my 2018 has a death wobble need help to fix the problem

First Name
charlton
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl unlimited rubicon
i own a 2018 rubicon with 57000 on the odometer and its developed a death wobble all the usual suspects have been checked the dealer wanted to change the steering dampner its already been replaced with the recall does anybody else have this problem and how did you fix it i would sure hate to scrap this thing now balance and tire rotation done so its not the tires
Advertisement

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
i own a 2018 rubicon with 57000 on the odometer and its developed a death wobble all the usual suspects have been checked the dealer wanted to change the steering dampner its already been replaced with the recall does anybody else have this problem and how did you fix it i would sure hate to scrap this thing now balance and tire rotation done so its not the tires
I think “All the usual suspects” need to be checked again.…… my first guess with that many miles is the ball joints. But if it’s all stock, then it could be bushings as well (track bar, control arms). 99.9 percent of the time I fix DW, the problem is in one of these places. Remember, just because something feels tight to you, it’s not necessarily tight under the force a 2 ton rig, in other words, a tiny bit of movement is a lot.

Rover72

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover
Has to be something in the front end or suspension. Should be easy to find once up on a lift by any master mechanic.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
My TJ developed a nasty shudder in the front end at highway speed. I hadn't corrected the alignment after a slight increase in tire size, and the tires were wearing unevenly. New tires and an alignment and she ran smooth as silk, again.

John VonJeep

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Check ball joints. Check torque on track bar (125 lbs, IIRC). Check bushings. Work your way through the suspension, looking for worn components (and wallowed-out holes) or things that aren't properly torqued.

Biggest thing is to get it handled quickly. DW can worm its way into other components if not addressed. A steering damper will just mask any problems and let them get worse.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
If you haven't changed anything recently, it is likely to be some worn parts.

Ask someone to sit in the Jeep and move the steering wheel from side to side. Check the components listed by the previous posters. Do you see any up and down movements? Are there any gaps?

Watch the first 30 seconds of this video.

sourdough

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
wanderer
Vehicle Showcase
Steering damper is a wear item, inexpensive and easy to change out. Just because it has been replaced does not mean it isn't worn out again. How many miles are on the new unit ?

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Mine did this with 27k miles. Sent it to the dealer, they replaced the damper, which had been replaced once before. The OEM part is by no means durable.

Pete

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe
Steering damper is a wear item, inexpensive and easy to change out. Just because it has been replaced does not mean it isn't worn out again. How many miles are on the new unit ?
Definitely an inexpensive replacement, but at best it's a band-aid.

OP, just to confirm, by DW, you mean you were scary uncontrollable at speed, right?

By the sta
I have seen reports of some dealers installing the damper upside down.

What next???

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-2-inch-lift-reviews.81739/page-2
If only FCA would have made it clear how to orient the stabilizer in the recall... oh wait they did:
1636469381375.png

sourdough

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
wanderer
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely an inexpensive replacement, but at best it's a band-aid.
A lot of well meaning folks say that.
Over 50+ years I have had a few S.S. wear out and replaced them without further issue. A steering wooble isn't alway something other than a worn S.S.The OP reported no other part issues and the dealer recommended a S.S. haha, Sometimes the service folks are right.
They do come on a new rigs BTW. So if you believe they just mask issues, are you saying all venicles with a factory S.S. are masking issues.

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Steering damper is not going to cause death wobble, or anything for that matter. Yes a new one might tighten things up for a short time but it would just be masking a bigger issue. I diagnose problems with the damper removed for this very reason.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe
A lot of well meaning folks say that.
Over 50+ years I have had a few S.S. wear out and replaced them without further issue. A steering wooble isn't alway something other than a worn S.S.The OP reported no other part issues and the dealer recommended a S.S. haha, Sometimes the service folks are right.
They do come on a new rigs BTW. So if you believe they just mask issues, are you saying all venicles with a factory S.S. are masking issues.
I actually meant to delete that post earlier, must have autosaved.

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose and insulate you from experiencing the impacts of the road on the steering system, but full on Death Wobble is normally induced by an actual issue with the track bar or steering system, either the axle moving left/right due to the track bar, or enough play in the steering components to allow the wheels to turn without steering input.

sourdough

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
wanderer
Vehicle Showcase
Steering damper is not going to cause death wobble, or anything for that matter. Yes a new one might tighten things up for a short time but it would just be masking a bigger issue. I diagnose problems with the damper removed for this very reason.
who said it causes D.W. It does not cause D.W. It does dampen a wooble and keeps it from developing into a full blown DW.

sourdough

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
wanderer
Vehicle Showcase
I actually meant to delete that post earlier, must have autosaved.

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose and insulate you from experiencing the impacts of the road on the steering system, but full on Death Wobble is normally induced by an actual issue with the track bar or steering system, either the axle moving left/right due to the track bar, or enough play in the steering components to allow the wheels to turn without steering input.
When my past solid front axle 4x4's started to get a wobble and they all seem to eventually in my experience, if all the steering links where good, a new S.S. solved the wobble. My fathers Chrysler New Yorker (Inherited)would get the craziest D.W. I have ever experienced. Junked that P.O.S.
My JLR got a full steering linkage upgrade when I went to 37" tires. It never did or has had a wobble. Stock aluminum steering box and ball joints to date.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement