Must have tools for Jeep JL

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Thanks for the advice y'all. Looks like I need to pick up a good socket set, a tool box and obviously a hammer.
You got it:like:the other thing nobody has mentioned and most important is to get a good friend with a garage and lots of tools. Then you are set.
Sponsored

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I keep on of these in my glovebox: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-4-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Screwdriver-Kit-HP54L/205545276

Makes taking the hard top and doors off super fast. One charge lasts for about a dozen on and offs each.
I wouldn’t want to keep a lithium ion based battery in my Jeep permanently. Only because it’s gonna hit some extreme heat and cold spells through the seasons. This is also mainly why I don’t keep my tool batteries or really any batteries in the garage.

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
I need a new torque wrench. My old dial-types are getting pretty old and probably out of calibration. I want a click-type anyway so I can torque without having to bend my head under the wrench.

I'm going to get one from a big store so I can just exchange it whenever it breaks or goes out of cal. I have a decent 0-100 ft-lb so I'll be picking up a 250 ft-lb with for 1/2 inch sockets. But Kobalt, Husky, or whatever? That is the questionnnnnnnn.
For those still looking for a torque wrench. HF's Icon 1/2" Torque Wrench is <1/3 the cost of a Snap-On. Reviewed on YouTube beating out the Snap-On wrench in calibration and repeat ability. HF has come along way. https://goo.gl/vxMCPM

Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
HF is good for a lot of things... except screwdrivers. Buy a decent set of screwdrivers.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Last edited:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one of the cross beams for my floor jack. This provides 6-8" more height on the jack and has pads to pick up frame, crossmember etc..
Where would you set this to lift the Jeep? It's not long enough to reach the jack points.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Where would you set this to lift the Jeep? It's not long enough to reach the jack points.
The main beam has two side tubes that slide out.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I suggest Precision Instruments split-beam torque wrenches. Click style, but don't need to be unloaded before storage like the spring type. They'll hold calibration a lot longer, the only downside is the click at the low end of the range isn't as strong as some might like. That said, you should have a few different torque wrenches so you're not at the high or low end of any wrench.

http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/C.php

Electronic wrenches are great (I have a few high end torque angle wrenches) but they frustrate me more often than the mechanical kind. None of them work well with NiMH batteries, and leaving alkaline batteries in very expensive tools that sit around outside in heat and cold equates to leakage I don't want to deal with.

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Great advice on here.

Would also recommend getting some spare loose 10mm sockets in regular and deep. The WILL disappear.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I saw mention of SAE tools earlier, just to clarify, are there any SAE fasteners on the JL? My Jeep toolkit is filled with all metric/torx/hex in just about every size, but I didn't plan on SAE because I haven't run into it yet while doing work on the Jeep.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Lots of good ideas here. What’s your tool budget? You could spend as much on tools as you did on your Jeep.

I’d suggest the basics. Socket/ratchet set, decent screw driver set, torx set, good set of large med small channel locks, decent floor jack/stands, a decent set of LED work lights. Then when you do an install, buy whatever tools you need for that job (specialty sized sockets/wrenches impact gun) don’t buy a bunch of stuff you might need. It’ll probably just sit around and never get used.
Sponsored