MP Concepts Aluminum Bumper Fitment Issues

XyloSesame

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tuscadero Sport S
Let's get the "you get what you pay for" out of the way.

I have a 2021 Sport S that came with the OE plastic bumper. For my first driveway mod, I purchased an MP Concepts aluminum bumper from Extreme Terrain knowing that it may be a tricky install. Horrible packing, no instructions, missing hardware, broken plastic tabs, paint and finish issues -- this was all expected from my research and I was lucky enough to get them all.

The bolts don't match the frame bracket. Fine. Searching the forum I see this can happen and you open a hole or two on the frame bracket with a step bit to allow for variance. However, the winch mounting plate absolutely will not fit between the frame brackets. Nothing will get the plate to sit between the frame mounts because it is simply too wide by "just enough"; I tried approach angles, greasing, brute force, but nothing will make it slide into place. So I'm left with a bumper with bolts that don't align and a winch plate that is a hair too wide. Since neither fit, I'm wondering if it is manufacturing tolerances with a mass-produced inexpensive bumper or if my JL is wonky. Are there general issues with frame mount tolerances?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Do you have any pics of the areas where it does not fit? I am curious as this bumper is on the top of my list for what I want to replace my Sport S bumper, and I also have a 2021 (April/May '21 build date).

EZPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I just got mine and haven't installed it yet. The reason I got it was other threads posted no issues. Extreme Terrain has pics of others having the same install. Now i'm worried.

OP
OP
XyloSesame

XyloSesame

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tuscadero Sport S
I just got mine and haven't installed it yet. The reason I got it was other threads posted no issues. Extreme Terrain has pics of others having the same install. Now i'm worried.
The one I purchased was listed "out of box used - good" so there could have easily been multiple failure points in my case that may not apply to others... I saw many posts and reviews from people who had no issues as well.

Do you have any pics of the areas where it does not fit? I am curious as this bumper is on the top of my list for what I want to replace my Sport S bumper, and I also have a 2021 (April/May '21 build date).
Unfortunately I deleted the pics when I purchased a different bumper. The winch plate could have easily been hit with a grinder to fit and the bolt holes could have been widened to allow for the needed adjustments. However, by this point I was too frustrated and called it quits.
Sponsored