Sponsored

Mud terrain tires in snow?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Does anyone here have experience with mud terrain tires like KM2s in snow? I’m talking about wet heavy north east snow, not terribly powdery. How are they with traction in light snow and slush and in heavier snowfalls?

I ask because as I look for takeoff wheels they often come with such tires.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Deep snow, as in there was a storm and no plowing done, they will do decent to well.

Average winter snow/winter driving they will be awful.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Does anyone here have experience with mud terrain tires like KM2s in snow? I’m talking about wet heavy north east snow, not terribly powdery. How are they with traction in light snow and slush and in heavier snowfalls?

I ask because as I look for takeoff wheels they often come with such tires.

Thanks.
For regular snow driving
Winter tires>AT with 3PMSF(3 peak mountain snowflake)>Regular AT(M+S)>Mud Terrain>Regular All Seasons

Mud terrains lack the siping for enhanced snow performance and tread blocks are too big to compact most snow on the road for usable traction, some do have it, albeit very minimal, they also lack the 3PMSF designation which uses softer compounds for cold temperature. They are however on par with M+S tires.
If you go to any manufacturer’s website they will rate their own mud terrains rather poorly for the “winter” category, and for good reasons.

Some mud terrains such as Firestone Destination MT2 are studdable for improved snow performance but you will have to check with your local traffic laws for on-road driving.

things however change for soft deep snow, since they act more like mud and sand. but that’s a whole nother can of worms.

B3784B65-3F99-4BBF-86E4-3EA9329E9065.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Extremely helpful, thank you.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
30 yrs of Maine winters and never ruled out MT's as my tire choice because of snow.
1. You have 4WD
2. Slow down and don't be stupid
3. You have 4WD
4. If you go in the ditch........drive back out.
5. Or trade in your Heep for a Prius and stay home when it snows.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
30 yrs of Maine winters and never ruled out MT's as my tire choice because of snow.
1. You have 4WD
2. Slow down and don't be stupid
3. You have 4WD
4. If you go in the ditch........drive back out.
5. Or trade in your Heep for a Prius and stay home when it snows.
Contrary to popular beliefs, 4WD doesn’t help with stopping distance which is the number one cause for accidents during winter. With that said, MT will likely not have too much issues dealing with most winters since they have on-par performance to all season M+S which is what most people run anyways. And like you said 4WD, which improves traction during acceleration and turns.

Last edited:

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Contrary to popular beliefs, 4WD doesn’t help with stopping distance which is the number one cause for accidents during winter. With that said, MT will likely not have too much issues dealing with most winters since they have on-par performance to all season M+S which is what most people run anyways. And like you said 4WD, which improves traction during acceleration and turns.
Hence #3. Slow down and don't be stupid. (learned from 30 yrs of driving Maine winters with MT's and 12 yrs winter driving with RWD and no 4WD.)

I've seen way too many 4WD vehicles driving like its a sunny day, yet in the middle of snow storm. doing 60-70 mph AND following way too close. You don't sit and spin when a light turns green, and accelerating slightly while turning helps too, but yes..........you can't stop any better than anyone else.

Also it ain't your Pappys Jeep........you got traction control that works well also. With MT's you'll be kicking up a big ol/ cloud of powder that keeps the idiots from tail gating. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited: