Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
I have to agree! I now have both of them.:rock:
Me too. I almost bought the 2nd gen 1/4" ratchet but came to my senses and just got a 3/8-to-1/4 adapter. I think the 1st gen 3/8 has more torque than the 2nd gen 1/4.
Sponsored

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
The main thing really is toolbox like Steven says. Then just buy things as you need them. .......
Excellent advice. Many many moons ago I was helping a friend replace the distributor on his Cutlass (some of you may need to Google both of those terms.) when he dropped the clamp bolt and yes, it went straight into the distributor shaft hole in the block. I got a flashlight and shined it down expecting to see nothing, but there it was, sitting on the ledge that supports the distributor gear. "Don't move." I commanded. We went to the auto parts store. I still have that magnetic extension and have used it many times since. :)

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
For starting out you can do pretty well with a smaller socket set, couple of screwdrivers, trim panel removal, and some wrenches. and a hammer - don't forget the hammer.

So far I've installed atlas steps on my hinges, and replaced my bumper with a DV8 and a winch.

I have found that for the hinges, I COULD use the (included) T-50 hex, or I could pick up a socket-T50 at Lowes for $2. the socket with the T-50 was a huge, huge improvement and made taking the bolts out of the door hinges easy.

I have a 180pc craftsman socket set; comes in the plastic box with everything labeled. has some deep sockets, some metric and u.s., allen wrenches, 3 sizes of ratchets, couple extensions. I was able to do everything with the bumper with that set and the trim panel tools I picked up at HF.

I also agree with the above comment - buy stuff at HF the chinese can't mess up - trim removal tools are a perfect example.

Really - I would think about the first 2-3 projects you're going to do - and get tools as you go. for me I knew I was tackling a bumper / winch, but my wife had given me a socket set at christmas so I was good. Unless you're installing a lift kit / dropping a transmission / someotherbigproject, a smaller tool set is great for starting out and not as expensive.

a large tool box is nice, but I'm waiting on having tools that no longer stay contained in a small tub before going with one; they take up a good chunk of space, and if you only have a few tools you fill one drawer. I definitely like the HF recommendation though - I look at those every time I'm in there.

oh a soldering iron. I built the wiring harness for my LED fog lights transferring over - had to pick one of those up. and a heat gun for shrink wrap, although you can use a lighter

I think I'd like an impact wrench set but I'm stupid on those so no advice there.

start small, think of your projects you want to do first, and go from there. that way you don't spend $5k at once

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Now that we are clear on the importance of the hammer .
If I think what are the tools I use the most: ratchet and wrench set, cordless Milwaukee drill/screw driver, locking pliers and the impact wrench. With several cars I am rotating and exchanging tires all the time ( summer- winter)
But I emphasize the importance of the tool box. It doesn’t have to be chest of drawers, but it is important to have the things organized or you’ll never find what you need when you need it.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I need a new torque wrench. My old dial-types are getting pretty old and probably out of calibration. I want a click-type anyway so I can torque without having to bend my head under the wrench.

I'm going to get one from a big store so I can just exchange it whenever it breaks or goes out of cal. I have a decent 0-100 ft-lb so I'll be picking up a 250 ft-lb with for 1/2 inch sockets. But Kobalt, Husky, or whatever? That is the questionnnnnnnn.

OP
OP

Smoot

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2016 JKUR
Thanks for the advice y'all. Looks like I need to pick up a good socket set, a tool box and obviously a hammer.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
I finally moved into my first house with a garage and now looking to start my tool set. What do you all recommend getting to be able to just about do everything on our JLs? We can't wait to start working on our Black JLUR.
All metric up to 24”, along with sockets and A battery operated ratchet up to 60 pounds torque. And of course a torque wrench. It’s all on Amazon have fun shopping

Sponsored

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Torx set

Everything else you probably have......

Doc

Rubicon29527

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
Look at a brass hammer too. Allows you to bang the shit out of stuff w/o doing to much, if any, damage. My step-brother got his dad's when when his father passed away a few years back. I haven't gotten a new one yet but have been meaning too. It was probably one of the best unknown tools in our garage growing up while we rebuilt older cars and a race car or three.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I use the quick disconnects on hard top and didnt reinstall the bolts on the doors. The doors arent going anywhere so why take bolts in and out
What are these quick disconnects???
Sponsored