emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had a problem where music will skip when connected via USB, but not when listening via Bluetooth, SiriusXM or AM/FM radio? I've noticed that whenever I connect my phone to either the center console USB port or the dash USB port (and even using different USB cables) music will fairly consistently skip, i.e., once or twice during a song. I'm wondering if I have a short, or if the USB connecting cable is loose at the back of the radio.

Just curious whether anyone else has experienced this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had a problem where music will skip when connected via USB, but not when listening via Bluetooth, SiriusXM or AM/FM radio? I've noticed that whenever I connect my phone to either the center console USB port or the dash USB port (and even using different USB cables) music will fairly consistently skip, i.e., once or twice during a song. I'm wondering if I have a short, or if the USB connecting cable is loose at the back of the radio.

Just curious whether anyone else has experienced this.
@JeepCares - would you weigh in on this issue, please? I have done a lot of troubleshooting, including the steps below, and this issue persists. Every time I connect my iPhone 11 to my 7" Uconnect radio using a USB cable music skips on every song I play, regardless of music source (i.e., Spotify, iTunes). But when I disconnect the cable and play the same music and source via Bluetooth connection, NO skips. This literally happens every time, and has been happening since I purchased my new Wrangler 2 months ago.

Troubleshooting steps taken:
- Have tried 4 different USB cables, including 2 OEM Apple cables
- Have tried all 3 USB ports in the vehicle (all skip)
- Have checked the rear of the radio for any loose connections; none found
- Have checked the rear of dashboard Media module for loose connections; none found
- Have tested music via USB cable with a friend's Android phone - MUSIC DOES NOT SKIP

Because the skipping does NOT occur when the Android phone is connected via USB, I am led to believe this is a compatibility issue between the iPhone 11 CarPlay and Uconnect radio. This conclusion is supported by the fact that I used the same iPhone via CarPlay in my prior Jeep JK that I traded in on the new JL, and had no skipping issues (with an aftermarket Sony CarPlay enabled radio).

I would appreciate someone on the Uconnect team taking a look at this issue.

Thank you,

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
noticed the same thing in mine today when connected via USB 2 as well.
7ā€ u connect. iPhone 10.
no issues with any other media.
suspected the cord... will test the other USB and a new cord tonight and see if it does the same.

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
noticed the same thing in mine today when connected via USB 2 as well.
7ā€ u connect. iPhone 10.
no issues with any other media.
suspected the cord... will test the other USB and a new cord tonight and see if it does the same.
Thanks. Please do post results, as I suspect this may be a compatibility issue between Uconnect and certain iPhone operating systems.

Which iOS are you running on your phone? (Settings/General/About/Software Version) I am on v13.5.1.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks. Please do post results, as I suspect this may be a compatibility issue between Uconnect and certain iPhone operating systems.

Which iOS are you running on your phone? (Settings/General/About/Software Version) I am on v13.5.1.
I been dealing with these issues for 2 years ever since I bought my Jeep. Took it to dealers the other day to have a look at it again along with myriad of other issues.
They told me they donā€™t have any software updates for my system. So Iā€™m SOL.

Sponsored

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Interesting. I am running 13.5.1 as well.

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Interesting. I am running 13.5.1 as well.
Tried it again this morning. Only had 15 minutes to play with it. New cord, 13.5.1, both USB ports behave the same.
occasional skips during tracks. The most I counted during one track was 4 small skips at seemingly random intervals. Skips comparable to what would be a minor skip during play back on an old CD player. One interesting thing that I did notice- when I hit next tack, playback of the song begins and almost immediately it will produce one small skip. It does this consistently. Next track, play starts, skip, play resumes.

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Tried it again this morning. Only had 15 minutes to play with it. New cord, 13.5.1, both USB ports behave the same.
occasional skips during tracks. The most I counted during one track was 4 small skips at seemingly random intervals. Skips comparable to what would be a minor skip during play back on an old CD player. One interesting thing that I did notice- when I hit next tack, playback of the song begins and almost immediately it will produce one small skip. It does this consistently. Next track, play starts, skip, play resumes.
Yes, this is the same behavior I have experienced. Consistent small skips when connected via USB.

Unfortunately, it does not appear possible to disable CarPlay to try accessing an app like Spotify or Pandora directly. This would allow us to isolate whether the issue is one of compatibility with CarPlay or with the iPhone iOS itself. But every time I erase the Uconnect radio from the phone's CarPlay it automatically reestablishes itself once I connect the phone via USB to the car.

This morning, I went to my local Jeep dealer and asked to plug my iPhone into a new Wrangler on the showroom floor with a 7" Uconnect radio, in order to test this issue. They complied, and I can confirm that the same issue occurred - music skipped through CarPlay.

