Mudding harmful to Jeep?

Is the mud harmful?

• Total voters

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Posting in General because there is both a Cosmetic/Protection question and a general maintenance question

Saw folks saying that mud is bad for the Jeep. From the clear coat erroding to mud forever causing mechanical interference with moving components and getting into the radiator, brakes, diff, etc.

I pressure washed the undercarriage briefly (but thoroughly on hands and knees) and rinsed the grill/radiator with a gentle spray.

how bad is mud like this bad for the Jeep?

will I really be “paying” for the outing of fun a “decade” from now?

61F69D88-2902-4644-A03B-A861E942B5AE.jpeg
Sponsored

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I think your poll results answered your question.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Why would anybody want to get a perfectly good gladiator all muddy. When I was a young man I found out the hard you can clean all you want but you will never get all the mud off of your gladiator. Beside they cost to much go out and buy a junk Jeep to go mudding in

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Why would anybody want to get a perfectly good gladiator all muddy. When I was a young man I found out the hard you can clean all you want but you will never get all the mud off of your gladiator. Beside they cost to much go out and buy a junk Jeep to go mudding in
I bought my gladiator specifically to take mudding, trail riding, basically anything off pavement. Dude it’s a JEEP, not a Bentley. They are supposed to have scratches and leftover dirt/mud in the nooks and crannies. Thrash that piece, it’s a Jeep and that is what they are specifically built for and how people expect them to look. A Jeep without a scratch has an owner that is missing the whole point. I mean I hear ya about buying a woods beater, but that’s another insurance policy, another car that needs oil changes, etc.

Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I avoid mud if it isn't necessary for travelling down a trail. If it is there I will go through it. I have lost a number of parts to mud such as starters, electric radiator fans, axle seals, etc. The problem with mud is it is an abrasive in a liquid slurry. The liquid will carry it far more places than dirt alone. If you want to go mudding than go for it. At least you don't have drum brakes to worry about. Just be aware that it will likely erode your axle seals and such more quickly. Clean it as soon as you can and check diff, trans and transfer fluids much more frequently. It is amazing where it gets. I bought a waggy d44 front axle off a mud truck and the fluid in it was probably 10% oil and 90%mud. All the bearings were trash. I figured this going in and the price reflected that.

It is your Jeep, have fun with it but don't believe anyone that says mud won't hurt it. Just take care of it and you will be fine.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I avoid mud if it isn't necessary for travelling down a trail. If it is there I will go through it. I have lost a number of parts to mud such as starters, electric radiator fans, axle seals, etc. The problem with mud is it is an abrasive in a liquid slurry. The liquid will carry it far more places than dirt alone. If you want to go mudding than go for it. At least you don't have drum brakes to worry about. Just be aware that it will likely erode your axle seals and such more quickly. Clean it as soon as you can and check diff, trans and transfer fluids much more frequently. It is amazing where it gets. I bought a waggy d44 front axle off a mud truck and the fluid in it was probably 10% oil and 90%mud. All the bearings were trash. I figured this going in and the price reflected that.

It is your Jeep, have fun with it but don't believe anyone that says mud won't hurt it. Just take care of it and you will be fine.

Thanks

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully this one time going in mud didnt damage my Jeep. The thought of mud getting into the diff, seals, etc terrifies me.

I should just stick to pavement until it is paid off

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I am in S/W Ohio and ‘wheel my older Jeep In Kentucky. Mud is hard to avoid. I do avoid burying it in deep muddy water and always clean up afterwords. I have been doing this with several jeeps for many years without issue. However it is your payment and your risk assessment. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully this one time going in mud didnt damage my Jeep. The thought of mud getting into the diff, seals, etc terrifies me.
No dude, if you got mud on your Jeep, it's toast. Mud on a Jeep is like salt on a snail. Move on to something else. It's done. Sell it for scrap.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No dude, if you got mud on your Jeep, it's toast. Mud on a Jeep is like salt on a snail. Move on to something else. It's done.
cant tell if you’re serious or not

I have seen plenty of jeeps mudding worse than this. I however have not seen the consequences and repair costs that may have resulted