Sponsored

Musical Wranglers; a good problem to have

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi, apologies for the long post and thanks to everyone who sticks through it to the end and provides helpful suggestions.

I currently have two Wranglers. A brand new 2021 JLUR and a 2007 JK. The original idea when I bought the JLUR 3 weeks ago was that it would replace two 2007 vehicles, the JK and a Toyota Sequoia neither of which was a daily driver. Ultimately the JLUR will replace the JK as my mountain vehicle. The Sequoia is already sold.

But things might change, my wife’s daily driver is a 2009 convertible and has developed a frustrating problem where the fuel gauge shows it has fuel when it does not. After three trips to the mechanic and now closely watching the fuel gauge versus what it should say, it still does not seem to be working right.

So now we are thinking that instead of selling the JK as originally planned, we will sell her convertible. She will take my 2017 daily driver and I will take the JLUR as my daily driver for a year or two before we replace the JK. She will then get a new car and the JLUR will go to the mountains as planned.

My original plan for the JLUR was that I would keep the suspension and tires stock for the 1st year then do a lift (maybe a Dynatrac 2”, MOPAR 2”, or MK 2.5”) with beadlocks/tires. So far, I have only added RC differential skids and am waiting for Ace rock sliders to arrive. The only other thing I was thinking about in the S/T was maybe doing MK skids (the oil pan looks very naked).

The JK has 104K miles. In the first 7 years and 89K miles with the original owner it was a daily driver that never touched dirt. The last 7 years and 15K miles I have owned the JK have been more than 50% on dirt/rock. Mainly me driving fire roads (but a little rougher when my son got behind the wheel). A lot of fun but nothing too serious.

The JK is a 2dr 6 speed manual base level X (wind up windows, etc) with (unfortunately) only the 3.21 LSD gearing. It has 30.5” Rubicon take-off tires / wheels with over 50% of the tread left but which are 10-12yrs old. JKU Sahara take-off shocks / springs, Ace rock-sliders, Teraflex differential covers, and EVAP skid. Other than that, it is stock. It has worked great for what we have done so far (tons of fun as noted above), but I would like to step it up a bit.

As I am sitting out on my back deck right now, it just occurred to me that the brand new 33” stock tire/wheels on the JLUR would be perfect on the JK. I wish the shocks/springs would fit as well but from what I understand they will not. But I could buy new tires/wheels for the JLUR now and put the stock stuff on the JK. Maybe also add a small lift like the 2” Rancho Sport. I would ultimately like to do 37’s on the JLUR but don’t think I can do that without a lift. Timing is good as I just got my annual bonus on Friday and want to spend some money on the Jeeps.

I just joined the local 4WD club where most of the members drive lifted Jeeps. I’m thinking that with the 33’s and 2” lift on the JK I can gain some more wheeling experience while figuring out exactly what I want for the JLUR long-term (I’m just 1yr from retirement and spending most of my time in the mountains).

This is my long-winded way of asking what you would recommend for an upgrade plan? I would like to get the JK upgraded without spending too much money as I will sell it in a year or two. For the JLUR I plan to keep it L/T and want 37’s (or at least 35’s) with a lift, skids, and winch. For the JLUR I am more concerned about getting the right modifications for me than what it will cost (within reason). So how do I best get there from here? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored