First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
Hey everyone, I've been noticing a significant decrease in MPG after I had the steering damper recall fixed and my system flashed with the update for the AC fan. Over the past year Ive been averaging 19.5-22 MPG city and 23-27 highway (I took a 1000+ mile trip to Acadia NP and I believe I averaged about 25/26 MPG).

After the system update and steering damper fix Im averaging 17-18 MPG. I have a 2018 JLU Sport S (3.6L). Has anyone had similar issues or is this to be expected?

Thanks for your help and insight!
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had the steering damper replaced but that won't impact mpgs. It's only a shock. The A/C fan sounding like a jet shouldn't have any bearing on mpgs either.

OP
OP
ThinkOutdoors

ThinkOutdoors

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
Retailers can start selling winter-blend gas on Sept. 15th. How does your MPG this week compare to the same week last year?
Honestly I didn't know that they did that but that's great info (makes sense now that I think about it). Last winter I averaged in the low 20s so it still seems off. I dont keep historical data but, I should also clarify that I am solely stating this based off the reading from the dash.

OP
OP
ThinkOutdoors

ThinkOutdoors

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
I've only had the steering damper replaced but that won't impact mpgs. It's only a shock. The A/C fan sounding like a jet shouldn't have any bearing on mpgs either.
That's what I thought too. Im no expert but I can't see how any of those things would affect my MPG. Maybe its the different blend of fuel Mr.Mischief mentioned or perhaps I've been driving differently. Next time I fill up Im going to try a different gas station than I normally use to see if that changes anything.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same work done back around September and no change to MPG. It has to be something else.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey everyone, I've been noticing a significant decrease in MPG after I had the steering damper recall fixed and my system flashed with the update for the AC fan. Over the past year Ive been averaging 19.5-22 MPG city and 23-27 highway (I took a 1000+ mile trip to Acadia NP and I believe I averaged about 25/26 MPG).

After the system update and steering damper fix Im averaging 17-18 MPG. I have a 2018 JLU Sport S (3.6L). Has anyone had similar issues or is this to be expected?

Thanks for your help and insight!
Winter gas?

OP
OP
ThinkOutdoors

ThinkOutdoors

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
Hey everyone it seems like it could be A. Winter gas blend and I didnt realize the MPG average going down over the course of 2 months or B. Its due to a new gas station that Ive been going to for the past 2 months...I'll change the gas station for 2 weeks and see if anything changes, if not it must be the gas-blend. I dont remember it being it this low last winter but I guess Ill have to wait until the Summer to see ;). Thanks for all of your help!

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
The dash indicator is not accurate and the reflash may have affected the calculation or reset some learned parameters.
Calculate mpg tank to tank is the only way to get true mpg, You will not be happy as the dash is normally very optimistic.. I track every tank with the fuely app.

OP
OP
ThinkOutdoors

ThinkOutdoors

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
The dash indicator is not accurate and the reflash may have affected the calculation or reset some learned parameters.
Calculate mpg tank to tank is the only way to get true mpg, You will not be happy as the dash is normally very optimistic.. I track every tank with the fuely app.
Thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure to check out the app. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed haha ;)
Sponsored