Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
EDIT 2018 JL, not 2019

Last year(October) when i was just cruising around doing day to day stuff, i was heading down a very low grade hill doing 70km/h and a red light was up coming, so i started to brake to stop for it. Except, when i pushed my brake pedal nothing happened, i tried to steer off to the right because there was a safe area where i could coast, Except i also lost ALL steering. I could move the wheel, but nothing happened to the direction of the jeep. This lasted for about 7 seconds then everything came back, luckily the road was clear. Super fucking terrifying.

I took it to the dealer, and had it inspected, and when i got it back i was told its safe to drive, it was a one time thing. I have a short commute, so i only have about 15,000km on it so far. All service intervals have been done, at the dealer.

So I was going to work today to grab a few things from my toolbox. When i was approaching the intersection i needed to turn at I started to brake... and nothing... tried to steer away from the cars ahead of me... nothing. I blew threw the intersection and hit the car ahead of me(50ishkm/h). Same issue, after the dealer told me it was safe to drive. The fact that you can lose the 2 most important functions at the same time, honestly what the hell.

Currently have all of the proper things rolling, but @JeepCares Do you have any input?
Sponsored

Reactions: baz

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Oh, wow. Iā€™m so sorry to hear this. I hope you and the other driver are OK.

As for Jeep, give them hell.

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, wow. Iā€™m so sorry to hear this. I hope you and the other driver are OK.

As for Jeep, give them hell.
My body is really sore, as would be expected, other driver went to hospital for a checkup. The Jeep looked almost unharmed, the second car not so much. Sadly I couldn't just drive it to the dealer to get it looked at right away, now I need to wait out the red tape.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not that it matters at this point, but did you try your E Brake either time you experienced the non responsive brake pedal behavior?

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that it matters at this point, but did you try your E Brake either time you experienced the non responsive brake pedal behavior?
No, after no brake happened I tried to steer away to a clear area(opposing lanes were clear from a red Ahead).

Sponsored

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Brakes I could see if you have air in your lines or a hole in the system someplace.... But how do you lose steering temporarily? Isn't it still a physical connection with an electric booster?
It is a physical connection. (The steering)

They way it's described.
Hit the brakes... Nothing
Try to steer... Nothing

Kinda sounds like you were on a sheet of ice.

But to happen to the same person twice and in different locations!?!?

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brakes I could see if you have air in your lines or a hole in the system someplace.... But how do you lose steering temporarily? Isn't it still a physical connection with an electric booster?
Hell if I know my man. I'm no mechanic, and am unawares of what is what type of connection. All I can say is the symptoms at time of incident which is unresponsive brakes, and the steering wheel was essentially a giant dead zone

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a physical connection. (The steering)

They way it's described.
Hit the brakes... Nothing
Try to steer... Nothing

Kinda sounds like you were on a sheet of ice.

But to happen to the same person twice and in different locations!?!?
I'm aware it sounds kinda far fetched, but that's why I took it to the dealer to get diagnosed, it was really scary. The first time it happened it lasted about 7seconds and it was 15* C out, no way it was ice. Thats what is so messed up, whichever way it goes I'm never going to feel safe in this Jeep.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Sorry but if this happened to me Iā€™d 1) make them pull it apart and show me. No way Iā€™d leave without satisfaction. 2) Iā€™d hook up a go pro and let them know once itā€™s on film, I will own the dealership if it happens again.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The steering cant fail like that... Its not drive by wire...

The first time it happened for you when the steering came back it should not be center when driving straight because it had to skip its center line and the steering gear should be all jacked up.

No way can the dealer just tell you by looking at it its a one time thing and it will be ok to drive and if they did you are nuts for accepting the Jeep back and drive it normally.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry but if this happened to me Iā€™d 1) make them pull it apart and show me. No way Iā€™d leave without satisfaction. 2) Iā€™d hook up a go pro and let them know once itā€™s on film, I will own the dealership if it happens again.
Its going to be towed to the dealer i bought it from, and i was there the night it happe
The steering cant fail like that... Its not drive by wire...

The first time it happened for you when the steering came back it should not be center when driving straight because it had to skip its center line and the steering gear should be all jacked up.

No way can the dealer just tell you by looking at it its a one time thing and it will be ok to drive and if they did you are nuts for accepting the Jeep back and drive it normally.
So what you are saying is that you don't trust the dealers at all? That's a pretty grim look at things. As for "can't fail like that" well, since it happened it can, but i agree with the sentiment that it SHOULDN'T be possible

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
EDIT 2018 JL, not 2019

Last year(October) when i was just cruising around doing day to day stuff, i was heading down a very low grade hill doing 70km/h and a red light was up coming, so i started to brake to stop for it. Except, when i pushed my brake pedal nothing happened, i tried to steer off to the right because there was a safe area where i could coast, Except i also lost ALL steering. I could move the wheel, but nothing happened to the direction of the jeep. This lasted for about 7 seconds then everything came back, luckily the road was clear. Super fucking terrifying.

I took it to the dealer, and had it inspected, and when i got it back i was told its safe to drive, it was a one time thing. I have a short commute, so i only have about 15,000km on it so far. All service intervals have been done, at the dealer.

So I was going to work today to grab a few things from my toolbox. When i was approaching the intersection i needed to turn at I started to brake... and nothing... tried to steer away from the cars ahead of me... nothing. I blew threw the intersection and hit the car ahead of me(50ishkm/h). Same issue, after the dealer told me it was safe to drive. The fact that you can lose the 2 most important functions at the same time, honestly what the hell.

Currently have all of the proper things rolling, but @JeepCares Do you have any input?
Hi Matt,
We're sincerely sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, our team is not authorized to assist customer's outside of the United States. I have included a link below which includes the contact information for Canadian Customer Care. We recommend reaching out to them for additional assistance.
https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx
Alex
JeepCares

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Its going to be towed to the dealer i bought it from, and i was there the night it happe

So what you are saying is that you don't trust the dealers at all? That's a pretty grim look at things. As for "can't fail like that" well, since it happened it can, but i agree with the sentiment that it SHOULDN'T be possible

I wouldnĀ“t trust anyone that tells me its a one off thing my vehicle lost steering and brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I wouldnĀ“t trust anyone that tells me its a one off thing my vehicle lost steering and brakes, seriously man I canĀ“t believe how someone with your common sense has the means to afford a new vehicle.
you also don't know what these FCA dealers are like then. They have mastered the art of denying that any jeep has any problem and have mastered the art of handing it back having done nothing to the vehicle and filling up the work order with "things they did" If they didn't get any kind of "code" from the vehicle then to them it didn't happen. Then when you call them on it they ask what you would like them to do? They won't fix anything that they don't find wrong. I agree that having the brakes and steering go out is a massive red flag but really you have zero options but to believe the dealer when they say "there isn't anything wrong" or " it's a one time thing" because there is zero recourse. They have made sure that they aren't responsible for ANYTHING.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
And Matt I wouldn't tell @JeepCares anything. Don't start a case with them and don't let them know what dealer you're taking it to until after you get some kind of diagnosis. All they did for me was make sure that every dealer I took my jeep to had the exact same story in order to deny that I have a problem.
Sponsored