Sponsored

MPGE vs MPG

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
I've been checking out some of the Jeep dealerships that have put in formation about the Wrangler 4XE on their websites. If you have a dealership, please make sure your information does not say that the Wrangler 4XE will get 50MPG. I'm concerned that the lack of understanding about what MPGe is will create some very upset owners. If you are a dealer or a sales manager and would like to better understand what MPGe is, please shoot me a message.
Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Does anyone know how big the fuel tank is in a 4xe? I’ve seen it listed as 17.2 gallons but I couldn’t find anywhere where Jeep specified.

Jeep is saying it can go 400 miles on a tank of gas. Using that figure it only looks like it would get a little over 23 mpg. Unless I’m missing something!

Last edited:

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Jeep is saying it can go 400 miles on a tank of gas. Using that figure it only looks like it would get a little over 23 mpg. Unless I’m missing something!
That is my understanding as well, unless the EPA is disputing the range, &/or they decided to put a smaller battery in it-

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
That is my understanding as well, unless the EPA is disputing the range, &/or they decided to put a smaller battery in it-
The more I research the fuel/mileage situation the more confused I get. 23 MPG isn't great. What would be worse is if they're saying that 400 mile range includes the 25 miles you'd get on electric only (meaning 375 miles on the gas in the tank... which is about 22 MPG). I am basing the "400 miles on a tank of gas" idea as in that if you fueled up and fully charged the battery and hit the road that you would go 400 miles... I assume that's what they're saying but I'm not sure.

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
They said 'Almost 400 mile range' early on in the videos, I'd assume that means total possible range regardless of what's propelling the Jeep? But there has been Zero reviews by actual real people so nobody really knows. :whatsgoingon:
I am not a hater at All I want this to be a huge success but the lack of communication on a complicated new vehicle does not bode well.

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
22 or 23 miles per gallon on a very non aerodynamic vehicle while getting 350 hp and 470 torque is pretty good. If you drive less then 25 miles a day, it is even better. Check out the 392 gas mileage....

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I would love to learn from @Chris Hall about MPGe and how it is calculated? I always felt it was kind of an illusive number and very hard to track accurately. Only from experience as my wife had a Prius Hybrid at one point and that car never came close to the claimed MPGe. Yet others who only drove their cars the 14 miles on electric and would come home and charge before the next errand would get like triple the MPGe . I think regular ICE MPG is a little more defined, easy to check yourself at each fillup.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
If the jeep is like most hybrids it won't get dramatically better mileage on the open road. I would guess the jeep would be even less likely because of its shape and being 500#s heavier. On the open road I would say the biggest advantage is just the amount of power you have available.

Now for around town this should be huge. Pretty much just being able to use battery power for daily things will be great. Very few town trips around here that are longer than 25 miles. Also hybrids are much better for stops and starts. And hey 22 or 23 MPG on the open road is not too bad for what a jeep is.

I will be curious how much MPG and range I will lose with 35" tires and the electric motor. I would guess that the electric motor may be able to handle it a little better than the gas. I know on my f150 I lost about 3-4 MPG going from stock tires to 34".

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
22 or 23 miles per gallon on a very non aerodynamic vehicle while getting 350 hp and 470 torque is pretty good. If you drive less then 25 miles a day, it is even better. Check out the 392 gas mileage....
Agreed. The real advantage is the higher efficen
I would love to learn from @Chris Hall about MPGe and how it is calculated? I always felt it was kind of an illusive number and very hard to track accurately. Only from experience as my wife had a Prius Hybrid at one point and that car never came close to the claimed MPGe. Yet others who only drove their cars the 14 miles on electric and would come home and charge before the next errand would get like triple the MPGe . I think regular ICE MPG is a little more defined, easy to check yourself at each fillup.
If you can see your Miler Per Kilowatt Hour, then you can use this calculator to convert to MPGe.
https://www.inchcalculator.com/conv...Mzwjj8XdvKTykpfs-5n5COWvt_cF5ezqX_pkwQWtf6yoE

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Thank for the calculator. From the looks of it the 50 MPGe may just be an electric only number. For plug in hybrids it would be nice if they gave two numbers. One in hybrid mode for City and Highway. The other just electric. I am guessing that even in hybrid only the jeep uses more battery power with a full battery than closer to empty so I guess that would be a factor too.

