Sponsored

Mud in Clutch - Not covered under warranty

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So my clutch had a bit of a strange feeling with it. Basically if you pushed it in slow it would slightly vibrate. It has 20,000km's on it so far.

I took it to the dealer and they looked at it. They said that the clutch had mud inside of it and that my entire powertrain warranty would be void if they opened it and had to send pictures (They didn't) to replace it.

I asked how that would possibly happen? I have only ever taken my Jeep off-roading twice. Yes, it was muddy, but I didn't cover it insanely in mud. It was just a minor amount at best (picture attached). No water even pass by the tires let alone the transmission. Wtf?

Why is there a vent on the transmission / clutch housing for these things? Jeep advertise they are 75 Years of 4x4 Mastery. You have a clutch vent that allows mud to get in an ruin the clutch and you call that mastery?

Has anyone had an issue?

This is so ridiculous. This is my first Jeep and I'm starting to think it will be my last.

IMG_20200907_194924.jpg
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sounds like a load of crap from the dealer. Why would mud in a clutch void the entire powertrain? First if all the clutch is an external part like brakes. What does a muddy clutch have to do with a piston or any other part of the engine or diffs? Nothing. Dealer is probably being lazy. Take it to a mom and pop mechanic or a trans shop and ask them to diagnose it. See what they say, clean it up and go to a different dealer if something warranty related is needed. Clutches are not normally covered by warranty, just like brake pads.
The way a clutch works hasn't changed much at all in the last 60 years. Works the same on a Jeep as it does on a car, pickup, or any other SUV. If it has a clutch pedal it's the same basic design. If you got mud in there, I'd have to wonder how, but it should be able to get cleaned out.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So my clutch had a bit of a strange feeling with it. Basically if you pushed it in slow it would slightly vibrate. It has 20,000km's on it so far.

I took it to the dealer and they looked at it. They said that the clutch had mud inside of it and that my entire powertrain warranty would be void if they opened it and had to send pictures (They didn't) to replace it.

I asked how that would possibly happen? I have only ever taken my Jeep off-roading twice. Yes, it was muddy, but I didn't cover it insanely in mud. It was just a minor amount at best (picture attached). No water even pass by the tires let alone the transmission. Wtf?

Why is there a vent on the transmission / clutch housing for these things? Jeep advertise they are 75 Years of 4x4 Mastery. You have a clutch vent that allows mud to get in an ruin the clutch and you call that mastery?

Has anyone had an issue?

This is so ridiculous. This is my first Jeep and I'm starting to think it will be my last.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mud in Clutch - Not covered under warranty IMG_20200907_194924
Are you handy at DIY?

OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
This makes me so mad still.

"Trail rated" my ass.

Hello...bronco? Is it me you're looking for..
Sponsored