Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
@TheMike...What airbags did you go with? I’m shopping for them.
With my research at the time, THESE were the one's others have used. They worked. If I could really take my time and research further, I would have liked to have the bags a little taller. These got it almost level but not quite.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi Mike,

I hope that all is well in Alaska.

I'm thinking about a camping trailer, and came across your story. Just to confirm: You towed a trailer weighting 4600 lbs for almost 3300 miles, correct? Did you see any adverse effects on the jeep?

Thanks!

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Went to grad school there. Reminds me of my first trip to Juneau... January 4, 1994 from NJ, crossed into Canada at Minot. WInter in the northern rockies and on the Alcan is a special time. My truck froze overnight in Fort St. John. The local boys didn't believe me that there was no plug for an oil pan heater. Spent 3 hours in a garage with propane heaters under the engine. ... ahh the good ole days.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
FWIW, the JLU platform is rated for 5000lb towing in places like Germany and Australia which enforce a 100km/hr towing speed limit and trailer brake requirements. Keep it under 63mph and use brakes, there should be zero mechanical or control issues under 5000lbs. Our lower towing numbers in the US are based on a chassis preventing a decaying oscillation and braking without assist at/from the highest posted speed limit which is 85mph.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Great story OP! I’m doing a similar trip. Just purchased a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0T and also recently picked up an enclosed trailer, 5 x 8 with a dry weight of 700 lbs. I only plan to add 1000-1200 lbs though and will do my best to keep the tongue weight under 350. Hoping to keep the total trailer weight under 2k. I’ll be driving 1700 miles and was a bit worried about the trip and long term effects. Seems these things can tow and so I’m now feeling a bit better after reading your story.

FB684420-F8E5-4FEE-8488-F892E6391F0A.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Great story OP! I’m doing a similar trip. Just purchased a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0T and also recently picked up an enclosed trailer, 5 x 8 with a dry weight of 700 lbs. I only plan to add 1000-1200 lbs though and will do my best to keep the tongue weight under 350. Hoping to keep the total trailer weight under 2k. I’ll be driving 1700 miles and was a bit worried about the trip and long term effects. Seems these things can tow and so I’m now feeling a bit better after reading your story.

FB684420-F8E5-4FEE-8488-F892E6391F0A.jpeg
You won't have any problems with the Jeep. As you're single axle, you probably don't have trailer brakes. Mine didn't either until I added them. Well worth that money spent especially as I sold both trailers for more than what I had in them. So....free use and even made a few bucks up here. Everything is a little more expensive in Alaska. Shipping is a PITA!! If you aren't heavy I wouldn't worry about a thing. Just keep the trailer tires at their max pressure no matter and giddy-up!

Now if I can just sell my LJ now. I've ordered a 392!! The only one allocated to my local dealership and based on the time my order was placed I'm sure I'll be the first in Alaska.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
You won't have any problems with the Jeep. As you're single axle, you probably don't have trailer brakes. Mine didn't either until I added them. Well worth that money spent especially as I sold both trailers for more than what I had in them. So....free use and even made a few bucks up here. Everything is a little more expensive in Alaska. Shipping is a PITA!! If you aren't heavy I wouldn't worry about a thing. Just keep the trailer tires at their max pressure no matter and giddy-up!

Now if I can just sell my LJ now. I've ordered a 392!! The only one allocated to my local dealership and based on the time my order was placed I'm sure I'll be the first in Alaska.
Nice, congrats on that! Yeah I weighed my trailer and it’s at 1440 lbs total so I should be fine without brakes. Start my journey Saturday so I’ll really know how it goes then. I’ll check my trailer tires before I hit the road and then hope for the best.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Nice, congrats on that! Yeah I weighed my trailer and it’s at 1440 lbs total so I should be fine without brakes. Start my journey Saturday so I’ll really know how it goes then. I’ll check my trailer tires before I hit the road and then hope for the best.
Good luck!!! You’ll be pleasantly surprised how well that 2.0 does!

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
To close this chapter and perhaps this thread, I just sold that Punkń Rubicon because I have ordered the new 392! Unfortunately, FCA was either wrong or lied about the available colors. Punkń was NOT available so I went Red.

The JL has been absolutely perfect since day one. I've only put 22,800 miles on it total, to include quite a bit of off road excitement. She has served me well. Now on to a factory version of what I used to build...a Hemi Wrangler. Can't wait!!
Sponsored