Sponsored

Musical Horn wired to factory installed Aux Switch not working - need help!

angrykitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I’m going to be useless to help you but I wanted to let you know that you’ve given me fun ideas. I never thought to use my switches for funny things but I sure do now! Might as well, they’re just sitting there doing nothing at this point.
Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Vehicle: 2022 4xE Wrangler Rubicon with factory installed aux switches (this is the first one I'm attempting to use)

I picked up a Vixen Dixie Musical Horn and have it installed per the instructions, but absolutely nothing happens when I press the factory installed aux switch. I am attaching an illustration of my wiring set up. Paging @Tredsdert as I've seen on a similar thread you have maybe done a similar setup?

I'm fairly comfortable with mechanical automotive, but I'm not confident at all when it comes to electrical, especially automotive electrical.

These are the directions I have: https://vixenhorns.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/VXH6801B.pdf

My setup as installed is attached. Any ideas why this isn't working? I've tried Aux 1 and Aux 4, and I've tried changing the settings in the menus for the switches. The switch itself lights up, but the compressor doesn't do anything and the horns don't sound. I think maybe there is an issue with my wiring setup with the relay?

• 87 wire goes to positive on compressor
  • 85 wire goes to the Aux 4 cable
  • 30 wire, 86 wire and a third wire are all connected, the third wire goes to an inline fuse and then to the+ battery post
  • Compressor negative wire is attached to frame
  • All wire is 16 gauge

4xE JL Air Horn Wiring.jpg
Musical horn? They still make them?

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Sounds like you blew fuse.

I would wire the aux switch to 87
the battery to 85
the ground to 86
and the positive on your airhorn to 30.

I would also change the button in uconnect to be push hold for on and when you let off it turns off automatically and that way it would work like a horn when you press it
I'm sure I could do a search and Google would be happy to point me in a 1000 different directions...
So
How do you determine where each terminal on a relay is supposed to hook up to ? I'm guessing all relays have different properties and connection terminals... so I am unsure how to go about purchasing the correct one and then wiring it ?

Any help is appreciated... thanks

Sponsored

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I'm sure I could do a search and Google would be happy to point me in a 1000 different directions...
So
How do you determine where each terminal on a relay is supposed to hook up to ? I'm guessing all relays have different properties and connection terminals... so I am unsure how to go about purchasing the correct one and then wiring it ?

Any help is appreciated... thanks
I have learned from others here in the forum as well as you tube!