Must be a Jeep Thing!

Lizzy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Rubicon
The wife has a firecracker Sahara loaded and after about 9,000 miles the ESS light came on and disabled the system.We took it to the Dodge dealership and the mechanic found out it was the door mechanism in the drivers door that had to be replaced.The mechanic said it must have shown the door was open so that disengaged the ESS.Another note worth mentioning is when this was happening the transmission would not shift into gear until she closed the door a few times.A catch and miss situation if you will.They replaced the part and now 20.000 miles no problems at all.Happy motoring!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gray Fox

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
Just an update on my Jeep’s issues. I took it to the dealer last Friday.

As for as the ESS issue, they said the battery had a bad cell and shut off the ESS. Battery was replaced and so far, so good.

Apple car play issue. I was told the issue was because I wasn’t using the Chrysler supplied cable. The repair manual says to use it. Anyone get a Chrysler factory Apple cable with their Jeep? BTW, Car play didn’t work today with an Apple brand cable.

Backup camera lines. First the service advisor told me that we need to turn the lines on. I am not that stupid.... They told me the issue was I was using it in the “active” mode. They put it in the straight line mode and told me I wouldn’t have any more problems. They said that passive mode looks for lines on the pavement. I asked why when we backed out of our garage the lines would work if it needed to see parking spaces. They told me it wasn’t working when it didn’t have lines so i guess i must be seeing things. I put it back in active mode.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update on my Jeep’s issues. I took it to the dealer last Friday.

As for as the ESS issue, they said the battery had a bad cell and shut off the ESS. Battery was replaced and so far, so good.

Apple car play issue. I was told the issue was because I wasn’t using the Chrysler supplied cable. The repair manual says to use it. Anyone get a Chrysler factory Apple cable with their Jeep? BTW, Car play didn’t work today with an Apple brand cable.

Backup camera lines. First the service advisor told me that we need to turn the lines on. I am not that stupid.... They told me the issue was I was using it in the “active” mode. They put it in the straight line mode and told me I wouldn’t have any more problems. They said that passive mode looks for lines on the pavement. I asked why when we backed out of our garage the lines would work if it needed to see parking spaces. They told me it wasn’t working when it didn’t have lines so i guess i must be seeing things. I put it back in active mode.
I never got a Chrysler supplied IPhone cable. My CarPlay works just fine with the apple supplied IPhone cable as well. And whenever it does screw up CarPlay its probably because of Apple's planned obsolescence kicking in, because my IPhone is 3 years old and Apple can't stand the thought of that...

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if the problems radio specific. There are two types of these bigger touch screens the 8.4” which is common in other FCA vehicles such as our Rebel and it seems to be good but that screen in the photo may be the 7” and if it’s from a different supplier and perhaps poached from a car parts bin. They look very similar just the size and bezel are the tells.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Not sure I would agree with this.
Are they reliable compared to Honda accord? Nope. Of course not.
Typically, the BMWs and Mercs you get in the states tend to be the larger engines with higher output. They are both considered performance luxury sedans. Their driving characteristics are significantly different that say, a Ford Taurus.
You cannot buy a high performance machine and expect the maintenance cycle to be the same as a Honda Civic. It simply is not reasonable.
As a general rule, high HP motors are less reliable than low HP motors. There is simply more strain on all the components from the motor all the way down the drive train.
Do not confuse fragility with quality. They are not the same thing. You can drop your giant coffee mug and it likely will not break. If you drop bone china, it's gone. You cannot say that the China is lower quality.
Here in Germany you can buy a bare bones BMW or Merc with a small motor. Even a diesel one. They will run forever.
What the German makers excel at over other brands is fit and finish. Try to find a wide panel gap, interior or exterior.

I was just trying to think of one, but I am not sure that a "reliable" performance luxury sedan which has the maintenance costs of a Honda even exists. Even something like a caddy has high maintenance costs and huge repair bills. My Jaguar was actually really reliable, but maintenance was really expensive.

For horrible depreciation. This is true of all performance luxury cars. After a few years they are dirt cheap. I am not talking sports cars or super cars, which can go up in value though.

Having said all that, I would never buy a Merc. In the late 80's and early 90's they did make a decision to lower the quality on their cars in order to both increase the profits and decrease the live of the cars. Around 2007 or so they decided they had better refocus and start making good cars, engineered to last a long time again. However since they made crap for so long intentionally, I will never buy their products. As I will never again buy anything from the VW Audio group due to the damage they have done to the image of Germany and our economy. They made billions out of the emissions scandal.
When Chrysler and Daimler merged back in the 90's, Daimler was supposed to bring improved quality. Chrysler had the fastest turnaround time in the automotive industry from design to production within 1.5 years while Ford an GM took about 3 years.

By the time Chrysler and Daimler split, Chrysler actually improved Mercedes Quality.

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
OP
OP
Gray Fox

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
Wonder if the problems radio specific. There are two types of these bigger touch screens the 8.4” which is common in other FCA vehicles such as our Rebel and it seems to be good but that screen in the photo may be the 7” and if it’s from a different supplier and perhaps poached from a car parts bin. They look very similar just the size and bezel are the tells.
If you are talking about a touch screen in this thread, it isn’t mine. I have the 8.4” display.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
If you are talking about a touch screen in this thread, it isn’t mine. I have the 8.4” display.
Ok thanks, wasn't sure if it was a problem specific to a certain screen size and possibly different manufacturers. Obviously not then so must be some sort of firmware issue as we don't have this problem with that radio in our Rebel.
Sponsored