Sponsored

My 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
That is what made this all the more exciting. I expected to have far more braking potential but it wasn’t there. Coupled with the inability effectively steer and loss of engine power made the situation worst. It was a catastrophe failure of multiple systems at the same time. No one ever trains for that kind of situation and I have been through a lot of training.
The verdict .. didn't start the car at all. just sat in and let the handbrake off ...car started rolling ...The first application on brakes work about as well as with the hydroboost pump on or also as vacuum powered ones. Second application on the brakes a bit more resistance is felt but still relatively easy ...its on the third application of the brakes when the pedal went quite stiff. Nevertheless, I was able to stop it from rolling . Mind u that i was just going crawling speed but there was some function at least. It shouldn't feel too different then vacuum boost .. so if u lost braking theres some issues it seems. Scary nonetheless.
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Interesting. It would seem like even with complete shut-down, you would have still had steering and brakes, albeit both "manual" and requiring significantly more effort than normal.
I wonder if the brakes seemingly didn't work because the ABS module essentially locked down and wouldn't let any fluid at all pass through it? So many damn computers in everything these days, but you'd think they'd at least have some kind of "by-pass" to the ABS block to allow the brake to work manually for precisely this kind of situation?
I too wonder if the abs have something to do with it

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
This is definitely a scary feeling especially with family inside the jeep. It might be your fuses not seated all the way.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Steering and brake are electrical assist. Just how much electrical assist I don’t think most know until it’s gone.

One would think there would be some braking force that could be applied by the average sized person. I am almost 200lbs and in quite decent shape and I was all but standing on the brake pedal to get laughably little braking effect. My 120lbs wife pushing on it would have done nothing.

The steering was far heavier then vintage 1960 non power truck steering. One would think it would be at least better then that. Nope not without electrical power.
While rolling the car shouldn't have too much resistance ..its when u start going slow that steering starts getting more heavier but also u have to look at the diameter of the steering compared to the sixties truck... they had a way bigger steering wheel that offered u more fulcrum to turn it ... this might be the difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
The verdict .. didn't start the car at all. just sat in and let the handbrake off ...car started rolling ...The first application on brakes work about as well as with the hydroboost pump on or also as vacuum powered ones. Second application on the brakes a bit more resistance is felt but still relatively easy ...its on the third application of the brakes when the pedal went quite stiff. Nevertheless, I was able to stop it from rolling . Mind u that i was just going crawling speed but there was some function at least. It shouldn't feel too different then vacuum boost .. so if u lost braking theres some issues it seems. Scary nonetheless.
I wish I knew and could tell you more, it acted like nothing I have experienced before and I have experienced brake loss a few times over the year while offering and at lower speeds. But again the brakes were only one of the issues and together they made for an extremely dangerous situation.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I wish I knew and could tell you more, it acted like nothing I have experienced before and I have experienced brake loss a few times over the year while offering and at lower speeds. But again the brakes were only one of the issues and together they made for an extremely dangerous situation.
Ok to me this indicates its the ABS ..just a hunch .. I hate electronically controlled brakes.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While rolling the car shouldn't have too much resistance ..its when u start going slow that steering starts getting more heavier but also u have to look at the diameter of the steering compared to the sixties truck... they had a way bigger steering wheel that offered u more fulcrum to turn it ... this might be the difference.
I used a 60s truck analogy to help folks have a reference point in understand that it was not just a simple task. I was surprised at the effort to took given the speed at the time. I have lost power steering before in SUVs and large sedans and this was nothing like what I experienced in the past. It was four or five times hard to turn the wheel.

Also I was concerned that the wheel security lock might engage as it does when the vehicle is turned off and parked and you turn the wheel. At the point I had no working reliability electronics and the concern over it locking did flash across my mind since everything was turning on and off and acting crazy. That would have made things worst.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Also, did u ever look at the fluid level in the canister . maybe u saw it on the low side?

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is definitely a scary feeling especially with family inside the jeep. It might be your fuses not seated all the way.
I checked that the first time it happened. All were inserted correctly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, did u ever look at the fluid level in the canister . maybe u saw it on the low side?
Yes I check the brake fluid levels. I also made a fairly good inspect of the engine bay looking for leaking fluids or burnt wires. I saw nothing out of places.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I used a 60s truck analogy to help folks have a reference point in understand that it was not just a simple task. I was surprised at the effort to took given the speed at the time. I have lost power steering before in SUVs and large sedans and this was nothing like what I experienced in the past. It was four or five times hard to turn the wheel.

Also I was concerned that the wheel security lock might engage as it does when the vehicle is turned off and parked and you turn the wheel. At the point I had no working reliability electronics and the concern over it locking did flash across my mind since everything was turning on and off and acting crazy. That would have made things worst.
Yes, the wheel lock would have me going straight to the laundromat , u wouldn't have been to move it whatsoever. Flashing on and off .. hmm loose ground comes to mind . Jeep owes u

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Yes I check the brake fluid levels. I also made a fairly good inspect of the engine bay looking for leaking fluids or burnt wires. I saw nothing out of places.
I haven't checked but I recall when I did work on German cars (just a few not a full blown mechanic) Hydraboost fluid was used for both power steering and brakes... both run by the same pump. But I doubt this is ur problem

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Just out of curiosity have you had any MODs done that required any of your wiring to be disconnected?

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just out of curiosity have you had any MODs done that required any of your wiring to be disconnected?
Nope NONE that requires any splices.

I did unplug the fog lights once a few months ago. But that should in no way effect the entire computer system and cause a catastrophic computer failure. What happens if you have to change a light bulb when your nowhere near dealership. If it did then we all have A HElL OF LOT to worry about. Then God forbid we take our doors off and unplug the wires needed to do so. LoL
Sponsored

Last edited: