DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So far I am the lone Sahara MT guy. Making me question my choice. No doubt will have 6mt (have same on my 335i) but is Sahara the right choice? Not offloading much, want it kind of luxe inside and will add 33's, steel bumpers and drivers lights. Hope it will have a market here in NNJ but ultimately looking to keep it a long time so do I really care? Like many of you I have 2 boys (14 and 11) who will learn to drive manual. Wife drives it and enjoys it. F it, unless one of you convinces me otherwise I am keeping the order... :)
I think you'll love it!
Sponsored

Direwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Had no trouble selling my JKU Willy's manual (and resale value was very strong). However, I was never a huge fan of the transmission itself. I'll need a more extensive testdrive before I'll order a JL/JLU manual. And I'd highly recommend testdriving a model with the same axle ratio as what you intend to buy. That was a mistake I made last time due to low availability of manuals on dealers' lots.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
One of the biggest reasons I ordered MT is so I can teach my kids (ages 15, 13, & 11). It’s a dying skill in America.
My wife ok'd the ordering of a JLUR with the specific stipulation that I have a manual so our 2 younger kids (12 & 9) can learn on one. The two older ones both learned on and currently drive one.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
Had no trouble selling my JKU Willy's manual (and resale value was very strong). However, I was never a huge fan of the transmission itself. I'll need a more extensive testdrive before I'll order a JL/JLU manual. And I'd highly recommend testdriving a model with the same axle ratio as what you intend to buy. That was a mistake I made last time due to low availability of manuals on dealers' lots.
With the praise the new MT has received, I’m feeling pretty confident about ordering one.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
With the praise the new MT has received, I’m feeling pretty confident about ordering one.
I am interested in the MT as well, but haven't yet found many reviews delving into the details. Some reviews indicated an issue with the clutch feel, that was reportedly being addressed by Jeep. If anyone has found more detailed reviews of the MT, particularly technical breakdowns and ratings, would be interested to hear about it.

Sponsored

FishRubi18

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Last of a Dying Breed. i would not have ordered a JL if manual was not an option.. i refuse to drive auto.. it's manual always!

also there are alot of people like me.. who will actually pay up on the used market for a well maintained manual car.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
I am considering the Sahara because it is almost the same price as my Sport S 4-door build (manual). I am having the same struggle but I only plan to keep it for 3 years so resale is more of a concern for me.

Best advice is get what you want and don't overthink it! I should probably listen to my own advice...
Exactly. Get what you want and enjoy it!

An MT JL won't loose any more resale value than an auto will, and as a couple of others mentioned it might actually loose less resale as a % of purchase price because while your buyer pool might be [much] smaller, demand in that pool is higher since there are many fewer MTs on the road than ATs.

Edit: my above comments are regarding private sales. If someone is really concerned about trade-in value, I'd say go with the auto. Because the buyer pool for autos is going to be much greater, I think you'd have better trade-in value on an auto vs a manual, simply because the dealership could likely resell the vehicle faster/easier with an AT than with an MT (unless they've already got a customer searching for an MT). That said though, I still say get what you want and enjoy it! You're buying this vehicle for YOU, not the 2nd owner.

As for the ~$2k price difference, all things considered that probably isn't going to make a huge difference in your monthly payments, especially considering how expensive these things are to start with. It's maybe a 5-7% increase in price? I wouldn't buy an MT just to save money if you weren't absolutely sure you'd be happy driving an MT everyday.

Last edited:

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had a problem selling a manual. Also, manuals are stolen FAR less often.

To me, in my humble opinion, something is missing from the Jeep experience if it doesn't have a manual transmission. For someone who knows what they are doing, there is no real disadvantage off-road. Dense stop and go traffic (mostly stopped) is probably its greatest weakness, but unless I lived where that is a regular occurrance, I wouldn't even consider it in the equation.

In the 20 years I've owned Wranglers, both manuals, I have no regrets in either case and would not have ever traded either of them for an automatic.

That said, the 5 speed in the JK is a very nice transmission and drives really well. The 8 speed will be just gravy. I'm sure it will be the best driving auto ever put in a Jeep. I doubt anyone will be disappointed in any way with it. If you wanted to give me one, I would be very grateful and would enjoy the heck out of it.
Best.response.to.the.manual.vs.auto.debate.period. :like:

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Of those who took the poll I am literally the only Sahara Manual. That's either great or terrible for resale...probably the latter but i don'g care because I don't plan to sell it for a long time!

OP
OP
Matthew/E36

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Sounds like something to worry about down the road, enjoy the drive!

I ordered an MT, so can't wait!

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Of those who took the poll I am literally the only Sahara Manual. That's either great or terrible for resale...probably the latter but i don'g care because I don't plan to sell it for a long time!
You're going to own a Unicorn!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
First post.

I've owned five vehicles, all manuals. And I have always wanted a Wrangler after years of offroading and driving around in TJ's and YJ's that friends owned. I'm in a position to afford nice cars now, and am planning on buying a 2018 JL 2-door Sport with the 6 Speed. Probably base trim. The S doesn't seem worth three grand to me, and the sticker shock above the JK is steep enough. I'm sure I'd be happy with a base. I had been looking for that retro feel aka few features, two doors, manual trans, open air.

I'm planning on ordering around late April if I don't hear nonstop JL reliability nightmare stories by then.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I was willing to put up with the JK manual, but waited long enough that the JL arrived, and I want it. The improved M/T drivetrain is a plus for me!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you'd be fine. Someone out there is gonna want lots of equipment, but a manual trans, and I don't think there's gonna be too many of them out there.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
So far I am the lone Sahara MT guy. Making me question my choice. No doubt will have 6mt (have same on my 335i) but is Sahara the right choice? Not offloading much, want it kind of luxe inside and will add 33's, steel bumpers and drivers lights. Hope it will have a market here in NNJ but ultimately looking to keep it a long time so do I really care? Like many of you I have 2 boys (14 and 11) who will learn to drive manual. Wife drives it and enjoys it. F it, unless one of you convinces me otherwise I am keeping the order... :)
Same here, fully loaded JLUS (minus leather, upgraded wheels and smoker group), but I HAVE to have it manual; and also, let’s enjoy MTs while some automakers offer some, which might not be for much longer ;)
Sponsored