Sponsored

Must have tools for Jeep JL

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Point-counter-Point... Jane, you ignorant slut. :)
Love that line’ “Jane you ignorant slut... it’s no account mattress-backs like yourself that continue...”

My mom and wife bought me the big Dewalt tool box at Home Depot a few Christmases ago, and it’s been great. No matter how big the box seems it will eventually be too small, as you’ll start to accumulate bigger tools, including air tools which can take Up a lot of space. If you’re teetering on a decision point, go bigger. Nobody wishes they had a smaller box.

Also, good tools are expensive, but you can save, as others have suggested, by buying the biggest bulk sets. EBay is a good source for those, but verify the seller.

i don’t know Harbor Freight tool boxes, but most of their stuff is Chinese — fine for light-duty, one time use, but a bad plan for tools you’ll need forever. “Cry once, buy once” really applies to wrench and socket sets. Also, you can occasionally find amazing deals on top-tier tools like Mac and Snap On in pawn shops, so it’s worth a look if you’re passing by.

Finally, some of the poorly built stuff at Harbor Freight, like blast cabinets and solvent tanks, can be modified into decent stuff without spending a lot of money. Lots of YouTube direction on that.
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
A good 1/2 " drive impact tool, a good 1/4" impact nut driver and a good hammer drill make many jobs much easier, I have Milwaukee Fuel M18 for all the above and have used them many times.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I carry a very good selection of tools with me when I Jeep travel. I have not had to use them yet for my Jeep, but while out wheeling 600 miles from home over the last weekend, Two different people used my 1/2 impact gun and tools while out on the trail.

fjernen

First Name
Eran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
1/2 inch breaker bar with the appropriate sized socket to take off your lug nuts. I have a 25 inch long Craftsman I have carried since my first jeeps flat tire in 1993.

Sponsored

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Steveo is right about the toolbox but don't touch that one from Costco. Many of the toolboxes from them do not have a boxed frame or just use angle iron. However his mention of Harbor Freight is spot on. The 44" General uses C-channel steel for its base and it's rock solid for the money. It is also expandable with add on components. It's weakest point is the caster wheels. However most people don't move them around in their home garage and you could always buy some higher quality casters. The 56" cabinet is also fantastic but it's overkill for most people. Go do a search on these on the tool forums of GarageJournal.com and you'll see for yourself that most people think highly of this VERY affordable tool cabinet.

44 in. x 22 In. Double Bank Red Roller Cabinet
56 in. x 22 In. Double Bank Red Roller Cabinet
Or just take the wheels off
Jeep Wrangler JL Must have tools for Jeep JL sho

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Or just take the wheels off
Jeep Wrangler JL Must have tools for Jeep JL sho
Yup. I’ve seen others do that too. For the price, HF has some pretty good tool cabinets.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
The Milwaukee m12 1/2” right angle impact is my new favorite tool! I’ve used this on the Jeep and farm equipment. It works well in tight spots and on medium size bolts but it doesn’t replace a standard 1/2” impact, I still use my standard for removing lugs. The right angle impact has three torque settings and a bolt removal mode, which is full torque and slows down without a load when removing bolts. I also have their standard m12 ratchet but I prefer this tool, far less effort to use.
29D5BECD-6F9A-4EE9-B200-E5CE1C90D299.jpeg
EAD1B519-3ABD-4399-B1B3-9DE20B4C6386.jpeg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The Milwaukee m12 1/2” right angle impact is my new favorite tool! I’ve used this on the Jeep and farm equipment. It works well in tight spots and on medium size bolts but it doesn’t replace a standard 1/2” impact, I still use my standard for removing lugs. The right angle impact has three torque settings and a bolt removal mode, which is full torque and slows down without a load when removing bolts. I also have their standard m12 ratchet but I prefer this tool, far less effort to use.
Jeep Wrangler JL Must have tools for Jeep JL EAD1B519-3ABD-4399-B1B3-9DE20B4C6386
Jeep Wrangler JL Must have tools for Jeep JL EAD1B519-3ABD-4399-B1B3-9DE20B4C6386
I have thought about adding this tool for a while.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I have thought about adding this tool for a while.
It’s more of a ratchet replacement than it is an impact replacement (doesn’t ratchet though). I really didn’t think I would use it as much as I do but it’s perfect for quick disassembly and reassembly when you plan on torquing everything down anyway. It doesn’t have the “kick back” effect of the m12 ratchet and is pretty light compared to the standard impact. I would go with the 1/2” over the 3/8” size. Removing lower control arm bolts are about max for the 1/2” size.
Sponsored