Moving from 4 door to 2 door?

jeproctor

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Just picked up a JLR. Not my first jeep but have not had one for about 10 years. From a practical standpoint a four door makes a lot of sense but there is just something about 2 doors that gets my attention every time. Took it to visit my In-laws last weekend and my mother-in-law wanted to take the new jeep out to lunch. I was trying to visualize my wife and 1 of my 80 something year old in-laws crawling into the back seats. We ended up taking 2 vehicles to lunch so that my mother-in-law could get a ride in Jeep. Still glad I got the two door but there are trade off's.
Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’ve had Jeeps of various models since the early 90’s. I’ve loved them all. CJ5, CJ7, KJ, TJ, JK, JKU, JLUR, and JLR. But I gotta say that while a 4-door Jeep offers the most convenience, a 2-door Jeep is where it’s at. Just sold a JLUR in order to take delivery of a 392 JLUR and also own a JLR. I drive the JLR any chance I get.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I have a Sahara soft top but am thinking about moving to a 2 door Willys hard top. In 3 years I think I've had someone in the backseat a total of 4 times (dogs not included). With the 2 door I'd just remove the backseats completely and set up the dogs back there when need be.

I keep telling myself this is probably a stupid idea and creating issues I don't currently have, but I've always liked the look of the 2 door hard top the best so I figure I should at least give it a shot. I ain't getting any younger.

CO JL Rubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2D Rubicon, 2018 JKU Rubicon
Like many here, I have had both. Its a storage and passenger capacity thing...really. Yes the 2dr is a bit more nimble on trails, but its up to you what your needs are for room.

I didn't read the whole thread but the other thing to consider is that aftermarket support isn't as good for a 2 DR. Its not bad, but its not like the 4dr aftermarket parts bonanza....

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
2 door is the true Jeep if you don’t carry passengers. Plenty of cargo area if you flip the rear seat and even more if you remove it, (a 3 min deal).
To me, they look much better. Plus I never take rear passengers. For that I have the Honda Passport…

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
2dr is great for 2 plus the dog. I’d NOT recommend a 2dr if you’re planning on carrying passenger in the back on anything like a regular basis. My last TJ had passenger in back exactly twice in 10 years. It “worked” but access was suboptimal. On the JL the rear seat came out when it got home and will live in the basement until I sell the Jeep.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My JLR has not been a D'D'r , just a towed scout vehicle and off road toy for the last three years. Sold my RV and now I'm rethinking 2 dr. vs 4 dr.. I would like more room. I don't like the '22 motor offerings, which is a delimma. So I'm kicking the can down the road, maybe 2023.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Just picked up a JLR. Not my first jeep but have not had one for about 10 years. From a practical standpoint a four door makes a lot of sense but there is just something about 2 doors that gets my attention every time. Took it to visit my In-laws last weekend and my mother-in-law wanted to take the new jeep out to lunch. I was trying to visualize my wife and 1 of my 80 something year old in-laws crawling into the back seats. We ended up taking 2 vehicles to lunch so that my mother-in-law could get a ride in Jeep. Still glad I got the two door but there are trade off's.
you will be happy with the JLR even with the problems you have to fix to make it like it should be. Took my back seat out. Passenger seat is enough ear chewing. I enjoy peace and quiet and the great out doors. With the vehicle full of people. I can't do that, you will miss something you probably would have enjoyed to see and make a memory of. I guess I'm just different than most. don't really care for people that much. 1 or 2 ok. There is plenty of power in the 3.6 gas pentastar. I thought about a v8 install but after driving the 3.6, don't think so. If you punch it, it goes. 2dr has much better maneuverability, easier to park etc. I personally don't have any trade off's, I have extra vehicles if I need them. To each his own and I can see where a 4 door vehicle is necessary at times with kids, little flesh eating monkeys, family, dogs, cats, and all kinds of creatures. Have fun with your new ride.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Cram/OP,
Wanted to give you my experience: Around September 2021 I traded in my 4 door Rubicon for a 2 door Rubicon since we no longer have our children at home. I lost storage space and cargo area mainly, but I absolutely love my 2 dr...I had a 2 dr TJ back in the day, and it was nice to return to my roots a bit. BTW, I lost maybe 2-3 K since my trade in was valued nearly the same as the new Jeep. The trade off was lower cargo capacity as stated, lower towing 3500 lbs in 4 door vs 2000 lbs 2 door, and the rear cargo tub is now filled with a floor subwoofer. Wish Jeep would mount this to the side like in the 4 dr, but really a non-issue (for me at least). Gained the steel bumpers, larger radio screen, leather, and other improvements. Anyway, there are other trade offs, like trying to find a twill soft top and other parts specific to 2 drs, but I'm OK with that. The nimbleness of the 2 dr vs the 4dr is very different....feels more "Jeepy" to me. Anyway, downsizing for me, with the options I wanted, and the way this 2 dr drives is exactly what I wanted. No offense to those driving a 4 dr...but really, the only major thing I miss (really, the wife misses it/not me) is the cargo space, and rear seating, which we really never had people sitting in the back anyway. Oh, the towing capacity suffered a bit, but hey....it's a JEEP, not a tow truck, and I can get by with it. Sorry this post is so lengthy, but wanted to relay my experience and the pros and cons. In short, if you want to downsize do it, but make sure you get the options you want.

