David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, motor failure is reasonable and a driver should be expected to recognize the issue and react appropriately in the situation.

OODA Loop.
Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Even if the engine stalled there would still be residual power braking on the initial pedal input.

the onboard computer is constantly storing data. If you feel the engine died, there is a data trail to back you up. Just a word of caution—if you want to pursue a legal case, understand that the pre-crash data is stored including your speed. Not accusing, just saying the computer is a tattletale.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I'm gonna get up to 55 tomorrow and shut it down and test brakes and steering, just for kicks.
Not in traffic of course.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Agreed, motor failure is reasonable and a driver should be expected to recognize the issue and react appropriately in the situation.

OODA Loop.
Yes, and every airline pilot should recognize runaway pitch trim and shut off the trim motors.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
is this the same steering that’s in the dodge challengers? My sister lost power steering in hers, she had to have it towed. Even the AAA guy could only steer it a few inches very slowly with great effort. No way anybody could steer it quickly in just a few seconds to avoid an accident. I think it was a 2015 Challenger.
I was way off, it was a 2013 Challenger. When she had it towed to the dealer they told her it was electric steering.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
.... i also lost ALL steering. I could move the wheel, but nothing happened to the direction of the jeep.
I don’t think the OP lost power asstance to the steering. He says that he could ‘move the wheel’.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and every airline pilot should recognize runaway pitch trim and shut off the trim motors.
And even highly trained people make mistakes in stressful situations and form false memories of the event. Only the computer will tell the truth if it is programed to capture the right inputs.

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This guy right here. If I could add a flair to your name it would be “test pilot”. Thanks for your service.

I did test it, too, but it wasn’t at 55—more like 5.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So i went out this morning, run up to 55 and shut her off. No issues whatsoever. Steered fine , stopped decent. So im saying it wasnt loss of engine.
AFAIK you should be able to get an assisted pump or two out of the brakes (with the engine off) before the pedal gets hard. Unless you have a brake line leak or something.

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely scenario - this is a story to get everyone all riled up.
Seems like it worked.
I'll keep my jeep thank you.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited, 2018 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1992 YJ Islander
Brake Failure and Steering failure have nothing in common. Sorry, you can loose steering assist but can still steer. You can lose a brake booster but still stop. This is true of all modern vehicles. There is no way you lost the ability to brake and steer, it is not possible.
I second this reply having spent 20 years as a technician and service advisor for a few high-end dealerships your steering does not just go out like that and come back. If it goes out it stays out. You have a gearbox on there not a rack and Pinion not drive by wire. If your power steering goes out you can still manually steer. This incident sounds more like you hit a patch of ice or hydroplaned. That is the only thing in this universe that will cause you to lose brakes and steering at the same time. As for the dealership telling you it’s a one time thing
 Basically they couldn’t find anything wrong with your vehicle at all so they were just trying to tell you something that would calm you down. Or as we call it... NPF. Since I am also a licensed auto insurance agent
 I feel safe to say you were probably considered at fault in the accident in which even if you come up with undeniable proof that the manufacturer was at fault somehow That will not change a thing as far as the insurance goes.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's similar. Must be something about the EPHS system. We had an older 300 where the engine died and I was able to turn it when getting it pushed in the street. It definitely required a LOT of effort lol.
No it is not the same steering system at all the Dodge Challenger has a rack and Pinion steering which is completely different

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna get up to 55 tomorrow and shut it down and test brakes and steering, just for kicks.
Not in traffic of course.
Here’s the thing
 They clearly stated that they turned the wheel but it did not change the direction of the vehicle. So that would mean the entire gearbox had to fail momentarily. I don’t know how much experience most of you out there have But that just doesn’t happen!!! I would say borderline physical impossibility.