Sponsored

My 2.0 rattle journey

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Stelvio, Tahoe, '56 Ford
Hi Everyone,
I have a '21 JLUR 2.0 that, while it's always been noisy, has started to make some more noticeable and alarrming sounds over the last month. Specifically, when cold especially and then even when warm during acceleration, from about 1800-2200RPM there is a very pronounced metallic rattle. Anyway, finally took it into the dealer this week after my wife finally asked what that awful sound was!

The tech was able to reproduce the sound. That's the good news. Now, they are probing me to see if I used the wrong oil and are making me jump through some hoops to essentially prove that I didn't. FYI, I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I shared with then the language from the Pennzoil site showing that it is SP and GF-6 certified, as well as the language from the owner's manual saying this is exactly what to use.

I was able to pry out of them that the tech believes the sound is emanating from the top of the engine. He also noted that initial thought is it's valvetrain-related. No mention of the turbo.

Anyway, that's where things are. Hopefully they accept that I used the right oil (because I did). I get why they are asking, which is fine though.

Will provide updates. Hope this is a short thread!
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Good luck, thanks for sharing your experience.

I am always careful about oils and filters during warranty periods. When I did mine I used Castrol because it was one of only two in the store with the MS-13340 as well as SP on the label.

How many miles on your engine?

OP
OP

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, @Jim1964 . About 10,600 miles.

Latest is: Dealership first insisted that I produce a physical receipt showing the oil purchase. I offered to bring in the empty jug, but they said no, only a receipt. Which is a giant pile of 💩 and legally questionable.

But I did find the receipt too, and now they say they want to perform their own oil change to see if that corrects the problem. I reluctantly said yes to this.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.

Latest is: Dealership first insisted that I produce a physical receipt showing the oil purchase. I offered to bring in the empty jug, but they said no, only a receipt. Which is a giant pile of 💩 and legally questionable.

But I did find the receipt too, and now they say they want to perform their own oil change to see if that corrects the problem. I reluctantly said yes to this.
I suggest that you look for a different Dealer. Pennzoil Platinum per test results, is one of the best engine oils available. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in both of our 3.6 engines. If anything, that oil helps to quiet down valve train noise.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Food for thought: you may want to think about buying oil/filters at Amazon. They have a complete record (easily searchable) of EVERY purchase I've made since 1999.

Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Make sure they provide you with the receipt.

Also, make sure they don't throw some heavier weight oil in there to try and take care of the problem that way.

OP
OP

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Dealer completed their own oil change and took it for a drive. From what they're telling me, it sounds like the original metal-on-metal rattle that I brought it in for is better (how much I'm not sure) but now the tech is hearing something else that sounds more like metal on plastic. The word "thump" was used.

So, they are going to start tearing into the motor. The first thing suspected, based on this new noise, is timing chain guide, so that's where they're going to start. They have isolated it to internal to the engine and not the turbo.

Reactions from the group?

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My previous vehicle was a 2013 VW Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI, direct injection, turbo 4. Two known issues on that engine was a timing chain tensioner that was prone to loosening up, and the wastegate on the turbo going bad. I dealt with both problems on mine. The tensioner was replaced under warranty, but I had to pony up for a new turbo.

This is anecdotal, but the tensioner problem were exacerbated by longer intervals between oil changes, and the wastegate went bad if you didn't give the turbo about 30 seconds to get oil running through it when starting and time to spool down when turning off.

I'm bring this up because those would be the first two things I'd look for if I heard the sound you're describing.

Again, anecdotal... I wish you luck. Hope it's something else...

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Sounds like they are taking appropriate action. I think the claim that the noise has changed as a result of an oil change is not credible, unless the filter was clogged or had a bad bypass valve affecting oil pressure. More likely it is just the placebo effect if they really believe it; or an attempt to throw some shade on your oil change. Engine noises can vary a lot anyway, depending on temperatures and operating conditions.

Speaking of filters, I would expect them to cut open the one just removed and inspect for fragments. In your position I would probably remain silent and not suggest this course of action if they don’t initiate it. Reason being if they can find -or invent- a filter defect then your warranty will be toast, unless it’s a Mopar filter? They will tell you to pay the bill and take it up with the filter maker.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Good call on letting them change the oil. Now it's their baby, and they are actually doing something to correct it

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Changing the oil and filter is the 1% when it comes to solutions. It's cheap and easy to do thus they go after that first. In the end, you need to remember, cars are mass produced and when it comes to engines (since they use the engine in more that one model) they are mega mass produced. With the thousands of parts in them, you cannot realistically expect that they will all work in unison and all be the same. Thus, people get a dud part or the stacking of tolerances results in a noisy engine.

I'm guessing but I bet they have an idea of what it is as they can see the trends on complaints and problems vs the frequency.

OP
OP

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sincere thanks to everyone who has weighed in.

Update: The dealer has ordered a replacement pair of hydraulic timing chain tensioners. Unclear if there were any visible signs of wear, but that's where they're going next.

As an aside, the first loaner Compass they gave me turned out to be, no joke, out of oil. I somehow got it home, but then it would just stall when I went to drive it again. They had someone drive a new one down to me to swap out, and he made it less than a mile from my house on his way back before it died. The replacement loaner smelled like Snoop Dog hosted a party inside it the day before, so they swapped that one out again. On my third loaner already!

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
My previous vehicle was a 2013 VW Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI, direct injection, turbo 4. Two known issues on that engine was a timing chain tensioner that was prone to loosening up, and the wastegate on the turbo going bad. I dealt with both problems on mine. The tensioner was replaced under warranty, but I had to pony up for a new turbo.

This is anecdotal, but the tensioner problem were exacerbated by longer intervals between oil changes, and the wastegate went bad if you didn't give the turbo about 30 seconds to get oil running through it when starting and time to spool down when turning off.

I'm bring this up because those would be the first two things I'd look for if I heard the sound you're describing.

Again, anecdotal... I wish you luck. Hope it's something else...
How was it leaving the Tigusn and going into the wrangler? I'll be leaving my 17 tiguan for my jl once it arrives in a few more weeks

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This highlights the importance of keeping oil change receipts when doing your own. You SAYING that you did use the correct oil and filter, at the recommended intervals, is not proof that you did. The receipts, dated, with mileage and vin#, are proof. The legal system is built on what you can PROVE, not what you SAY.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
How was it leaving the Tigusn and going into the wrangler? I'll be leaving my 17 tiguan for my jl once it arrives in a few more weeks
A lot better than expected. My Tiguan had the Stage 1 tune and Michelin Super Sport all seasons (and X-Ice for the winter)... and I drove it aggressively. I was scared that the Jeep was going to be a wobbily American brick. The Wrangler has been a lot of fun to drive. The 2.0 has plenty of power, and the handling is a lot more stable than I thought it would be. I'm a little bit more careful in the Wrangler in curves, but I'm learning it's limits.
Sponsored