MPG and Range on the Ecodiesel

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
My experience echoes yours. My regens start at 80% and drop it down to 10%. If I interrupt the process, it won't recur until it reaches 80% again. Two other random observations:
  • Recently I was running an errand when a regen started. I experimented by leaving the Jeep running, locking the door, and running in to pick up my lunch - hoping the process would continue. It was still showing "on" when I exited the truck. Five minutes later, when I returned to the parking lot, the regen had stopped at some point midstream. Maybe as soon as I locked the door?
  • On two occasions the regen seemed to "get stuck" at a lower level, like 40%, and wouldn't drop any further. When I stopped the Jeep, the level immediately dropped to 10%. Not sure if it was a Scangauge issue or a Jeep issue as to why the display froze.
I think this is due to the sensors and their reporting scheme. Both of my newer diesel vehicles do this. The display showing the soot mass load seems to jump erratically the closer to 'empty' it gets. Steady fall from 78-80 and then somewhere around the 30's and 20's it jumps way down. Also they both seem to shoot past the low point and then bounce around there before they start their normal steady climb.

I don't believe there is anything wrong when this happens. Seems kinda sorta similar to how your distance to empty or range display will fluctuate. Nothing is really changing except the computers interpretation of the information it is seeing. Apples and oranges comparison I know.
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Also curious how ESS behaves during active regen. I hope it goes into "not ready" mode during the process.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also curious how ESS behaves during active regen. I hope it goes into "not ready" mode during the process.
I wouldn't know. We bought the little deal that keeps it on one setting all the time, which we have it set to off.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I think this is due to the sensors and their reporting scheme. Both of my newer diesel vehicles do this. The display showing the soot mass load seems to jump erratically the closer to 'empty' it gets. Steady fall from 78-80 and then somewhere around the 30's and 20's it jumps way down. Also they both seem to shoot past the low point and then bounce around there before they start their normal steady climb.

I don't believe there is anything wrong when this happens. Seems kinda sorta similar to how your distance to empty or range display will fluctuate. Nothing is really changing except the computers interpretation of the information it is seeing. Apples and oranges comparison I know.
I believe a differential pressure sensor is used as the means to determine the amount of restriction from soot loading. I suppose as the restriction is becoming less and less, so is the pressure drop, and thereā€™s less and less measurement resolution as it approaches 0%. So like you said, itā€˜s probably difficult to measure accurately down there.

MacnJill

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge green Wrangler JLU Willy's diesel
Occupation
US Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We just set off on a 3700+ mile road trip. Colorado Springs to Wilmington, NC. We had the oil changed this morning before setting out. Even though thereā€™s less than 5k miles on the odometer. So far we are amazed at the results. This is all highway driving @70mph. My wifeā€™s foot is lighter than mine! Iā€™ll post our average once we get to our destination.

7F7F7008-D3F6-4AA3-83F1-1B8B54FD038A.jpeg

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
We just set off on a 3700+ mile road trip. Colorado Springs to Wilmington, NC. We had the oil changed this morning before setting out. Even though thereā€™s less than 5k miles on the odometer. So far we are amazed at the results. This is all highway driving @70mph. My wifeā€™s foot is lighter than mine! Iā€™ll post our average once we get to our destination.

Jeep Wrangler JL MPG and Range on the Ecodiesel 7F7F7008-D3F6-4AA3-83F1-1B8B54FD038A
Mac, do you have a gauge to monitor your soot levels? It would be interesting to see if you can cross the country on passive regeneration only.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
OH! This may explain my experience the other day. Driving across town (after the engine was warm) I thought it was weird that the ESS was not turning off the engine when stopped at traffic lights. Maybe it was because of a regeneration. It finally turned off the engine when I stopped in the driveway.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mac, do you have a gauge to monitor your soot levels? It would be interesting to see if you can cross the country on passive regeneration only.
One or more of the folks here have pretty definitively stated that the system will perform an active regen no matter what the system status is every 800 miles.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
One or more of the folks here have pretty definitively stated that the system will perform an active regen no matter what the system status is every 800 miles.
Thatā€™s right - I forgot about that.

Sponsored

MacnJill

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t have such a device and 6500 I have yet to witness any regeneration. I think this is probably due to my 99% highway commute daily.

MacnJill

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So after driving from Colorado Springs to Wilmington,NC. Weā€™ve averaged 26.5mpg. We could have achieved much higher mpg but there were thunderstorms and a strong headwind almost the entire way. Canā€™t wait to see what we get on the way back.

Attachments

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
So after driving from Colorado Springs to Wilmington,NC. Weā€™ve averaged 26.5mpg. We could have achieved much higher mpg but there were thunderstorms and a strong headwind almost the entire way. Canā€™t wait to see what we get on the way back.
Impressive mileage especially with strong head winds. Thanks for posting-up. Awaiting delivery of my JLURD here in San Diego.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Just drove a straight, flat highway stretch fro Phoenix (1100 ft elev) to Lake Havasu City (700 ft elev). Not bad for highway speeds! This shows my range to be well over 500 miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL MPG and Range on the Ecodiesel 39D300BC-6F0A-44F5-AC47-D1307FC96AAC
Jeep Wrangler JL MPG and Range on the Ecodiesel 990A0B42-3195-49C3-9282-DDC383AF97B4

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I definitely noticed the ammonia smell during a regen while on the highway. Not pleasant at all.
Sponsored