Really looking forward to some real world numbers. Hope some of you start getting your jeeps soon. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago.

Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Thank for the calculator. From the looks of it the 50 MPGe may just be an electric only number. For plug in hybrids it would be nice if they gave two numbers. One in hybrid mode for City and Highway. The other just electric. I am guessing that even in hybrid only the jeep uses more battery power with a full battery than closer to empty so I guess that would be a factor too.

Really looking forward to some real world numbers. Hope some of you start getting your jeeps soon. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago.
Real world numbers would be nice! @Chris Hall 's Fuelly link is interesting for sure, but as mentioned, it would be nice to have some context on the conditions/terrain/temp/etc.

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
There's no "magic" in these vehicles. Simplifying things down, there are effectively two different drivetrains in PHEVs - a gas powertrain and an EV powertrain. The gas powertrain will get very similar MPG on the highway as the standard 2.0 engine option - ~24 MPG. It will do slightly better than the 2.0 in the city because it can more effectively use regenerative braking - so figure 22-23 MPG in the city vs. the base 21 MPG. Where things get complicated, and where the real advantage of the 4xe comes in, is the EV powertrain. If you plug the car in every night, and drive <20 miles per day, you'll almost never use the gas engine - so your MPG will be in the 100+ range. Your MPGe (which is the EPAs version of equating electric efficiency to gas efficiency will be ~50MPGe).

For your total estimated MPG - well, unlike a regular car, it will differ substantially based on usage (how often you plug-in, how much you drive on EV only). This is what makes it so confusing and very hard to compare to normal cars and it really can't be boiled down to 1 number, because it's so user dependent.

In short, this car will be super efficient for those that drive less then 20 miles between charge opportunities. For those that don't charge it, it will be only a tiny bit more efficient than the 2.0 etorque because of slight better regenerative braking, somewhat offset by additional weight.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
As I understand it MPGe is a number that gives you a comparison to the cost of gas in a traditional car. So a pure electric vehicle that gets 50 MPGe that number is telling you that the cost they expect you to pay for the electricity to go 100 miles is about the same as what a traditional car that gets 50 MPG would cost in gas.

For a plug in hybrid, like the 4xe is (or the prius prime, or the chevy volt, or the chrysler pacifica) needs two sets of numbers. A MPGe for when you're running on electric only, and a MPG for when you're running on gas. It's not possible to combine those two numbers into one that is usable in anyway. With the 4xe the first 25 miles your cost of electricity will be equivalent to that of a 50 MPG car. past that when you're running on gas you'll be getting Wrangler fuel economy.

Of course MPGe kind of goes out the window when you start getting free charging at the grocery store you're shopping at or the restaurant you're eating at or at your work.....

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
As I understand it MPGe is a number that gives you a comparison to the cost of gas in a traditional car. So a pure electric vehicle that gets 50 MPGe that number is telling you that the cost they expect you to pay for the electricity to go 100 miles is about the same as what a traditional car that gets 50 MPG would cost in gas.

For a plug in hybrid, like the 4xe is (or the prius prime, or the chevy volt, or the chrysler pacifica) needs two sets of numbers. A MPGe for when you're running on electric only, and a MPG for when you're running on gas. It's not possible to combine those two numbers into one that is usable in anyway. With the 4xe the first 25 miles your cost of electricity will be equivalent to that of a 50 MPG car. past that when you're running on gas you'll be getting Wrangler fuel economy.

Of course MPGe kind of goes out the window when you start getting free charging at the grocery store you're shopping at or the restaurant you're eating at or at your work.....
well said!

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I like the idea of the 4xe, but it wouldn't work for me. I have actually been browsing Rivians for the better half. Mostly because they are somewhat local and decent range.. My question is what is the actual range. Is the 25 miles in town slow stop n go? How far will it go at 65? Will the battery make it a full tank? Or am I stuck with just the 4 cylinder after 100 miles of driving? Is the winter range comparable to summer range? I assume a lift and large tires would kill the electric range. There is a pretty good range penalty for just putting larger rims on a Tesla according to there literature. If someone has the answers please enlighten me. Also if anyone has a knowledgeable opinion on a rivian feel free. I know I know it's a Jeep site.
Sponsored