This implies that this is not an issue with our specific vehicles, but between Uconnect and either CarPlay or the iPhone's iOS. This requires @JeepCares to escalate this matter to the Uconnect team, as it is apparent there is some incompatibility between the Uconnect system and Apple CarPlay or iOS . Hopefully, Uconnect will resolve this quickly, as CarPlay is an important feature of the radio in the Wrangler and Jeep advertises the Uconnect radio as CarPlay compatible. Consistently skipping while playing music is NOT compatibility.

One last troubleshooting I just attempted: I erased my iPhone and reset it to the factory settings to see if I could return to a previous iOS version, in the event it is a recent iOS update that is causing this issue. (Based on Arterius2's note that he has been experiencing this for 2 years I was not optimistic that this would resolve the issue, but thought it worth a try.) Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a way to revert to a previous iOS, as when my phone rebooted the most current iOS, v13.5.1, was loaded on the phone.

So, once again, @JeepCares needs to step in and escalate this issue to the Uconnect team.

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Final update (for now): I just got off the phone with Uconnect customer support. The support rep documented the skipping issue and said it would be reported to the Uconnect software team. He also said Uconnect is constantly working on compatibility issues with iPhones, and it is a matter of time before they correct this issue as part of their regular process. With the skipping issue documented, hopefully, it will be addressed soon.

Not a perfect response, but I guess as best as can be expected. The Uconnect rep seemed very knowledgeable and responsive - he put me on hold and said he was contacting the software team directly - so I trust the skipping issue has made its way to the software team and we'll see some fix soon.

Ryder

First Name
Dian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited Sahara 2019
I have the same issue. I'm new to Sirius and thought it was just bad reception and gave up listening to it. I also have an iPhone 11 connected.

Sponsored

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue. I'm new to Sirius and thought it was just bad reception and gave up listening to it. I also have an iPhone 11 connected.
This issue should not be occurring with SIriusXM, as that does not require a USB connection to your iPhone. The issue only occurs (for me, anyway) when playing music from the iPhone via a USB cable. All other music sources in my JL - radio, SiriusXM, and iPhone music sources connected via Bluetooth - do not skip.

This appears to be a compatibility issue using USB only.

-fyi

Ryder

First Name
Dian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited Sahara 2019
This issue should not be occurring with SIriusXM, as that does not require a USB connection to your iPhone. The issue only occurs (for me, anyway) when playing music from the iPhone via a USB cable. All other music sources in my JL - radio, SiriusXM, and iPhone music sources connected via Bluetooth - do not skip.

This appears to be a compatibility issue using USB only.

-fyi
Thank you for the clarification. Must just be bad reception.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Final update (for now): I just got off the phone with Uconnect customer support. The support rep documented the skipping issue and said it would be reported to the Uconnect software team. He also said Uconnect is constantly working on compatibility issues with iPhones, and it is a matter of time before they correct this issue as part of their regular process. With the skipping issue documented, hopefully, it will be addressed soon.

Not a perfect response, but I guess as best as can be expected. The Uconnect rep seemed very knowledgeable and responsive - he put me on hold and said he was contacting the software team directly - so I trust the skipping issue has made its way to the software team and we'll see some fix soon.
I know this is old but i have been struggling with this since october 2020 when i first got my jeep.I have found ways to rememdy this temporarily, switch off screen, disconnect phone, turn on Radio, change channels then reconnect phone, if not restart car.Today at the dealership when i went for service they could not replicate the problem even though it happened before i got there and after i left!, they said if it ever happens to go to them and not turn off the car....

I was just wondering if there was a solution that you know of.

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t used a USB cable for a while now, ever since installing a CarPlay wireless unit last summer, so I donā€™t know whether there has been any resolution. I can say that with the wireless unit, the skipping does not occur. (Which is odd, because the wireless unit plugs into the USB port!)

Everything I tested at the time pointed to an issue with the Jeepā€™s USB ports, but iPhones are notorious for causing compatibility issues with other components, and since last summer my phone has undergone at least 5 updates, so itā€™s hard to track the source of the issue.

Iā€˜ve chalked it up to the downsides of having too much digital tech in cars these days. I long for an analog vehicle!

You might try installing a wireless CarPlay unit, if you have not already. Aside from potentially solving the skipping problem for you, itā€™s nice not to have to physically connect the iPhone every time you get in the car. Instead, within about 20 seconds, youā€™re automatically connected to your phone.

Good luck,

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I know this is old but i have been struggling with this since october 2020 when i first got my jeep.I have found ways to rememdy this temporarily, switch off screen, disconnect phone, turn on Radio, change channels then reconnect phone, if not restart car.Today at the dealership when i went for service they could not replicate the problem even though it happened before i got there and after i left!, they said if it ever happens to go to them and not turn off the car....

I was just wondering if there was a solution that you know of.
I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
Jeep Cares
Sponsored