Sponsored

MSRP question

JMRM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander
Hi all,

Finally back in a Jeep (well sort of) as I purchased a 2021 two-door Islander for my daughter. Well after driving it probably as much as she has, I’ve decided to treat myself as well (my current DD is 15 years old). I’ve settled on an Islander as well mainly for the wheels - no one on the planet hates the black wheel trend more than I do, and most other models those or grey are the only choices. There are a few other Islander-specific things I like as well including the white dash inserts as well as the option of a white hardtop. In talking with my dealer we realized the Islander is being discontinued and you can no longer place an order. I did a search and found exactly what I “would” order on the lot at a dealership 240 miles away. I called, and they are at MSRP. I was able to haggle a bit on the two-door I bought, so paying MSRP just rubs me wrong. So simple question - this thing has an MSRP of $46,500. If this were two years ago and pre-covid, what could I reasonably have expected off? I’ll probably purchase it anyway, but would be nice to know. Thanks!!! Jeff
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hi all,

Finally back in a Jeep (well sort of) as I purchased a 2021 two-door Islander for my daughter. Well after driving it probably as much as she has, I’ve decided to treat myself as well (my current DD is 15 years old). I’ve settled on an Islander as well mainly for the wheels - no one on the planet hates the black wheel trend more than I do, and most other models those or grey are the only choices. There are a few other Islander-specific things I like as well including the white dash inserts as well as the option of a white hardtop. In talking with my dealer we realized the Islander is being discontinued and you can no longer place an order. I did a search and found exactly what I “would” order on the lot at a dealership 240 miles away. I called, and they are at MSRP. I was able to haggle a bit on the two-door I bought, so paying MSRP just rubs me wrong. So simple question - this thing has an MSRP of $46,500. If this were two years ago and pre-covid, what could I reasonably have expected off? I’ll probably purchase it anyway, but would be nice to know. Thanks!!! Jeff
Any chance you have Affiliate through work? They may at least honor the 1% rebate off invoice.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Hi all,

If you haven’t purchased yet get ahold of Gupton in Tennessee they’ll do under invoice 8% I believe.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JMRM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander
Jeep Wrangler JL MSRP question 1628121793751

A picture is worth a 1000 words. From WSJ, includes all new cars per JDPower data thru June.

Dealer cost is usually ~ 8% or so below MSRP, which seems a little stiff even in today's tight market, tbh.
That’s a great chart but it does lump all makes together. Even pre-covid some family members bought various Honda’s and those are difficult to get a ton off of MSRP. However you could have walked into a Chevy dealer and been able to get $10,000 off of almost anything. Just wondering where Wranglers fall on this chart.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
That won't matter if Gupton can't order the trim he wants.
Why not? Islander going away in 2022? Judging by how he doesn’t want to pay MSRP he’d most likely just wait for an ordered unit.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That’s a great chart but it does lump all makes together. Even pre-covid some family members bought various Honda’s and those are difficult to get a ton off of MSRP. However you could have walked into a Chevy dealer and been able to get $10,000 off of almost anything. Just wondering where Wranglers fall on this chart.
Pre-chip shortage I regularly saw people mention 6-8% below invoice. This year, that seems be only be common for orders with high volume dealers. If you want something that's on a dealer lot, MSRP seems more common now. Some dealers won't even honor affiliate programs right now apparently.

OP
OP

JMRM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander
Why not? Islander going away in 2022? Judging by how he doesn’t want to pay MSRP he’d most likely just wait for an ordered unit.
Yep apparently one year only - 2021.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The OP said in his original post that the Islander trim couldn't be ordered currently.
It's also not on the current order guides, so it sounds like it's already done.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-jeep-wrangler-jl-and-jlu-order-guides.52367/
In talking with my dealer we realized the Islander is being discontinued and you can no longer place an order.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Agreed, and don't know, personally, since the data are expensive to get.

I bought 8% below MSRP / 3% below FWP as late as April 2021 if that helps at all - though an admittedly small sample size with n=1, and the market has tightened considerably since then.

I found this site charting used Wrangler prices over time by model year interesting, and the escalation of used prices across the board starting in Q2 probably could serve as a poor man's proxy as to whether discounts were/weren't available in recent months. Not really encouraging.

My guess is Springfield TN is the best option for a discount given your location, but not sure what part of KY you live in.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Counter offer. This is the art of a deal. Under pre Covid conditions, when inventory was plentiful, I would say about $4k off of that sticker would be a very good deal. These days MSRP is a fair deal.

My sister was recently shopping Islanders but gave up, as the few left out there were priced a few thousand over sticker. They would not even entertain an offer of MSRP. She wound up buying a year old used Sport S in Bikini Pearl for $14k less than the Islander. But, she would have paid MSRP for the Islander because it had all of the features she wanted.

Try offering $2k off of MSRP, 2 doors are a tougher sell and they may go for it or they may counter. If it's everything you want then buy it. If your principals are so strong on not ever paying MSRP then don't. But you wont be enjoying your Jeep. You said it yourself, they aren't making them anymore, for a few years anyway.

As for me, I wouldn't let $2k take away that which I desire. You can make that up with some overtime or working an extra job for a couple weeks. Don't let all of these guys who say that they paid XX% under invoice get in your head. The days of those deals are quickly fading along with dealer inventories.

There doesn't seem to be any major improvements in chip availability. Gladiator production was stopped to funnel more chips into Wranglers. Who knows when 2022s will be out or what the MSRP increases will be.

I would go so far as to say that if anyone wants to buy a new Jeep there is probably no better time than the present. Our economy is balanced on a razor edge right now. Interest rates are still incredibly low, but I doubt they will be for long.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Don't let all of these guys who say that they paid XX% under invoice get in your head. The days of those deals are quickly fading along with dealer inventories.
I disagree. I think we are quickly returning to those days.
Sponsored