Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I smell a lawsuit and recall brewing.
I bet when you took it in to get it looked at the dealer just shrugged it off and said the following:

“Cannot replicate”
“Functioning as designed”
“Just-a-Jeep-thang”
“Just drive it till it explodes”
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
And Matt I wouldn't tell @JeepCares anything. Don't start a case with them and don't let them know what dealer you're taking it to until after you get some kind of diagnosis. All they did for me was make sure that every dealer I took my jeep to had the exact same story in order to deny that I have a problem.
Jeepcares won't help Canadians anyways, but that's good to know

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I smell a lawsuit and recall brewing.
I bet when you took it in to get it looked at the dealer just shrugged it off and said the following:

“Cannot replicate”
“Functioning as designed”
“Just-a-Jeep-thang”
“Just drive it till it explodes”
Oh yeah, I've gotten the functioning as designed around my super loose steering already

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Oh yeah, I've gotten the functioning as designed around my super loose steering already
I don't know if it matters since you're in Canada but if it does, make sure you file a complaint with the NHTSA. This goes for everyone having any of these QC issues. Jeep won't do anything voluntarily. It's going to take big brother to make them budge on these dangerous issues.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Did you check the intermediate shaft? I think there was a recall on them in 2018. Seems more likely than the steering box. Was the steering wheel still centered after the incident?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you check the intermediate shaft? I think there was a recall on them in 2018. Seems more likely than the steering box. Was the steering wheel still centered after the incident?
I'm sorry, I don't know what that is, that's why I take to dealer, I have limited time to go too indepth on the mechanical learning. All current recalls in Canada are up to date. As for the wheel I don't know, fire rescue were in and touched it and I didn't get to really go back in since it was towed right away.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Brake Failure and Steering failure have nothing in common. Sorry, you can loose steering assist but can still steer. You can lose a brake booster but still stop. This is true of all modern vehicles. There is no way you lost the ability to brake and steer, it is not possible.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This reminds me of a thread where the JL caught on fire and the owner was looking to sue jeep or something like that. To the OP, the best you can hope for is the jeep is totaled and you can get something else. Whether the Jeep contributed to the accident or not is moot at this point.

As to what happened, the lack of steering is unclear whether it locked up or the wheel was just spinning freely with no change in direction. I could defiantly see it feeling like locking up if you lost power assist which is very possible. Having the wheel freewheel and then act normal isn't really mechanically possible.

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brake Failure and Steering failure have nothing in common. Sorry, you can loose steering assist but can still steer. You can lose a brake booster but still stop. This is true of all modern vehicles. There is no way you lost the ability to brake and steer, it is not possible.
/Shrug what happened happened,
This. While it's possible to completely lose steering or braking, those losses would be permanent, not self-healing
Wow, option 1 sounds like it could likely be true. I've had several problems with my ess causing misstarts as well as stalls. You've given me another vector to attack when it gets to it, thank you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This reminds me of a thread where the JL caught on fire and the owner was looking to sue jeep or something like that. To the OP, the best you can hope for is the jeep is totaled and you can get something else. Whether the Jeep contributed to the accident or not is moot at this point.

As to what happened, the lack of steering is unclear whether it locked up or the wheel was just spinning freely with no change in direction. I could defiantly see it feeling like locking up if you lost power assist which is very possible. Having the wheel freewheel and then act normal isn't really mechanically possible.
Yeah, it's likely I'm screwed for the insurance reasons. What I'm hoping to get out of this is simply have the Jeep bought back because it's not safe to operate clearly.

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the problem with your insurance? Why are you ‘screwed’.
They have already claimed a 100% at fault collision, which I disagree with so my rates are probably going to go up.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
They have already claimed a 100% at fault collision, which I disagree with so my rates are probably going to go up.
Ok, just interested, I’m in the U.K., sometimes these things work differently. So you’re hoping to avoid claiming on the insurance in this instance?
Sponsored