My 2018 JL sports brakes and steering failed today(AGAIN) causing a crash

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
1) trailer hasn't been on my Jeep since August, I'm not sure why everyone keeps bringing it up. It def wasn't attached when this happened.
2) if the data doesn't support what happened, I'll just get rid of the Jeep and eat my losses insurance and taxwise. There's no way I'd continue to drive a vehical that is going to keep causing fucked up braking situations.
And probably not disclose the brake problem:asshat:
Sponsored

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
I have had the same steering issue, turn the steering wheel and nothing happens and also the stuck steering multiple times - 18 JL - took it to the dealer and they could not find anything (multiple times) - go figure - just got it back from the service department for the last time - now i am pissed - now taking it to a third party expert witness company who will do an unbiased inspection and report and going legal - almost went over a 600+ ft cliff when the steering stuck and frankly the 18'S and up have too many documented steering issues for FCA to blow off any more - enough is enough - in another blog other bloggers sighted that out of 450k built and sold 800 or 900 issues for steering reported is not bad - they would say different if it was happening to them - JUST 1 IS BAD WHEN IT IS A KNOWN ISSUE AND IT COSTS SOMEONE THEIR LIFE!

We have experienced the steering dead spot numerous times in our early '18 JLUR. I never noticed a problem with the brakes, though. Usually, it will do it once for a few seconds and then act normal for days, weeks, or months. Over our winter vacation in Moab, it was fine one sub-20's morning dragging the RZR to a trailhead. But when we left, it did it repeatedly, on every 4th or 5th turn until we shut it off at the hotel. Anyone that's been to Moab knows 313 hwy coming back from Dead horse State Park and all the corners. And also, 191 hwy has a several mile long downhill section coming into town with a left turn at the very bottom. Finding out your steering is all but locked while pulling a single axle trailer on a snow-covered highway will wake you up in a hurry. And yeah, you can steer, but the force required is a lot more than losing a power steering belt in the old days, and 5x harder than a manual steering car. I'm almost 50 years old and have driven my share of vehicles, and not one has been this hard to steer when it's acting up. Not one. It feels like it's binding up and then lets loose. So, you're giving it a considerable amount of force, and then it lets loose, causing you to jerk the wheel. I'm surprised my trailer didn't whip the assend around in the snow.

2018DeathTrap

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport unlimited
New to the break issue thing, however, I am not surprised to hear about it given all the steering issues.
I do not think the 2 issues (breaks and steering) are related, but I am not a jeep mechanic.
Me, I have had the stuck steering issue and the turn the wheel and the jeep goes straight issues many times.

So, although the jeep is under warranty, they cant (or will not) fix it or own up to the issues, so i am completely changing out the steering system two a performance steering system with all the bells and whistles.

Bottom line - its a love/hate thing - I hate that F#@KING FCA because they do not own up to the issues, but love the jeep because it is a lot of fun (when you can steer it). it will cost me about 3k for the upgrade, but the steering issues will be gone and i will have piece of mind and great fun.
Sponsored