Sponsored

Moving From Gladiator to JL 2-Door!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Hey all, I'll be joining the 2-door JL club eventually with the addition of my Gobi Rubi :D I'll be moving from my Gladiator Sport S (with Max Tow - obligatory) and wonder other than a bit bouncier and louder ride, what may I expect? I have a hard top with sound assassins and headliner that hep keep the truck really quite, now I"ll be moving to a soft top and hollowed out tub in the back lol.

I will use this as my DD as I did my JT. I will be taking out the back seat as I almost always drive with just me in there. I will occasionally have a 2nd person in my vehicle but it's rare. I only have a 3rd+ maybe a few times a year, if that. Storage space will be increased with that and I have some molly bags I'll have on the back of the driver and passenger seats for a few extra spots of storage. I'll also have my console vault in my center console.

Was thinking of putting the sound assassin stuff on my whole floor but didn't know if it would be worthwhile. I realize again that I have a soft top and a lot of noise will come through that but would this on the floor help any? https://hotheadheadliners.com/colle...-2-door-sound-assassin?variant=32420261265474
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn I read this quick and thought I had missed the 2 door gladiator announcement lol
Lol nope, sorry.

@ads75 I think that's the best party trick with the 2 door. I'm gladi did my test drive on my own this last time because I tested it on a neighborhood several times and did some circles while testing. I'm sure the dealer would've thought I was a bit crazy.

I'm really excited but I also hope it will take a while to build and get to me so I can have more $ for a down payment.

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Welcome brother to the 2 door Gobi rubi club! We have punch and snacks set up for the long wait ahead.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Damn I read this quick and thought I had missed the 2 door gladiator announcement lol
i did the same thing. i would love to see a 2 door gladiator cuz i would get one for a second jeep.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Sazabi19 my jl base sport is my daily driver and road tripper. tho i have the hard top. i find it not as bad as far as the road noise, etc. i came from a 07 grand cherokee and i have no problem adjusting to a jl.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I edited the title as to hopefully cause less confusion lol.

@cosine Thanks for the input on that :) I think it will be liveable no matter what, just didn't know if anyone had done it or thought it would be a worthwhile mod. I know people think the JT is loud and I find it pretty quiet honestly. Though again, I'm going to a soft top so I know it'll be noisier no matter what.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
You’ll have a giant smile on your face every time you drive it. Two door Jeep is just an experience that never gets old. I will say expect to take turns a little slower off-roading though. The 2 door is a bit of a roller skate in comparison to any other wheelbase.

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll have a giant smile on your face every time you drive it. Two door Jeep is just an experience that never gets old. I will say expect to take turns a little slower off-roading though. The 2 door is a bit of a roller skate in comparison to any other wheelbase.
As someone who always preferred roller blades... what does that mean?

Inthedash

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JLR
@Industrialwrench offers some of the best advice yet. I have both rides currently. The JL is the newer. The JT was my first Jeep experience and love the “truck” but definitely wandered a bit and steering was “loose” and I had big truck big tires previously but hadn’t experienced this. I did the TSB steering box change (aluminum/cast iron) at a local dealership and it tightened things up but did not completely cure the wander. It’s cool, I’ll deal right. The JL I recently purchased (2door Rub) already has the newer cast iron steering box. Regardless it tracks a little better than the JT, but high speeds like 65+ can be a little more exciting if you catch my drift, no pun. Not that this thing is built to race but the local interstates like I-95 and I-16 in GA force those speeds or get run down by everything even tractor trailers fly by when I’m at 70mph. It’s so crazy out there. All that to say watch any knee jerk reactions on the steering at high speeds. I gave it some little test jerks on the wheel, minor, and I could definitely tell this short wheel base, tall little beauty, would take me for a roll or go out of control at best if I did a real maneuver to say quickly avoid some loose retread laying out there or dodge an animal. Sorry animals, you might have to take one here, I’m not rolling my Jeep. So I’m bringing in a steering stabilizer and looking to add the longer LCA’s to give more positive caster in hopes to bring better tracking and stability. Can’t hurt. I added the basic FOX to the JT and it was noticeably better but not “wow”. I’m going to go higher end on the JL with adjustable FOX because I think it needs a littler more help in this category. All my opinion and speculation after reading many threads. If interested I can let you know what these do to the ride of the JLR. Should be happening soon. Though the LCA may ne a little harder to get with all the supply issues and Jeeps are multiplying like rabbits. I’m late the Jeep life but dreams do eventually come true now my kids are mostly grown, or let’s just say adults in age. My wife and I are having a blast pulling this thing behind our small motorhome. The real reason for the JLR in our lives, lighter than the JT. Also why I want more stability. Less wiggle back there. Sorry…that was long winded and TMI I’m sure but I learn a lot from these posts and want to share if it can help someone…MW

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Industrialwrench offers some of the best advice yet. I have both rides currently. The JL is the newer. The JT was my first Jeep experience and love the “truck” but definitely wandered a bit and steering was “loose” and I had big truck big tires previously but hadn’t experienced this. I did the TSB steering box change (aluminum/cast iron) at a local dealership and it tightened things up but did not completely cure the wander. It’s cool, I’ll deal right. The JL I recently purchased (2door Rub) already has the newer cast iron steering box. Regardless it tracks a little better than the JT, but high speeds like 65+ can be a little more exciting if you catch my drift, no pun. Not that this thing is built to race but the local interstates like I-95 and I-16 in GA force those speeds or get run down by everything even tractor trailers fly by when I’m at 70mph. It’s so crazy out there. All that to say watch any knee jerk reactions on the steering at high speeds. I gave it some little test jerks on the wheel, minor, and I could definitely tell this short wheel base, tall little beauty, would take me for a roll or go out of control at best if I did a real maneuver to say quickly avoid some loose retread laying out there or dodge an animal. Sorry animals, you might have to take one here, I’m not rolling my Jeep. So I’m bringing in a steering stabilizer and looking to add the longer LCA’s to give more positive caster in hopes to bring better tracking and stability. Can’t hurt. I added the basic FOX to the JT and it was noticeably better but not “wow”. I’m going to go higher end on the JL with adjustable FOX because I think it needs a littler more help in this category. All my opinion and speculation after reading many threads. If interested I can let you know what these do to the ride of the JLR. Should be happening soon. Though the LCA may ne a little harder to get with all the supply issues and Jeeps are multiplying like rabbits. I’m late the Jeep life but dreams do eventually come true now my kids are mostly grown, or let’s just say adults in age. My wife and I are having a blast pulling this thing behind our small motorhome. The real reason for the JLR in our lives, lighter than the JT. Also why I want more stability. Less wiggle back there. Sorry…that was long winded and TMI I’m sure but I learn a lot from these posts and want to share if it can help someone…MW
Thanks for the insight :) I too did the TSB on my JT but I have to say it really fixed my steering and now it tracks straight and true. Sucks you didn't have the same experience.
Sponsored