Must have tools for Jeep JL

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
1. Like others said, the tool box, plus socket set. Back in the day, sears used to see complete craftsman sets that were the bee's knees. I guess the quality level is a lot less now though.
2. Make a sturdy work table. Maybe even a fold down one to increase space in the garage when not in use. Easy and cheap to make. Much better than what can be had in a build center.
3. My favorite thing is my Max PowerLite high pressure air compressor. They are out of Japan. They go up to around 500 PSI. You can run a tiny nailgun that will shoot massive nails though your house, the neighbors house and the school across the street. Has a normal pressure line as well, then run a reducer for paint guns, impact guns and all that. Plus, super quite. Normal speaking voice level.
4. Good set of ramps (home made).
5. Big ass floor jack and high quality stands. It never makes sense to skimp on items that will kill you should they fail.
6. Floor lift. ;) I don't have that, but one of my garage bays has a hole in the middle so you can stand up there and work under your car.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Don't forget some good rubber wheel chocks. They're cheap and don't slide around when you jack one end of the vehicle.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The main beam has two side tubes that slide out.
I recently picked this up along with a low-profile Daytona jack from Harbor Freight, but the saddle isn't removable so the cross-beam isn't compatible. I swapped it for a Pittsburgh. Thank you for the mention of this.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Agree. My AAA membership has paid for itself 100 times over in 20 years.

And the hammers are critical.
1 deadblow
1 small ball-peen
1 small sledge
1 BFH

Sponsored

Gatorhead96

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu
I saw mention of SAE tools earlier, just to clarify, are there any SAE fasteners on the JL? My Jeep toolkit is filled with all metric/torx/hex in just about every size, but I didn't plan on SAE because I haven't run into it yet while doing work on the Jeep.
A lot of aftermarket companies use sae so you would need both.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I can’t believe no one has mentioned ratcheting wrenches. Those things have saved my sanity many times over. Gear wrench brand works great, klutch from Northern Tool does too.

An OBD2 code reader is a must for any toolbox.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i used to do everything by hand.... then i decided to buy a half inch milwaukee impact gun. i never plan on loosening a lug nut again by hand. absolutely love this thing makes doing a 5 tire rotation a walk in the park.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
36mm socket so you can remove the front axle spindle nut

SAE and Metric allen wrenches/sockets

Large adjustable wrench, for those times when your wrenches aren't big enough or you upgrade your suspension and you have to deal with jam nuts

Large and small C-clamps. Useful for holding stuff and definitely needed to push the the caliper pistons back into their bores when doing your brakes

Selection of 2x4's, 2x6's, etc.....used for cribbing when your floor jack won't go high enough to lift the frame, to use between the c-clamp and caliper, to use as a base when you solder wires (especially when you do soldering inside the Jeep), etc.

different diameter and height funnels, fluid pans, and storage containers to transport old fluid

some kind of fluid transfer pump. I have a suction style pump and use it to remove brake fluid from master cylinder, to put diff oil in, etc.

flare nut wrenches - used for brake bleeder valves, power steering fittings, etc. Normal wrenches on these type of fittings will cause the nuts to round off, necessitating replacement of hard lines

blue and red loc-tite, nickel based anti-seize, disc brake lube (I like Syl-Glide), some RTV silicone, assortment of penetrating spray (PB Blaster, WD-40, etc), lubricants (white lithium, moly based grease, etc), and fuel safe thread sealant

grease gun(s) with appropriate grease for your parts. I have two: a small and large grease gun. The small has the grease for my suspension joints and large has the grease for all of my steering joints.

buy, steal, save all extraneous bolts, nuts, washers, etc......you'll never know when you find yourself in the middle of a project and need something in the middle of the night. Speaking of which, I like to keep a selection of hose clamps, various tubing (fuel and vacuum), electrical tape and wire, heat-shrink tubing, etc.

Like others have said, buy as you go along. Shop garage sales to find good tools at cheap prices. NEVER throw away things which you can use to fix something in the future. Couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I had a part, nut/bolt, etc. laying around which I used to help a project move along. I have bins of stuff I keep just to repurpose.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
"Auto trim panel removal tools. I prefer nylon over metal."

I second this. You can get a decent set at Harbor Freight. This is the only way to ensure you don't scratch up your panels.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wouldn’t want to keep a lithium ion based battery in my Jeep permanently. Only because it’s gonna hit some extreme heat and cold spells through the seasons. This is also mainly why I don’t keep my tool batteries or really any batteries in the garage.
Gees never thought of that but makes sense. I have all my tool batteries on the chargers in the garage, but where else can I put them? ..... Yikes

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
Make sure your hammer is big enough.
Air compressor and air tools make your day a lot easier.

PXL_20201026_123507113.jpg
Sponsored