Muffler Removal

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
I can’t stand the way the muffler looks at the back of my Jeep. Looking at painting with a high heat paint for now but considering removing it down the road. I’ve looked at a few muffler delete kits and wondered if anyone is running them?

Noob question probably but why can’t you just remove the muffler and call it a day? I get that it will be louder but is it that detrimental?
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
That's it, it is just muffling the sound. And maybe stopping exhaust fumes from creeping up in the back. But primarily all that muffler is doing is that 'muffling'. And on a turbo, there is even less noise to muffle. Pop it off and drive, see the difference for yourself.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
That's it, it is just muffling the sound. And maybe stopping exhaust fumes from creeping up in the back. But primarily all that muffler is doing is that 'muffling'. And on a turbo, there is even less noise to muffle. Pop it off and drive, see the difference for yourself.
I think I’m going to do that and see how loud it really is! If it’s not horrible I may just leave it off.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I think I’m going to do that and see how loud it really is! If it’s not horrible I may just leave it off.
Yeah if anything add a small piece of pipe to route the exhaust outside the jeep.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
dont do it for too long as some people have burned holes in the rear storage bin, I have the muffler delete pipe and its not too loud. I also have the 3.6.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
dont do it for too long as some people have burned holes in the rear storage bin, I have the muffler delete pipe and its not too loud. I also have the 3.6.
Burned holes how?? The muffler doesn’t have anything to do with temperature, right? Obviously I’m not sure as I’m kinda new to this.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Burned holes how?? The muffler doesn’t have anything to do with temperature, right? Obviously I’m not sure as I’m kinda new to this.

No it doesn't do anything more to temp than simply directing hot gases which may 'cool' over distance, but no exhaust shouldn't be burning a hole in anything. Again though, add a piece of pipe and redirect the exhaust, you'll be fine.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What I find is when people eliminate the mufflers, it's either on something they don;t drive much or they end up sticking on some sort of muffler or resonator down the road because it gets tiresome.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The exhaust gases are hot enough to melt plastic. If you just take the muffler off, the pipe ends right above the axle and pointed right near the storage bin. Even if you don't burn holes in anything, you don't want your exhaust ending that far under the jeep for fumes alone. The eliminator pipe properly routes the exhaust out the back of the jeep where it should be.

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
Buy 2 Vibrant 1794's or equivalent to what sound you want. Buy a set of tips you like head over to a good muffler shop and have them put on. This is the idea just it's on my HC.
Jeep Wrangler JL Muffler Removal 20180828_110017

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
The exhaust gases are hot enough to melt plastic. If you just take the muffler off, the pipe ends right above the axle and pointed right near the storage bin. Even if you don't burn holes in anything, you don't want your exhaust ending that far under the jeep for fumes alone. The eliminator pipe properly routes the exhaust out the back of the jeep where it should be.
Ahhh that makes sense!! I think for now I’ll paint it with high heat paint and do the muffler delete kit down the road. I’d rather do it right and have piece of mind.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Ahhh that makes sense!! I think for now I’ll paint it with high heat paint and do the muffler delete kit down the road. I’d rather do it right and have piece of mind.
Look on the for sale threads and ebay, the Dynomax muffler delete comes up quite a bit. I got mine for $60 shipped and I love it. I do have the 3.6 but I believe it is the same for all JL.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
Look on the for sale threads and ebay, the Dynomax muffler delete comes up quite a bit. I got mine for $60 shipped and I love it. I do have the 3.6 but I believe it is the same for all JL.
I’ll take a look! Thank you!
Sponsored