Sponsored

Mud flaps on a Jeep?! Am I crazy?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'm debating putting some mud flaps on the front of my 2 door Rubicon (stock). I don't really care about rock chips on my fenders or door, but I am finding that the salt coming off of the tires is building up on the side windows hurting my visibility a bit. I also am finding that the door handle likes to get packed with ice/dirt. It's not a big issue but the last few days I've been knocking the mix out when I open the door. I'm thinking some mud flaps behind the front tire would solve these first world problems but my question is, how flexible are they? When I catch one on a rock is it going to flex out of the way or is it going to rip off, or is it going to be so solid that it flexes the fender?

And of course... should Jeeps have mud flaps? Looks like I can get a front only set from rokblokz.

EDIT: I do have a story of slide the front end across some fresh road kill (went to go around it and someone's pug came out of the weeds onto the road, dodge the dog, but front MTR threw pieces of the road kill down the side of my jeep) that would maybe been less disgusting if I had a mud flap.
Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Feel your pain in making this decision! No issues with my unflapped TJ for the past 21 years, but it has paddles for door handles. The new JLU handles however love to catch and store everything thrown their way! Went the regular sized Rokblokz route for just the front and pleasantly surprised that they look decent and work.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
rockblokz work well, don't look bad, and are easily removeable (one thumbscrew in the rear, three in the front) if you find yourself needing more flex room when out on the trails.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mud flaps on a Jeep?! Am I crazy? IMG_4572

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
These Mopar mud flaps are attached with plastic rivets so I would imagine it would have a greater chance of being ripped off before any damage to the fender would occur in your rock scenario. They are not a flexible plastic. They keep the side of the Jeep clean which is what I was looking for.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mud flaps on a Jeep?! Am I crazy? IMGL4400.JPG

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
In WA state anything 35in and up you have to have mudflaps (legally). I got pulled over my my local fuzz and he was all cool about it, but since it was in my town by the local PD, I was not going to play games and risk getting a ticket. There are companies who make QR mudflaps so you can take them off at the trail when airing down; I recommend these. I've forgotten to take mine off before and everytime I do i end up ripping a mudflap off and have to replace the rubber mudflap

Sponsored

OP
OP

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
rockblokz work well, don't look bad, and are easily removeable (one thumbscrew in the rear, three in the front) if you find yourself needing more flex room when out on the trails.
Thank you. The dirt that's down the side of your Jeep, was that there before you had mud flaps on? Any concerns about the thumb screws backing out over time?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I saved my stock mud flaps from my JL Sahara after I removed the old bumper.

I really want to put them back - but there's no way to mount them with my new RR bumper as these stock ones basically attached via the plastic bumper by those plastic clips.

I want these back on as mud etc flies up and into the new rear bumper, covering the parking sensors (from the back) and sometimes I need to hose it down in there or they start throwing up false parking beeps...

Jeep Wrangler JL Mud flaps on a Jeep?! Am I crazy? IMG_0333

Jeep Wrangler JL Mud flaps on a Jeep?! Am I crazy? IMG_0334

Anyways I'm just saying I'm in the YES for mud flaps crowd.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Thank you. The dirt that's down the side of your Jeep, was that there before you had mud flaps on? Any concerns about the thumb screws backing out over time?
I had that same concern, just
used blue LocTite.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
yes, the dirt was present before installation of the mud flaps, and the reason I installed them. this dirt is from 2 days going to work & having to drive in a mud parking lot...not to sound like Karen, but I didnt spend this kind of money to have the sides of my rig trashed with mud & crap ;)

OP
OP

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
yes, the dirt was present before installation of the mud flaps, and the reason I installed them. this dirt is from 2 days going to work & having to drive in a mud parking lot...not to sound like Karen, but I didnt spend this kind of money to have the sides of my rig trashed with mud & crap ;)
HA I should grab a photo of mine currently, it would make you cringe. Not mud/dirt currently, just salt.

Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I have the weathertech mudflaps on my JLUR. The front ones are really nice and molded to fit as if they came stock. No drilling needed either.
I would highly recommend them, should have been factory IMO. Without them, the handles, hinges and rear fender get pelted.

Landu992001

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes, I would agree on the Weather Tech. Protect from Rock Chips and mud along doors. The rear lower hinges will still see damage from debris. Best solution would be wider rock sliders.
Sponsored