tmac1521

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport
Hi all,
I am moving to Minnesota from San Diego for school. I love being out doors from snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking etc. I currently drive a Kia Forte and want to upgrade to something bigger. I found a 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport with 41k miles for a great price in San Diego and would drive it from SD to Minnesota. I am not the most knowledgeable about Jeepā€™s and have been doing a lot of research on my own, but just wanted help to see if this is a good call purchase. My main concern is the engine I have been seeing a lot of mixed reviews about 3.8L engine. Is 2010 a good year to purchase and will it be a good car to handle MN winters?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hi all,
I am moving to Minnesota from San Diego for school. I love being out doors from snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking etc. I currently drive a Kia Forte and want to upgrade to something bigger. I found a 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport with 41k miles for a great price in San Diego and would drive it from SD to Minnesota. I am not the most knowledgeable about Jeepā€™s and have been doing a lot of research on my own, but just wanted help to see if this is a good call purchase. My main concern is the engine I have been seeing a lot of mixed reviews about 3.8L engine. Is 2010 a good year to purchase and will it be a good car to handle MN winters?
2010 is a JK, this forum is for the 2018+ JL, but thereā€™s plenty of repeat offenders here that will probably chime in with some advice.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I live in the great white north. Plenty of JKs on the road here. Wranglers do well in snow if you donā€™t drive like a moron. Like any vehicle, the grip on the tires goes down when the temp plunges, so winter tires are not a bad idea. The extra ground clearance is good for unplowed roads. I canā€™t speak to the 3.8L reliability firsthand, only from what I have read.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In the 1980s I moved from Peru, South America to Sudbury, ON, Canada, to attend school. It was a complete shock.

In hindsight I am glad I experienced 4 years of winter in northern Canada; now I can say Iā€™ve done it and I donā€™t want to have anything to do with it.

Per a 2010 Wrangler...itā€™s not the most desirable year for a Wrangler.

Iā€™d drive the Forte to MN and figure out what you want/need once you get there. You will find that a lot people get around in the frozen snow perfectly fine in FWD sedans; much of it is driver skill.

ā€œFargoā€ is one of my all-time favorite movies; it depicts very realistically whatā€™s like to live in the frozen tundra. Hereā€™s the opening scene

Good luck.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
In the 1980s I moved from Peru, South America to Sudbury, ON, Canada, to attend school. It was a complete shock.

In hindsight I am glad I experienced 4 years of winter in northern Canada; now I can say Iā€™ve done it and I donā€™t want to have anything to do with it.

Iā€™d drive the Forte to MN and figure out what you want/need once you get there. You will find that a lot people get around in the frozen snow perfectly fine in FWD sedans; much of it is driver skill.

ā€œFargoā€ is one of my all-time favorite movies; it depicts very realistically whatā€™s like to live in the frozen tundra. Hereā€™s the opening scene

Good luck.
If you are going to get a Wrangler, get it in San Diego before you leave. There's a lot of rust buckets in Minnesota due to the chemicals used on the roads in the winter.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hi all,
How much is the 2010 you are interested in? What is your budget?

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr

Good luck.
Iā€™m from Toronto and I would find life in the Big Nickel to be a surprise ā€¦ =)

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
If you are going to get a Wrangler, get it in San Diego before you leave. There's a lot of rust buckets in Minnesota due to the chemicals used on the roads in the winter.
From my very limited experience there are more rust buckets on the coast than you think! My son left Kansas for San Diego with his 2008 Mazda with no rust and came back 6 months later with a lot more rust. I'd take a northern car with half year exposure and car washes over one that lives in the salt air, breathes desert dust and constant sun exposure year round any day. A quick look over underneath and along panel edges will tell you what you need to know either way.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
If I were you Iā€™d look for another vehicle. The 3.8 has a reputation for burning oil and is a little under powered. If looking at Jks Iā€™d look for ā€˜13 or newer because in 2012 they switched to the still used 3.6. 2012s had a cylinder head issue, although I didnā€™t on mine. My biggest reason to pass though is wranglers in snow. They arenā€™t the best vehicles for the inexperienced in snow driving. 4wd is all or nothing. You are either in 2wd or 4wd. The vehicle doesnā€™t automatically do this for you. And you canā€™t switch to 4wd above 45mph and 4wd on dry surfaces will cause binding. So thereā€™s alot of switching in and out of 4wd. A lot of times I get caught in 2wd when I wanted to be in 4wd. This especially happens when turning on plowed to unplowed surfaces. If you are caught in 2wd, it can fish tail on you. Now a good set of tires will do a lot to help. In my opinion awd vehicles with a good set of tires are best for snow.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
From my very limited experience there are more rust buckets on the coast than you think! My son left Kansas for San Diego with his 2008 Mazda with no rust and came back 6 months later with a lot more rust. I'd take a northern car with half year exposure and car washes over one that lives in the salt air, breathes desert dust and constant sun exposure year round any day. A quick look over underneath and along panel edges will tell you what you need to know either way.
As a person who frequently looks at Wranglers on the Minneapolis Craigslist, my advice is to not count on finding a rust free Wrangler there for a reasonable price. A person should at least look at Wranglers before they move from the San Diego area.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Brrr... Make sure that you have the correct antifreeze 50/50 Mix. I hope that you will have a garage to keep it in, during the -30Ā° nights. Its best to install a new Battery in it, and use 5W20 Synthetic oil in your 3.8 engine.
Good Luck.........

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Brrr... Make sure that you have the correct antifreeze 50/50 Mix. I hope that you will have a garage to keep it in, during the -30Ā° nights. Its best to install a new Battery in it, and use 5W20 Synthetic oil in your 3.8 engine.
Good Luck.........
And swap the washer fluid to low temp!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m from Toronto and I would find life in the Big Nickel to be a surprise ā€¦ =)
True but funny story: when I first landed in TO, the immigration officer refused to grant me the 4-year student visa I was entitled to. He said ā€œyou will be switching schools after your first year; you wonā€™t like it up there. We we will renew your visa then...ā€

I think I stayed there all 4 years just to prove him wrong... šŸ˜«

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
One thing you most likely won't find on a Jeep in San Diego is the block heater. If you have to park outside it is definitely worth having a block heater to keep the oil more fluid. :)

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You dont need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to live in the upper midwest. Believe me, been here my whole life. Most FWD vehicles will do just fine. Esp if your in a populated area like a college campus where they will plow religiously. Keep your Kia. Dont make a knee jerk reaction to a situation you have no experience with.
Sponsored