Sponsored

mpg's on 37's in 2.0

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Last tank was 18.0 MPG on my 37x13.50r17 Ridge Grapplers.

The big drop down from 21 was expected - I did not keep my MPG display up on the dash intentionally, and drove for the entire tank like I was 16 and it was my first vehicle. Ok, maybe not that bad, I but hit it hard at almost every stoplight, had high speeds on the highway - I hit my own top speed in the JL of 90 MPH, and cruised at 75 MPH most of the time on the highway, sometimes 80.

I checked the MPG when I parked at the pump and all of that insane driving cost me only 3 MPGs over the opposite extreme of very conservative driving. Interesting.

I'm doing another tank of aggressive driving right now, and then might just do a normal drive and see where that lands.
Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I've got the 3.6 but I'm running Cooper STT Pros 37x13.5 on Mopar Beadlocks. Last week I drove from Dallas to Birmingham (over 600 miles). Stayed the week for work and then drove back Friday. On the way out, I kept it at 65mph. My average was 18.8MPG. On my drive back, I drove 75-80 and I averaged about 16.7mpg. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with that for 37" tires.
My 2016 diesel Denali got 13-15 MPG on 37s...that's awesome!

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I'm at 20.6 MPG, for this tank of gas. It's hovering between 20.6 and 20.7 but when I got out of the car this morning, it was 20.6.

This is on premium (93) at Giant Eagle's "Get Go" line of gas stations. A mix of highway and city driving - just about 50/50 mix, I'd estimate.

I keep it around 72-74 on the highway, I've seen that going 75-80 kills the MPGs. I don't drive like a grandma but I'm also not accelerating hard from lights, I'd say I'm pretty average in my driving habits right now.

This is with Ridge Grapplers, their larger 13.5" width in the 37" height variant (E load, and nice and heavy).
Sooo basically yr not saving any money lol.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on a lot of factors and you can't determine what your's will be. The average mpg gauge on the cluster has a plus/minus accuracy. The EPA figures are based on a computer simulation with one Wrangler (the lightest weight model no options) for each motor type. EPA estimates 1% to 2% decrease in mpg for each 100 pounds you add such as fuel, people, bigger tires/wheels, steel bumpers, lifts, roof racks, etc. Differences in temperature, grades, driving habits, speeds/congestion, fuel performance (especially for the turbo) have impact. I'd say if mileage is a factor for you strip it to the bone, only carry anorexic passengers, don't drive over 45 mph, and put on front sloping fairings plus some on the sides and one of those sail fairings you see on the back of semi trailers. Otherwise worry if you get < 1 mpg or > than 27 mpg. If the latter sell it back to Jeep for a fortune so they can figure out how it is getting such good mileage.

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
My 2019 JL rubicon with 2.0 and 37”
SST’s only gets ~14mpg above 65mph but below gets ~20mpg. I have a Motobilt front bumper. Is it possible the bad aerodynamics of the bumper is part of the reason? If so do you think a bumper like the below photo would improve mileage? If so is there a guess on the impact? Thanks

50A321FC-3571-4DA2-81EF-1E282BBB7647.jpeg

6F7343D4-E266-4E31-80FA-8BE7CA333F66.jpeg

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
‘19 Rubicon, Sky One Touch, Plastic Bumpers, 2.5” RC Spacer lift w/ 37x12.50 Toyo R/Ts & Mopar Beadlocks gets about 16.3 mpg with about 50% highway 50% city use with 900 miles on it so far. Just put a dynomax muffler delete & AFE dry air filter on it, but that’s only about 100 miles worth of driving so far.

It can get 18-19 mpg on the highway, but if it’s windy it goes down to 11-12 mpg.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
2dr Rubi soft top with 37s. Driving normal on the highway (65mph) I get as high as 23mpg. Spirited driving, gunning out of every corner or curves in the back roads I can get low as 16mpg. Hand calculated at the pump Im averaging 18mpg. Rear seat removed which probably weighs around 100lbs, yes its heavy lol. Helps compensate for the 37s. Im relatively close to stock weight, maybe 40lbs over.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
First tank of gas, now into 2nd -- averaging 21 mpg. Mixed 50/50 City/Highway. Fully loaded Rubi with steel bumpers, hard top, KO2's (stock). I do keep my highway between 65-70. Traffic so I can't really go much faster. Got 435 miles on the first tank with basically no range left.

If I drive 75 and don't really pay attention, I'd probably average 18-19.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Highway kills mpg cause your in the boost the entire time to maintain speed, esp north of 65-70
Yep, speed is everything with gas milage. Drag (wind resistance) goes up exponentially with speed. That keeps the turbo boosting and sucking down the fuel. (Also keeps the turbo hot, which is harder on the turbo's bearing lubrication.) Getting in the habit of leaving 10 minutes early and keeping it at or below 65 can save a heck of a lot of fuel $$ over the course of a year, and put a lot less wear and tear on your mental and physical health too if you live in a high traffic part of the country. Not to mention being a bit safer (these are high-centered roll-over-prone vehicles after all), and can save you speeding ticket fines and points and insurance hikes on your license... As someone who used to have a really heavy foot on the pedal his whole life, it has been really hard for me to get into the "leave 10 minutes earlier" habit, but, wow, is it really is a better option if you can swing it.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
First tank of gas, now into 2nd -- averaging 21 mpg. Mixed 50/50 City/Highway. Fully loaded Rubi with steel bumpers, hard top, KO2's (stock). I do keep my highway between 65-70. Traffic so I can't really go much faster. Got 435 miles on the first tank with basically no range left.

If I drive 75 and don't really pay attention, I'd probably average 18-19.
Not sure what the break-in characteristics of the 2.0 are, but I would not be surprised if it gets better milage after it loosens up for 10,000 miles or so. A lot of motors make a bit more power and economy at 30K miles than they do at 1k miles.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Has anyone towed anything with the 2.0, 4.10 and 37s? I know this is an MPG thread but we have guys with 37s hanging out here so I thought I'd ask. I will only be towing an 18' ish duck boat or a UTV. Nothing above 2500-3000 lbs.
The crazy LiteBrite YouTube team just started towing 2x2 on an aluminum trailer with their lifted JLUR on 38s. They have the 3.6L and 8-spd auto. Roughly the same torque and hp numbers and they are reporting good results in terms of driving feel and bad results in terms of milage - 13ish. FUEL ECONOMY TOWING With Our 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon!

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
could it be the lift that decreases the mileage?
Everything I have heard and read says a lift definitely does hurt milage, and basic logic would support that - much more exposed components means more turbulence and more drag. A big question in my mind is whether putting a full belly pan (especially a lighter aluminum one) gets you some of your milage back, or if it is a wash because most of the drag around the axles and steering components and wheel wells anyway?

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
The crazy LiteBrite YouTube team just started towing 2x2 on an aluminum trailer with their lifted JLUR on 38s. They have the 3.6L and 8-spd auto. Roughly the same torque and hp numbers and they are reporting good results in terms of driving feel and bad results in terms of milage - 13ish. FUEL ECONOMY TOWING With Our 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon!
haven't towed mine on a long trip yet other than local ride areas 50 miles or less mostly back roads. Getting about 11mpg. 7x12 enclosed loaded with a SXS. Combined trailer/load approx.3000 lbs.

etyzJXhzQ3i9y7LBPn2R%w.jpg

%s5H51I7T9m2sZkOYY6kmA.jpg
Sponsored