Sponsored

Multiple JL Issues - Clutch, ESS, First Gear Shift Not Available, Hill Start Assist

heezy

First Name
Haithum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi All,

I'm a new Wrangler owner(and new to the forum) and have been experiencing quite a few issues with it. Although I've never owned a Wrangler I've been driving manual my entire life. I purchased a stock 4 door manual Wrangler in April '18. I'll start off with my clutch issues, I should preface this with that I wasn't driving the Jeep much(probably did 3k miles in the first 6 months. My first issue started about 5 months later - I was driving around town running errands and after my last stop I get in my car and try to start it and it just wouldn't turn. I tried a push start with no luck so I had the car towed to the dealership. They said the clutch sensor was loose and they went ahead and reconnected it and all was well. Fast forward a month and I my clutch starts squeaking, it was a light squeak at first then it quickly turned into a loud annoying and disheartening squeaking after taking the jeep on a ~300 mile trip. I took the car back to the dealership, they ended up changing the entire assembly and the squeaking went away but something didn't feel right with the clutch. I suspected that I would run into the same issue again, and to no surprise, the squeaking is back but this time the clutch feels stiff and rough. When I first got the Jeep the clutch was super smooth and light. Along with this latest clutch issue, the ESS rarely works. When at a stop light(or any extended stop) the car will not shut off, it works maybe 1 out of 10 times. Also, I will get the First Gear Shift Not Available notification while I'm in gear(2nd), and even switching gears (i.e 4th to 5th), basically at the most random times but I'm never even close to switching into 1st. And to add insult to injury, the hill start assist no longer engages when I press the brakes(I noticed this thanks to all of the hills we have in Seattle). I've scheduled another appointment, third involving the clutch, with the dealer to see what comes out of this visit. I have zero faith my clutch issue will be resolved permanently.

I just wanted to throw this out here to see if anyone else has been experiencing these issues, I've seen that some have experienced similar issues but not quite what I have and with no clear resolution. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

cesarcandamoJL

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FUTURE JLU
Hi All,

I'm a new Wrangler owner(and new to the forum) and have been experiencing quite a few issues with it. Although I've never owned a Wrangler I've been driving manual my entire life. I purchased a stock 4 door manual Wrangler in April '18. I'll start off with my clutch issues, I should preface this with that I wasn't driving the Jeep much(probably did 3k miles in the first 6 months. My first issue started about 5 months later - I was driving around town running errands and after my last stop I get in my car and try to start it and it just wouldn't turn. I tried a push start with no luck so I had the car towed to the dealership. They said the clutch sensor was loose and they went ahead and reconnected it and all was well. Fast forward a month and I my clutch starts squeaking, it was a light squeak at first then it quickly turned into a loud annoying and disheartening squeaking after taking the jeep on a ~300 mile trip. I took the car back to the dealership, they ended up changing the entire assembly and the squeaking went away but something didn't feel right with the clutch. I suspected that I would run into the same issue again, and to no surprise, the squeaking is back but this time the clutch feels stiff and rough. When I first got the Jeep the clutch was super smooth and light. Along with this latest clutch issue, the ESS rarely works. When at a stop light(or any extended stop) the car will not shut off, it works maybe 1 out of 10 times. Also, I will get the First Gear Shift Not Available notification while I'm in gear(2nd), and even switching gears (i.e 4th to 5th), basically at the most random times but I'm never even close to switching into 1st. And to add insult to injury, the hill start assist no longer engages when I press the brakes(I noticed this thanks to all of the hills we have in Seattle). I've scheduled another appointment, third involving the clutch, with the dealer to see what comes out of this visit. I have zero faith my clutch issue will be resolved permanently.

I just wanted to throw this out here to see if anyone else has been experiencing these issues, I've seen that some have experienced similar issues but not quite what I have and with no clear resolution. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey HEEZY, how many miles on your Jeep? My Jeep just took a dumb over the weekend.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
The ess and electrical issues you are having sounds like the auxiliary battery has a low charge.... Id ask the dealership to change it.... 9/10 times that fixes it

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The ess and electrical issues you are having sounds like the auxiliary battery has a low charge.... Id ask the dealership to change it.... 9/10 times that fixes it
I came here to say this. As far as your clutch issues, I can’t really speak to that. Good luck!
Sponsored