Sponsored

My 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend.

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Forgive me if this has already been pointed out (I didn't really want to read 19 pages),but I assume you could steer, just without power steering. And secondly, wouldn't the Emergency or Parking brake still work to stop the vehicle?
When power is lost to the steering in the JL it is very different then in prior Jeeps like the Jk or TJ. The JL uses the electrical power to greatly assist the steering and when lost it becomes extremely heavy, far more then vehicles of the past and heavier then other vehicles I have experienced steering loss in. For a person not of my build it would been extremely challenging to turn the wheel. Effectively making the JL largely un-steerable. Couple this with the loss of engine control and brakes all at the same time and one gets quickly overwhelmed with loss of vehicle control.

Yes the emergency brake still worked and was used once the Jeep was moving slow enough for it to be effective and I had the Jeep out of traffic into the “emergency lane” of the frwy.

These failure happened several times over the course of my year ownership of the Jeep. The issues were never solved and only after a lawyer was involved was the situation resolved.

As I stated elsewhere in this thread the cause was suspected BUT NEVER confirmed as being loose fuses in the main engine fuse box that caused shorts “somewhere” in the bus system. Once the damage was done there was no easy ( aka cost effective ) fix.
Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Just to chime in with my non-Jeep tale- I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Elite. Beautiful car, lots of great technology. Reputation for being dependable. I bought it brand new and took good care of it. Right before our first big trip in this car, the infotainment screen went completely black. No radio or menu or Garman street map or anything- just went black. Dealer found it was a bad fuse and all was well for a few years.
Fast forward about 4 years and some weird sensor I never heard of before went bad. I went to start it up, started backing out, and the car immediately revved uncontrollably..it has a push button gear selector and I couldn't switch gears to Park..brakes were almost non functional but stopped the car when I stood hard on the pedal...steering was impossible...pushed the ignition button to just shut it off but nothing happened...I pushed it several times and it finally shut off.
Had a flatbed truck take it to Honda so they could diagnose it and it ended up being some kind of oil pressure sensor or something. It was causing the engine to rev uncontrollably and messing with the electronics. I was afraid to drive it for weeks after until it proved itself. If my wife had been driving it serious damage would have been done and she would have got hurt. It was a catastrophic failure.

So Jeep isn’t the only one that has these oddball anomalies.