Last edited:

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did the OP go with the 2-Door 2-Seater choice??? Asking for a friend :)

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I really like my 2019 Moab. I was originally going to get a 2 door but decided more room was better with my two dogs. I lost them both over the last 18 months so I'm thinking of downsizing to a 2 door Rubicon.

There has to be a thread discussing this but I couldn't find it.

I've owned a Jeep of some type for the last 30 years but they have all been Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wrangler Unlimited. Barring the current supply chain issues, any good/bad info I should be aware of?
Been Jeeping for 55 years and I am DIE HARD SWB. First thing I do when I buy a Jeep is take out the rear seat, put in a plastic bag, put in a box, and toss it back at trade-in time. Yes In 2015 I bought a 4-door, Rubicon Hard Rock edition, kept it 3 mo and traded it in..

No kids and was single most of my life. When I was wheeling hard and I did not even have my passenger seat in. I slept in my Jeep at night, no tent for me. The old straight 6 will idle and put out cold AC or heat all night...I was a rock crawler and the best engine was that old 6 in a TJ.

My other cars in life have been sports cars! Other than the 2015 Jeep 4 dr, I have owned a 4-door car, my trucks (F 450 have been crew cab (4 dr) but they are working trucks.

My wife (yea finally got married, still no kids) is a hard-core JTR, on her second one.

It boils down to your happy zone. I have 3 dogs, and they love having the rear seat out, gives them more space and it's a happy place for them. By the way. A girl I was dating moved from her apt to her new home. I moved her and a Washing machine, dryer, fridge etc all will fit in the back of a TJ with no seat (not all at one time of course) and the soft top rolled forward.

SWB = my daily driver in Dallas, Miami, NYC, and Atlanta etc etc traffic, not vehicle is better. NO curb so high my 4 lo could get me over any curb or those concrete side walls in what I call the canyons of major freeways. Often I would find myself on an afternoon flight out of DFW and I parked across from the airline I was flying. Yes, the sign often said Parking Full, not for SWB Jeep, can always find a space.

You have multiple vehicles you are good to go and at that time it becomes a personal choice. You may miss your 4 dr??? Chose wisely. Next week I will order my 2023 SWB Rubicon.

sadmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Snazzberry
Love my 2 door, but keep this in mind. if you're looking to mod your jeep, aftermarket items specific to 2 or 4 door models (running boards, tube/canvas doors, window storage bags, etc), are much more widely available for the 4 door.

It's pretty frustrating actually.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
I really like my 2019 Moab. I was originally going to get a 2 door but decided more room was better with my two dogs. I lost them both over the last 18 months so I'm thinking of downsizing to a 2 door Rubicon.

There has to be a thread discussing this but I couldn't find it.

I've owned a Jeep of some type for the last 30 years but they have all been Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wrangler Unlimited. Barring the current supply chain issues, any good/bad info I should be aware of?
Sorry about the doggie lost, and you get what you want/need-seems like I haven't seen them on the lot as far as used goes. Best of luck and keep the Jeep wave going.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Had both a 4 door Sahara and a 2 door Sport a few years back. The Sahara was a bit too big for my taste, but it was my wife's ride and she liked the space. Just ordered a new Sport S, 2 door. For me it has plenty of space even with rear seat folded up rather than removed and the kids are grown so four doors aren't necessary anymore.
Sponsored