a major crash. Fortunately I am a trained EVOC driver with decades of high speed and off-road skills to draw from. Had my wife or son or anyone with far less experience “behind the wheel” been driving when the last incident happen there is no way they could have safety made it off to the side of the road. Hell I was shaking and almost S**T my pants. I have had failure of steering and brakes before while on the job in other vehicles, but NEVER all the major systems at the same time let alone while at 70mph.

In more then 35 years of drive both personally and as a professional I have never been scared of driving a vehicle until today. I will never trust my JLUR again until Jeep can 100% in writing guarantee me this will NEVER happen again!!!

I don’t think the majority of JL owner actually realizes just how much of their Jeep is controlled solely by the one computer with no backup and that they have no real control over their vehicles except which the computer grants them. So be aware if your computer fails you are just along for the ride. And it’s a scary one!!!

P.S. Yes I am aware there have been other threads on similar topics. But none state the real danger involved. The Jeep was towed to my local dealerships where it will sit until ?. It is not a battery issue as both show full charges and voltage.

Your thoughts and constructive input are welcome.
My 2020 JLU makes a popping sound through the speakers just before it shuts off without warning....it has done this a hand full of times since I put about 5k miles on it. Soon after the popping, (seconds)it reboots and comes back on but it has me worried just the same. There is no doubt that the electronics in these cars are going to be troublesome in the coming years. Reminds me of the Audis and how troublesome they used to be since the late 80's or maybe a bit earlier. You probably have bad connection most likely somewhere along the wires.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2020 JLU makes a popping sound through the speakers just before it shuts off without warning....it has done this a hand full of times since I put about 5k miles on it. Soon after the popping, (seconds)it reboots and comes back on but it has me worried just the same. There is no doubt that the electronics in these cars are going to be troublesome in the coming years. Reminds me of the Audis and how troublesome they used to be since the late 80's or maybe a bit earlier. You probably have bad connection most likely somewhere along the wires.
I truly am hoping it is just that simple. I have been a Wranglers guy for decades and my plan was to have this Jeep for a very long time. I would hate to eat crow and become a Bronco or Toyota guy out of Jeep’s inability to make this vehicle safe.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
A dash cam would not have shown anything except the windshield wipers going back and forth. If anything that was a bit of laugher we had about the incident while rehashing it today.

There was more then just myself in the Jeep and more then just my cell phone........
Most dash cams now are dual view. It can help back up your case by showing your efforts and reactions as well as the danger it put you in. Could also be a great learning experience for us by watching the steps you took to get to safety.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Don’t ask me I did not design or build them. I do not know how the electrical system integrate with them. It’s just how it was explained to me. They wording was electrical assisted braking.

They are computer control and with no computer you have NO brakes to speak off!! That is the point regardless of how they work.
Word that I think ur looking for is hydroboost? However , when my vehicle is shut off , if I remember correctly it still brakes though quite a bit more resistance on the pedal.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I truly am hoping it is just that simple. I have been a Wranglers guy for decades and my plan was to have this Jeep for a very long time. I would hate to eat crow and become a Bronco or Toyota guy out of Jeep’s inability to make this vehicle safe.
This probably isn't simple even if it is just that ..theres a lot of spaghetti in that car ..and i don't mean the edible kind.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Word that I think ur looking for is hydroboost? However , when my vehicle is shut off , if I remember correctly it still brakes though quite a bit more resistance on the pedal.
That is what made this all the more exciting. I expected to have far more braking potential but it wasn’t there. Coupled with the inability effectively steer and loss of engine power made the situation worst. It was a catastrophe failure of multiple systems at the same time. No one ever trains for that kind of situation and I have been through a lot of training.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
ME: My god these Jeeps are unsafe and unreliable. Why would anyone buy one?

ALSO ME: I’d like my 450 HP 392 in Hella Yella please.
Nothing makes you feel more alive than loose steering and death wobble at 100mph.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I wouldn't be too surprised if the broncos could have similar issues along the lines. Complex electronics are standard in all cars these days. It's cool to have so much sophistication in a vehicle but it almost always comes at a cost.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
That is what made this all the more exciting. I expected to have far more braking potential but it wasn’t there. Coupled with the inability effectively steer and loss of engine power made the situation worst. It was a catastrophe failure of multiple systems at the same time. No one ever trains for that kind of situation and I have been through a lot of training.
Hydroboost is unlike vacuum doesn't store extra pump of the pedal for assist but it should be able to apply at least some force to the pads when stomping on it. I 'm going to check this tonite on mine.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
If you have etorque you don't need to worry about stressing the battery or starter. Regular ESS, I can see the concern.
I don't have etorque just regular ESS
Sponsored