My 2.0 rattle journey

OP
OP

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Stelvio, Tahoe, '56 Ford
Update: Dealership replaced the timing chain tensioners and I picked it up yesterday. This definitely seems to have fixed the problem. Very glad it wasn't something deeper in the valvetrain, as they initially worried might be the case. Without the metallic racket, this motor actually sounds pretty good! And, my butt dyno swears the throttle response is slightly improved.

The final bit of advice the service rep gave me: Use whatever approved brand of oil that meets our spec you want, but use Mopar-brand filters with this motor. I have only ever used the highest end of street brand filters (KN, Mobil1, Purolater) but at least for the duration of my factory warranty, I might consider doing this.

Thanks to everyone for being part of this ride and weighing in. Hopefully this is case closed!
Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The final bit of advice the service rep gave me: Use whatever approved brand of oil that meets our spec you want, but use Mopar-brand filters with this motor. I have only ever used the highest end of street brand filters (KN, Mobil1, Purolater) but at least for the duration of my factory warranty, I might consider doing this.
Just so you know, this company is taking over the filter industry. So, if you buy by brand name, look who makes it and then ask yourself, " Do they just private label filters, run them down the same line and thus, I'm just paying for marketing?" As a manufacturing engineer over the years, I would say yes. On the other hand, people will want to believe the marketing as it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside. Just like batteries. We have a plant about 30 miles away that private labels batteries from everything from cheap to high end. Yet they just run down the same assembly line with the same specs.

Most likely, your filter was made in Gastonia NC by this place. https://www.mann-hummel.com/en.html

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Question, was this rattle during a cold start or when warmed up? Mine has a rattle when cold for the first few miles until I assume oil makes its way around, and then rattles on warm start if I let the jeep sit for 15-20 minutes, and then goes away relatively quick.

OP
OP

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Stelvio, Tahoe, '56 Ford
Question, was this rattle during a cold start or when warmed up? Mine has a rattle when cold for the first few miles until I assume oil makes its way around, and then rattles on warm start if I let the jeep sit for 15-20 minutes, and then goes away relatively quick.
Rattle was generally at all times, but very noticeable when cold.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Rattle was generally at all times, but very noticeable when cold.
Thanks. I think i’m good then, I’ll be keeping an eye on mine knowing yours was fixed with new tensioners.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Does any 2.0 owner honestly have a silent engine? Everyone I heard sounds like a sewing machine...

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Does any 2.0 owner honestly have a silent engine? Everyone I heard sounds like a sewing machine...
The diesel does the same, the 392 also. they all have quirks. top down, music up, can you even hear the engine? Waht bothered me the most when I had a willy edition gladiator was the sound the MTs made.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Just so you know, this company is taking over the filter industry. So, if you buy by brand name, look who makes it and then ask yourself, " Do they just private label filters, run them down the same line and thus, I'm just paying for marketing?" As a manufacturing engineer over the years, I would say yes. On the other hand, people will want to believe the marketing as it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside. Just like batteries. We have a plant about 30 miles away that private labels batteries from everything from cheap to high end. Yet they just run down the same assembly line with the same specs.

Most likely, your filter was made in Gastonia NC by this place. https://www.mann-hummel.com/en.html
Yeah, I quit worrying so much about what who makes a filter anymore because it’s an ever changing landscape of relabeled product.

What I do care about when a warranty is in effect, is who warrantees the filter. Which for me is going to be OEM. Avoids the potential for finger pointing and trying to kick a warranty claim into someone else’s corner.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yeah, I quit worrying so much about what who makes a filter anymore because it’s an ever changing landscape of relabeled product.

What I do care about when a warranty is in effect, is who warrantees the filter. Which for me is going to be OEM. Avoids the potential for finger pointing and trying to kick a warranty claim into someone else’s corner.
This is why you also only need to go to the dealer and never modify the vehicle whatsoever until the warranty is up. For example, put a lift kit on your Jeep, they will probably reject the warranty if the AC compressor goes out. I'm waiting for a filter related issue as I change lots of oil on cars still under warranty and do not use the OEM filter. When that happens, I'll let everyone know.

I also will be the test case for everyone as I just changed my oil at work and used a NAPA branded filter (made by Mann+Hummell).

Sponsored

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
I have a 2021 4xe (same 2.0) currently at the dealer getting a timing chain tensioner for what sounds like the same noise. It’s reassuring hearing that fixed yours.

Dr. O)lllll(O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Update: Dealership replaced the timing chain tensioners and I picked it up yesterday. This definitely seems to have fixed the problem. Very glad it wasn't something deeper in the valvetrain, as they initially worried might be the case. Without the metallic racket, this motor actually sounds pretty good! And, my butt dyno swears the throttle response is slightly improved.

Thanks to everyone for being part of this ride and weighing in. Hopefully this is case closed!
Can I ask how much they charged to replace those? I seem to be having the same issue, and my dealer just gave me a quote for $4500

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Can I ask how much they charged to replace those? I seem to be having the same issue, and my dealer just gave me a quote for $4500
Wow. At that price, if it’s not too deep in, it might be worth buying the service manual and tools.

JC1973

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys

Similar issue here. Just picked up a 21 Willys 2.0 three weeks ago. Went into the dealer Tuesdayafter hearing the sound since I had it. ( Was away for ten days) They acknowledge it's not normal and took a day and half to pinpoint it as the timing chain tensioner.

Telling me there need to order parts and essentially rebuild the engine. Timing will depend on parts availability. Then a few days to rebuild.

Shit happens but they sold this to me used certified three weeks ago. It made the sound coming out of the lot which was sporadic so I didn't really notice full until I got home and drove locally in a quiet area . It makes me question to whole certification process..... At least its still under warranty for 5 more months.

Question for OP and anyone else. Should I be concerned with the "engine rebuild" process?
Sponsored