Sponsored

Moving Jeep While Door is Ajar - Trans Goes to Park???

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You can defeat this, and the Chime, by using a short seat belt extension that plugs into the female end for the drivers side. I leave mine installed permanently. Amazon has them...
Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Ok, figures it’s some kinda government safety feature to protect us from ourselves :facepalm:
Been driving 40 years and ain’t run over myself yet :)
Somebody let me know if there’s a disconnect for this please!
It's actually a result of a lawsuit filed when that Star Trek actor failed to put his Grand Cherokee in park and it rolled back and killed him.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That tragedy was due to a poorly designed park indicator, it was hard to tell if actually in Park. A terrible, avoidable loss ...please, always use your Parking Brake...

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
You can defeat this, and the Chime, by using a short seat belt extension that plugs into the female end for the drivers side. I leave mine installed permanently. Amazon has them...
Winner winner

OP
OP
Trailnut

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
That tragedy was due to a poorly designed park indicator, it was hard to tell if actually in Park. A terrible, avoidable loss ...please, always use your Parking Brake...
Perhaps, although I've never had an issue with mine. Lights up on the dash and on the shift indicator.
Seems like everything needs to be made stupid proof anymore.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps, although I've never had an issue with mine. Lights up on the dash and on the shift indicator.
Seems like everything needs to be made stupid proof anymore.
It was in a Grand Cherokee with a stupid shift selector which offers absolutely no tactile or visual feedback on what state your transmission is in beyond the lights on the shifter and dash. It returns to its centered position regardless of what state you last put it in and from videos it looks pretty easy to have accidentally shifted one detent forward into Neutral instead of 3 detents to Park. It's a trash design, period, and probably would have resulted in more deaths had it not happened to a rich an famous actor able to sue FCA to fix it.

Back to the original topic - why are people trying to move their Jeep with a door ajar anyway? I don't understand why the auto-Park is a problem.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
It was in a Grand Cherokee with a stupid shift selector which offers absolutely no tactile or visual feedback on what state your transmission is in beyond the lights on the shifter and dash. It returns to its centered position regardless of what state you last put it in and from videos it looks pretty easy to have accidentally shifted one detent forward into Neutral instead of 3 detents to Park. It's a trash design, period, and probably would have resulted in more deaths had it not happened to a rich an famous actor able to sue FCA to fix it.

Back to the original topic - why are people trying to move their Jeep with a door ajar anyway? I don't understand why the auto-Park is a problem.
The only time i see people open the door is while backing up to line up the car in a spot. Other than that I can’t imagine when you’d wanna open the door.

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT
It happened to me when I was backing up to a trailer to hitch up.... can’t remember if I had my belt on...

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
So, in summary. I can run my self over as long as the door is closed? Got it. :)

Sponsored

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I just did the "delete" to this feature this weekend. It was VERY annoying, so I had to get rid of it.

1. Get in vehicle and put your seat belt on before pushing the start button
2. Push the start button twice (to "Run"), but do not actually start the vehicle (keep your foot off the brake).
3. Once the Jeep is "on", you'll see the seat belt warning indicator on the display. It'll stay lit for a couple seconds. As soon as it turns off, quickly disconnect and reconnect the seat belt at least three separate times.
4. Turn of the Jeep.

After you do this, give it a shot. Mine worked the first try. You still get the "Vehicle Not In Park" warning, but it allows you to drive the Jeep.

Hope this helps!

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
I just did the "delete" to this feature this weekend. It was VERY annoying, so I had to get rid of it.

2. Push the start button twice (to "Run"), but do not actually start the vehicle (keep your foot off the brake).
3. Once the Jeep is "on", you'll see the seat belt warning indicator on the display. It'll stay lit for a couple seconds. As soon as it turns off, quickly disconnect and reconnect the seat belt at least three separate times.
4. Turn of the Jeep.

After you do this, give it a shot. Mine worked the first try. You still get the "Vehicle Not In Park" warning, but it allows you to drive the Jeep.

Hope this helps!
Is this delete a one time procedure to deactivate it in the future, or does this delete procedure need to be done everytime you want to back up with the door open?

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
Is this delete a one time procedure to deactivate it in the future, or does this delete procedure need to be done everytime you want to back up with the door open?
It sticks and is a permanent “fix”.

OP
OP
Trailnut

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)

4. Turn of the Jeep.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info - I’ve give it a try :)

Techbrute

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Tazer also fixes this if you happen to have one already.
Sponsored